What's new

On the ropes about hookup (1 Viewer)

BobHaymond

Stunt Coordinator
:b I've placed several posts on hookup and gotten good answers; in fact, about a week ago I thought I thought that I understood how it was to be done. I can hook up what others are telling me and I'm sure it'll work, but I'd be a lot happier if some could help clear up the parts of the matter which I just don't understand. These questions are sorta jumbled but please address any or all:

My TV is a Sony 36XBR450 and has two [S-video/audio] inputs, one composite/audio input and two component video /audio inputs.

i) by now, I can't see the reason for sending a video signal from the A/V to the TV. Seems that most agree that component video from DVD goes directly to TV and digital audio goes to A/V. Well, why is this not the case for a sat receiver.

ii)Can a Sat audio signal be split so that it can directly go to TV OR go to A/V when one wants full sound? Same issue for a VCR?

I'm still in the carpentry stage so these issues are not holding things up but it's time to order cables.

To those that have already given advice, don't take this as arguementative; don't understand means EXACTLY that.

BH

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Bob. I'll try some of these.

i) Sending video through the receiver gives you 2 things:

- you can see the on-screen menus from your receiver

- Ease of use when switching from DSS to DVD. Without going through the receiver, you have to use 2 remotes to do this.

I'd suggest you run SVideo from the DVD player and the DSS unit into the receiver, then from the receiver to the TV. (Yes, you can have 2 outputs working from the DVD player). Fire up the TV, look at the SVideo feed and have fun flipping between sources with just the receiver remote.

ii) If you are sending Analog (L/R) signals, yes you can split it. But its not a good idea.

Does your Sat receiver have a RF (CATV "F" connector) output? I have this running to Antenna B on my TV so we can watch the Sat system without fireing up the receiver and 'remote juggle'. The picture is not as good, but the ease-of-use for the kids justifies it.

BobHaymond

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks. I had begun suspecting some of this. As I'd bet there are others interested, I'll continue some questions if you have the time. Being a programmer by trade [not-with-standing that that I'm now retarded and not by trade] I figgered I'd be Prontoing in due course.

Also, there's another issue that comes to bear: are there not som TV's that do a better job of separating the video than the Sat's? I don't know whether this applies to the XBR or not.

If I run the VCR thru the A/V, does that imply that the surround speakers must be used rather than those of the TV?

Thanks again, for your kind help. BH

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Your television has a Comb filter that takes Composite video and converts it to SVideo.

But your SAT system gets it's video already separated. So if you use at least a SVideo connection, you by-pass the comb filter in your TV. Now you are only limited by the equipment used to create the video.

The extra conversion to Composite->SVideo in your TV can generally never be as good as leaving the signal separated.

Note: The difference between Composite & SVideo from a DVD player is dramatic/visible. But doing the same comparison with your Sat system may not be as different. It really depends upon how good the upstream source is.

When I did this test when I first got my Sat receiver, I found little difference. I was using a TV movie on a network channel for the comparison. People later told me that using a premium channel like HBO may have shown a difference.

Yes, if you only run your signal through the receiver, you must turn the receiver on and use the HT speakers.

But you can always run RF coax to the TV into Antenna B to use the TV speakers if you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks