What's new

On the Beach (1 Viewer)

John Madia

Second Unit
Does anyone have "On the Beach" starring Gregory Peck? I'm wondering what the quality of the DVD is. MGM's catalog releases can vary wildly so I wanted to know before I picked it up.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I haven't watched it in a while....probably never on my RPTV, but I don't remember it looking too bad.

It's 1.66:1 non-anamorphic, but I seem to remember it being fairly decent.

If you don't get more info, I'll have another look at it when I have some time.

EDIT: Ok, I just did a quick flip though and it seems to look pretty good. For the price, I think it's worth it. Damn good movie.

EDIT #2: Ok, it's still on. That's the thing about good movies, no matter when I step in, I always end up captivated. Anyhow, I'd say it's a little better than "pretty good" transfer-wise. It's actually really pleasing to my eye. Back to the movie... :)

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
its out 16x9 in Korea im told. This is a great film, with a solid performace by the great Gregory Peck. The transfer is very good, but could use Enhancement.

The eerie scenes in San Francisco are worth the pirce of the disc alone.

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
Agree with Rain, saw it a while ago, did not notice anything real bad or good (as far as transfer/sound/...). Did Fred Astaire won his Best Supporting Oscar in this movie?

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Fred Astaire has never won an Oscar.

He was nominated once, but it was for The Towering Inferno.

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
Just a wonderful, wonderful movie and fine performances by all. One of my all time Gregory Peck movies.

John Madia

Second Unit
Thanks for the info. I ordered it and just got shipping confirmation.

Also, I just saw the Towering Inferno recently and don't think Fred Astaire deserved the nomination. Not because he wasn't good in the picture, it's just that his character was severly underwritten (despite the movie's running time) and one note. I'm guessing he was nominated just because he was Fred Astaire. Still, his performance did cause me to seek out more of his movies and I did want to get On The Beach anyway.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
The only problem I have with this film — I know, we're talking about the DVD — is that "Waltzing Matilda" ends up playing in my head over and over for about a day or two after screening the thing.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Jack,
I have the same reaction whenever I watch "Donovan's Reef" with John Wayne and Lee Marvin.:)

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks