What's new

On the "Shrek Scene" a little too late. (1 Viewer)

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
My brother leaves tomorrow and so my mom and brother wanted to watch Shrek (one of the many DVDs I have but don't have time to watch, except, of course, The Fast and the Furious.) so after I finished my homework we popped it in in my room at about 9:45.
1.I was so under the impression that Shrek was a devoted nice character and not so ashamed of himself.

2.Had no idea such crude humor was in (which I enjoyed very much)
3.Menus are awesome, and I still can't get over the cussing for a PG rated film.

Very glad I have this movie. I know it's been awhile since this film's hype but you know, I haven't had time to get around to certain things. Oddly enough, I have watched very good films so far when I have had time and I know my "lucky" streak will be continuing because my friend had me buy the 2 disc set of Se7en" (awhile since I've seen it) and I can't wait. It'll have to wait until this weekend sadly:frowning:
-Bert

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
I STILL haven't watched this one. It's just sitting there on the shelf calling out to me. I'll get to it eventually. There are others in line ahead of it.

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
It's such a great movie and DVD. I just got it for Christmas but watched the DVD the week it came out (at a relative's house). Very cleverly done with lots of great extras. Great transfer too!

The menu system is cool!

Dustin D

Stunt Coordinator
I thought we were gonna refrain from one-sentence condemnations like that. No hard feelings, though.

Really, I think Shrek is an awesome movie. Haven't met anyone yet that didn't think it was great. There's a lot of good humor in it, and it's also a visual treat.

Oh, and I didn't like There's Something About Mary either, Butch. Shrek isn't the best film of all time, but it's a great family film and a solid entertaining experience. I don't feel it helped me find my place in the universe or anything like that, but it's still a favorite of mine.

Marshall Alsup

Second Unit
I just watched it about a week ago for the first time. I hadn't gone out of my way to see it till then because it just looked too much like a kiddie movie. I have to say that I was wrong. I enjoyed Shrek WAY MORE than I thought I would. I dont think it was overrated....

Later,

Marshall

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
Man, I just got back from my friend's house grilling chicken and doing HW (unfortunately) and hooking up his reciever, and what not.
Man, I have to watch Shrek again because the first time I accidently put in Disc 1 and so it was full screen, damn cropped crap!! I want in widescreen :frowning:
"and wipe your....face.." "I've got to save my ass"
Good stuff.
-Bert
P.S: Anyone know if "The Score" DVD is supposedly good, saw it in the theater and I heard the DVD was a great transfer, etc. Is this true?

mike martin

Stunt Coordinator
Butch wrote:

The most overrated movie since There's Something About Mary
I was just about to dance for joy that someone agreed with me; but then you dissed Mary. Oh well. As for Shrek, well, I just don't see what people got all charged up about. I didn't catch it at the theaters and watched a friends DVD. The disk does look good but the movie seems nothing special. Certainly nothing nearly as good as Monsters Inc. for instance. I think people were just so starved for anything that didn't suck this summer that it made Shrek seem like prime rib in a sea of stale crackers.

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
I think people were just so starved for anything that didn't suck this summer that it made Shrek seem like prime rib in a sea of stale crackers.
Are you implying Marshall, Dustin, Scott, Neil, and I are out of our minds and not even functioning on our own :confused: Come on now, I saw plenty of great movies, doesn't mean I had to see them in the theater, just very good movies.Even in the theaters, are you saying The Fast and the Furious was bad, Kiss of the Dragon, Scary Movie 2, etc. were bad?!? At first, I myself thought Shrek was dung, but after I saw it, I'm telling you, I liked it.
-I'm not meaning to bust your balls, Mike, but I just had to lay down my statement. No harsh feelings.
-Bert

Matt Malto

Stunt Coordinator
My 2 year old is addicted to this movie. I think I have all the lines memorized at this point. It certainly helps that I enjoy the movie as well. :)

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
Oh well, you know what they say: "different strokes..." :)
I just thought it was cleverly done, entertaining, and much more humorous than I expected it to be. The icing on the cake, for me, was the tremendous job Dreamworks did on the DVD.

Chris Maynard

Supporting Actor
Well Shrek was a box office smash and the following home media sales broke records.

Overrated? If you think so.

Well I guess myself and 10's of millions of other people around the world are ok with that.

Greg W L

Agent
Watched it again last night with the family, and yup, it is a great family movie. Good writing, great visuals and a good job on the extras. Also, everyone got the widescreen version (and the other) so maybe some of those not already convinced will slip the w/s in and become converted!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Even in the theaters, are you saying The Fast and the Furious was bad, Kiss of the Dragon, Scary Movie 2, etc. were bad?!?
I'm not Mike, but I'll go on the record: yes, all of those movies were bad. As for Shrek, I thought it was watchable but agree with those who feel it's overrated. Some have made it out to be the most creative, inventive, and hilarious animated movie ever made, but I felt it was fairly average and didn't compare to the best Disney material...

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
There was a question about the score further up that haven't been answered yet in this thread. I think the score looked great, apparently these people did not:
http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...o_4/score.html
As for Shrek, I also agree it was overrated. I did get some chuckles out of it, but what annoyed me most was that me movie so deliberately seemed to go up against Disney or something. I am a big Disney fan and will admit I may have felt stepped on the toes or something, but I just think they might have done better. Shrek felt like animation for people that doesn't like animation to me. I sincerely hope Shrek doesn't start a trend.

Michael Caicedo

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Caicedo
I am very fond of Shrek too. In my opinion the animation was superb, the character voices had some really good performances ( I loved Eddie Murphy and John Lithgow), the humor was sassy. I am a fan of Disney animation too but actually enjoyed the digs at Disney. I can't help it, I live in DisneyTown. I thought the extras on the dvd were great and all for the price of 16.99. The karaoke swamp party made me crack up...

I like big butts and I cannot lie...

Jeff Blair

Second Unit
I must say that I liked this one. Yes it is for kids. But, there is enough in there for us big kids. :) I wish they would have put the P&S on the second disk, insted of the other way around. I made the same mistake, and put disk 1 in the first time. Yes, it did step on some toes over at Disney, but it was supposed to do that one. "I am a real boy" ;) I think you either liked it, or you don't. People will always have there own opinions of a movie. We just have to accept that, and not get nasty about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks