? on S&V HT Tune-up

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Herrod, Oct 13, 2002.

1. James Herrod

James Herrod Stunt Coordinator

Greetings,
    Just got my Mits WS-55411 and went through the video tune-up section. I'm wondering about the white-level test, though. I guess you're supposed to adjust the contrast until just before the two top rectangles blend into each other, but with my contrast set to max, the rectangle that's second from the top is still grey. Doe's this mean that I should have my contrast set to maximum? From what I've been hearing, that's not a good thing with a RPTV. Any advise on this would be appreciated. Thanks Much. Jim

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    I have the same problem on my 411 using Video Essentials. Even though the test didn't really work, I've got my contrast set to about 40%.

-Robert

3. Jo_M

Jo_M Stunt Coordinator

Never set your Contrast (Picture) to the highest setting. That's the quickest way to burn in a static image. Are you talking about the test that checks for blooming? I'd have to go back and look at the disc again.

4. James Herrod

James Herrod Stunt Coordinator

Yea, that's the one. During the demo, it shows the top two bars turn white and combine with the contrast set about 70%. I guess this is where the blooming starts. I never reach that point, even with the contrast at max.

5. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

I'm no ISF tech, but it sounds as if your contrast is at safe levels even if the number is high. The Avia test is showing you what your contrast actually is, whereas the number (70%, 100%, whatever) is arbitrary.

Until you hear from someone who truly knows what he's talking about, I wouldn't worry about it.

Jan

6. Steve_L_B

Steve_L_B Stunt Coordinator

I'm not an ISF tech either, but I believe I've read that even if you do not see blooming, your contrast may still be too high. The point of blooming is the point at which the CRT phosphors are being severely over driven. The analogy has been used of this being similar to the red-line of an automobile tachometer. The safe operating area is well below this limit. Even though you didn't see any blooming, you don't really know how close to this limit you are. I'd reduce the contrast to the lowest level that allows the white rectangle to still appear white and presents a watchable picture under your normal viewing conditions. The picture may seem a bit dim initially, but most people adjust to this within a few days and prefer it over the higher settings. You can always turn it up a bit as required for brighter viewing conditions.

Steve