What's new

on the verge of buying a Toshiba 42H81... (1 Viewer)

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
but a few nagging things are holding me back.

first of all, i finally saw one set up properly in a showroom and it looked MILES better than the TW40X81 ever looked (in my opinion).

when you can get this online for $1500 it almost seems too good to be true. i was about to buy an RCA F38310 but i just hear about too many problems with that set, plus i really need every extra inch i can get for a rather large living space.

these are the things holding me back :

my past problems with a TW40X81...focus and geometry problems that i could never properly fix. Out of the box, is focus going to be generally good with a 42H81? Also, only a slight shift in my viewing angle would really throw the color shift out of whack, all i had to do was move my head a few inches and i could tell which color gun my eyes were passing by (one of the reasons i was leaning towards a tube).

also, i plan on watching more dvd's than i will HDTV, and the Toshiba's upconversion of 480 material worries me. how much detail am i going to lose (or notice) on a 42 inch screen with a progressive signal? i won't have a progressive player for a while, so how is regular 16:9 dvd viewing on this set?

and just how bad is the "ghosting" i keep hearing about? what about this turning-itself-off problem?

Still, i think i am probably going to buy the set anyway, and it sounds like they've made some improvements over the old TW40X81.

any help is appreciated - thanks!!!!

ChadM

Stunt Coordinator
Sean,

Giving this a little bump because I too am interested in this TV. Great size for my available space.

Any comments?

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
i guess my main concern is just how much fine detail is lost in the progressive scan dvd "upconversion". i have bad memories of toshiba dvd players downconversion!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks