"On the Fly" Audio Track Access

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Bigbee, Oct 12, 2002.

1. Scott Bigbee

Scott Bigbee Auditioning

Here's something I've noticed on a few discs that always bugs me and I wonder if anyone else thinks its a problem too.

Watching the excellent Fox DVD of Moulin Rouge I wanted to surf into the different audio commentary tracks while watching the movie.

Unfortunately this is one of those discs that doesn't allow you to change audio tracks while watching the movie. Instead of simply being able to hit the audio button and cycle them you have to go through the menu screens to do it.

Sometimes rather than listening to the whole track you just want to check it out during a particular scene and see if they have anything interesting to say. When you have to go through the menus it slows things down so much it just isn't worth it.

I haven't taken the time to note which movies do it and whether its the standard for that studio or not.

Does anyone else know or care about this?

2. Brandon_S

Brandon_S Second Unit

Scott,

I agree it would be great if these studios let you use the audio button to surf around tracks. The reason they lock out the button on releases that are DD/DTS is because some people's receivers with DD capability don't support DTS. Sending a DTS signal to a receiver that does not support it can damage your speakers. However, with almost all receiver supporting DD/DTS now, we will hopefully see a change in this trend soon.

3. Sanjay Gupta

Sanjay Gupta Supporting Actor

Sanjay Gupta

4. Jason Goodmanso

Jason Goodmanso Stunt Coordinator

What's worse is there are certain discs that start playing automatically, but but default to 2.0 instead of 5.1. My Metalica Cunning Stunts and S&M discs do that. So after the movie starts, I have to press menu, wait for the menus to load, find the audio options, wait for some more menus to load, then select 5.1, exit the menu - more loading time, then I get to watch the concert DVD.

Would be a heck of a lot easier if I could just switch the audio options on the fly.

5. Michael Harris

Michael Harris Screenwriter

Not being able to change audio tracks on the fly has been one of my biggest pet peeves since the introduction of the DVD format. Universal has been the biggest miscreant in this issue. It is dumb, dumb, dumb and a real pain. I have never, ever, seen a genuine convincing argument from any source as to way NOT being able to switch on the fly is necessary. Sorry, but this one of the few issues out of the many discussed in this forum that really bothers me. I really enjoy commentary tracks and not being able to select them on the fly effects my enjoyment of them.

6. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

The only time the audio track MUST be locked is with seamless branching. Apparently if you don't and you change the channel it screws it up big time. Other than that, NO EXCUSE FOR LOCKING MY AUDIO BUTTON!

7. Simon Basso

Simon Basso Stunt Coordinator

I have a multiregion player which appears to defeat this restriction. I cannot think of any disc which I cannot change at will. Granted, I haven't tested them all because I didn't realise it was possible to restrict the facility, but certainly every dts disc, from any region, can be changed at will. Does this mean it's actually more work to format a disc to lock out changes than not?

8. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    My beef is the dts disks that default to the DD2.0 option and have you need to highlight the dts option, select it, and then have to select ok after that. If I buy the dts version, why would I want to listen to the DD2.0 track?

9. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Simon, it's simply a matter of checking or unchecking a box

When a DVD is given to an authoring house, most studios have a general template that dictates the basic structure of DVDs from that studio, and one of the biggies on Universal/Disney's list is locking the audio key. Due to the fact that Universal did so many DTS titles, and it was thought that knuckleheads would enable DTS early on they decided we really didn't need to flip audio on the fly, so that's why I haven't listened to 90% of my Universal commentaries.

Disney on the other hand likes to use the Alt angle feature so that captions and titles show up in the appropriate language, so with The Rock in French, it comes up "Le Rock" and so on. They also think that the idiot will then hit the audio key, and GASP! The titles won't match!

10. Simon Basso

Simon Basso Stunt Coordinator

But this choice is not made permanent by the encoding on the disc though? What a waste of time.

11. Michael Harris

Michael Harris Screenwriter

12. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Hmm. Well it depends on whether they thought they could get successfully sued, I would think...

It certainly annoys the hell out of me. Didn't realise it was DTS discs where that was usually a problem - I've just noticed some don't let you do it...