On-screen caption placement of DVD movies

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TonyTone, Jan 23, 2003.

1. TonyTone

TonyTone Supporting Actor

Don't know if it belongs in this particular forum (admins, feel free to move it if necessary) but...is caption placement (i.e., what part of the screen is it displayed) a function of the TV/display, DVD player, or both? I ask because whenever I enable captions (on the DVD movie, not via built-in CC) on more than a few DVD movies, I find that with my Sony 27" XBR TV/Tosh 5700 DVD player, the captions appear in the black bar area (i.e., below the picture), whereas with my Sony 36" XBR TV/Panny RP82 DVD player, the captions are displayed within the picture (granted that they are displayed at the bottom of the picture) itself.

So...what determines exactly where the captions appear, and why the inconsistency? Ideally, one would think that it would be neater if the captions appeared below the picture, rather than within the picture itself (thereby obscuring part of the viewable image).[​IMG]

2. Micah Lloyd

Micah Lloyd Stunt Coordinator

I always thought it was part of the coding, itself. That someone types it in and codes "bottom-left", "-right", etc. It's noticeable when there are opening titles (written by, directed by, etc.) and the captions are at the top of the screen as to not obscure the text.

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Exactly where the captions land is a decision by the DVD player maker.

Because of overscan on TV sets, the TV industry had a long standing guideline of keeping text inboard of the outer ten percent of the screen on all sides. This would mean that the first and last 48 scan lines could not be used. For a movie of 1.77:1 or 1.85:1, one line of text will barely fit underneath the picture. Modern TV sets should not have that much overscan but nevertheless some DVD player makers may adhere to that guideline anyway.

Also for anamorphic programs played in 16:9 mode on the DVD player, the captions must be within the middle 16:9 area on a squeezed 4:3 TV, as there are no scan lines to produce the captions outside that area.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

4. TonyTone

TonyTone Supporting Actor