What's new

? on OTA HD Broadcast, signal... thanks (1 Viewer)

Michael_Victor

Stunt Coordinator
I currently have an HD set with receiver. I subscribe to directv and get 509 and 199 in HD, well, on March 1st, our local channels will be broadcasting HD OTA, now, I live about 30 to 40 miles from the center of the City. I live on the outskirts, to better explain, I am about 1/10 of a mile from the sign that says, "city limits" not sure if any of you guys/gals are in my perdicament but if you are, how strong should I expect the broadcast. In addition, the sales rep mentioned that all I would need is a regular antenna connected to my HD rec. I really didn't buy that, I am thinking that I may need a Terk Powered Antennae.. any thoughts?

Mike I

Supporting Actor
You really need to find out where you local stations have their digital tower ...It very well might not be located near the center of the city even if their broadcast studios are in the center of town....30 to 40 miles in a generally flat area though would not require anything more the a regular antenna...Make sure the antenna has UHF capabilities as most digital channels are UHF..

Michael_Victor

Stunt Coordinator
so if theoretically I am 50 miles from the tower where the broadcast is, then would you think that a Terk 100 would work well?

David Forbes

Supporting Actor
Do NOT buy a Terk antenna of any kind. They are overpriced junk. I've tried many and returned them all. People more knowledgeable than I have all said they are pretty uniformly terrible.
That said, I am picking up digital stations about 40 miles away from me with a $30 Radio Shack VU-75 yagi antenna that I installed in my attic with a rotor. It is a MYTH that you need some kind of special antenna for DTV. As Mike said, they're just UHF broadcasts. Your sales rep was right when he said all you need is a regular antenna.
You should go to www.antennaweb.org and enter your address information to see what it tells you about distances and such. The Radio Shack double-bow-tie antenna has also been getting rave reviews by those who use it.
(No, I don't work for Radio Shack.)

Michael_Victor

Stunt Coordinator
AWESOME sites guys, the last 10 minutes with your assistance helped more than 20 days and about 30 phone calls to various places around here about this subject.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks