"On rails " shooters really limiting?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew s wells, Oct 26, 2002.

1. Andrew s wells

Andrew s wells Second Unit

I dont think so personally, but why does it seem like any time a game like panzer comes out this term is the first to spring up? What about older games like thunder force,galactic attack, radiant silvergun, mars matrix and countelss others? Why are those never called "on rails" shooters, as they also have all had "forced scrolling" is it just because its from a different perspective that they think you should just be able to explore anywhere you want? thoughts?

2. DwightK

DwightK Second Unit

If Panzer is a rails shooter I for one wont be purchasing. If I'm flying and want to go over that hill.. no, that one right there, not this gully here, then I will go there. If I cannot by game design the game will not appeal to me.

3. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

Rail shooters are played either from a behind the ship perspective or first person.

4. Andrew s wells

Diwght.. so you never played any of the previous panzer games?.. wow... i would suhhest at least giving this game a rent. Sure you may not end up liking it, but its not nearly as limiting as it sounds.

5. Romier S

Romier S Producer

6. Andrew s wells

Thats a little odd. I was just about to edit my last post and say maybe romier could back me up on this.[​IMG]
    Hopefully the game will be a HUGE success and maybe, just maybe panzer saga will get that sequel all the fans are craving.[​IMG]

7. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

8. Romier S

Romier S Producer

9. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

Rail shooters can be fun. One word: REZ.

10. Andrew s wells

Just curious.. how does panzer not allow you to move out of the way like the traditional shooter? a game that was indeed restrictive and where you could only move the cursor was starblade. To me, for the type of game panzer is, if you had TOTAL freedom, it would slow the games intensity level dramatically. In no way am i trying to force getting a game on anyone, i would just hate for a game that im sure will be as great as the others in the series to be overlooked over, simply due to the fact it doesnt allow true eploration.

11. DwightK

DwightK Second Unit

I come from a strictly PC gaming background where there never have been many rail games. Some of my favorite games (flight games) are ones like the Wing Commander games, Tie Fighter, and some flight sims like Longbow. All those type games are completely freeform. As someone above mentioned, dodging etc. plays a role. The "rail type" games I have tried in the past were disappointing for me at best. I still cannot abide the view from behind driving type games. I MUST drive from inside the car in GT3, WRC, Rallycross, etc. Maybe that is the underlying reason.

So, no I have no idea what the earlier Panzer games might have been like. In this new console realm for me I have greatly enjoyed racers like GT3 and am now having a blast with Buffy, Silent Hill 2, and oddworld so my gaming experiences are expanding. Funny that considering I bought my first Apple ][e in 1981 or 2 to play Wizardy 1 and Ultima when I was in the Navy.

Tis fun trying out new genres to me and finding out the ones that still dont appeal to me. Though so I cannot say that a rail game isnt in the future at some point.

As to waht was mentioned above, I frequent boards such as this one, Arstechnica, etc. just so I dont make a poor purchase decision. Except for a few mistakes that is:b

12. Steven_V

Steven_V Stunt Coordinator

This type of gameplay has always been referred to as "on rails" shooter. This term is just used to differentiate this type gameplay from "free-roaming" shooters such as Rogue Leader (GCN).

There is nothing wrong with this term or with this type of gameplay. In fact one "on rails" shooter also happens to be one of the most successful game series of all time... Starfox (SNES) and Starfox64 (N64)!

13. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

[q]Rail shooters can be fun. One word: REZ[q]

You have already said too much.

Starfox, Starfox 64, and Starfox Adventures Arwing levels are all on rails and play exactly how PDO will.

14. Graeme Clark

Except you can spin your view around in PD. That was just the coolest thing to do on my brand new Saturn back in 95.

15. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

16. Romar Armas

Romar Armas Second Unit

Actually, you can move up/down/left/right in PDO and other PD Series. There are certain parts in PDO where you have to AVOID obstacles. This is exactly how it was in the first two. You are NOT stuck in one position. You are free to avoid bullets and enemies.

Too bad the Sega Saturn wasn't as popular because a lot of people definitely missed some great games by SEGA. Panzer Dragoon Saga was one of the best RPGs.

17. Romier S

Romier S Producer

18. Graeme Clark

Didn't even mention VF2 or Sega Rally.

19. VinT

VinT Agent

I've never played any of the Panzer Dragoon games, but I've certantly heard of them. Unfortunately the majority of the mainstream public probably have never heard of it. And that is probably going to hurt its sales. It's problem is name recognition, not the on-rail gameplay.

Microsoft needs to market this game big time, unlike Nintendo's Star Fox, which is a well established brand name.
    Interestingly, StarFox Armada and Panzer Dragoon Orta are both scheduled to be released early next year. If StarFox comes out on time (which I highly doubt), it would make for an interesting shooter showdown.

20. Andrew s wells

I'm very curious as to how the new starfox will be gameplay wise. Hope its like the classic ones, and not a roam around and find enemies to shoot game. I wish we would hurry up and get the new xbox mag.....DYING to try panzer,splinter cell, tj& earl 3, and house 3....and see the halo 2 movie....and whatever else i may have forgotten.[​IMG]