What's new

On orangutans and extinction... (1 Viewer)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
A new update from National Geographic states that the orangutan could be extinct in the wild within twenty years.

Go here for the full story.

This really strikes a sad note with me...

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
That's too bad. Maybe they should stop worrying about morality laws and concentrate more on curbing illegal logging. And international credit fraud, while they're at it.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
I really wish people would give more than a passing glance to thing like this. WHY more people haven't commented on this thread, or even read this thread, is beyond me.

People wonder all the time WHY I rant about the waste of paper, the excess of plastic being used, people not recycling ..... People TRYING to be better than they are.... THIS is why!!!!

People think "hey, how does this affect me??", or "Who give a shit?, I've got more important things to worry about"

IF THEY KNEW BETTER THEY wouldn't pass it off like this!

It actually quite depressing to think about!

Brent

StephenA

Screenwriter
It's real sad to me, especially considering on how close orangutans are to us. I really hope that orangutans can recover, as well as other endangered animals and plants. People can be so cruel, not caring about anything that's not themselves or family. Gotta think about other stuff because what affects some will end up affecting all down the line.

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
Orangatangs are not the only Great Ape threatened, unfortunately. The inceasing encroachment of Humans into the remaining forest, as well as the accelerating trade of bush meat, is seriously threatening the entire Great Ape (and monkies as well) population(s).

John Watson

Screenwriter
Tisn't beauty that's killing the beasts

:frowning:

I wanna add Planet of the Apes to my DVD cvollection, before WE become extinct

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the link Steve. One of my best ever experiences was when my wife, son and I were in Sarawak, we went to a park where orangutans are being retuned to the wild. This is probably an hour or two outside the city of Kuching and is well worth a visit. So the government is doing some positive things, but Malaysia does not have a real handle on logging in Borneo—even so they are way ahead of Indonesia.

BTW, the way the word, ‘orangutan’ translates to ‘man of the forest’. An apt description.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
This just sucks.

Reminds me of that captive male orangutan that refuses to mate with female orangutans because he prefers female humans instead...

"Earth women are too fragile" -- Worf

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
Too bad. Orangutans are delicious, especially deep-fried with whale blubber. :D

We all know they won't become extinct, because otherwise where is Dr Zaius going to come from?

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor
:frowning: Sad news indeed.

Has anyone ever sat and watched the Gorillas at a zoo and not felt anything but immense sadness and empathy? Their eyes show such a deep understanding of their situation (captivity being the least of the species problems).

I experience pity and sadness when viewing these great and noble creatures reduced to entertainment for the masses. But such is the price of being endangered. Ugh.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Rick, so what is your opinion on Reality TV shows? Do you think humans can be considered endangered now? :D

E.O. Wilson was right...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks