On orangutans and extinction...

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by SteveGon, Sep 30, 2003.

1. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

A new update from National Geographic states that the orangutan could be extinct in the wild within twenty years.

Go here for the full story.

This really strikes a sad note with me...

2. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

That's too bad. Maybe they should stop worrying about morality laws and concentrate more on curbing illegal logging. And international credit fraud, while they're at it.

3. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

I really wish people would give more than a passing glance to thing like this. WHY more people haven't commented on this thread, or even read this thread, is beyond me.

People wonder all the time WHY I rant about the waste of paper, the excess of plastic being used, people not recycling ..... People TRYING to be better than they are.... THIS is why!!!!

People think "hey, how does this affect me??", or "Who give a shit?, I've got more important things to worry about"

IF THEY KNEW BETTER THEY wouldn't pass it off like this!

It actually quite depressing to think about!

Brent

4. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

It's real sad to me, especially considering on how close orangutans are to us. I really hope that orangutans can recover, as well as other endangered animals and plants. People can be so cruel, not caring about anything that's not themselves or family. Gotta think about other stuff because what affects some will end up affecting all down the line.

5. Lance Nichols

Lance Nichols Supporting Actor

Orangatangs are not the only Great Ape threatened, unfortunately. The inceasing encroachment of Humans into the remaining forest, as well as the accelerating trade of bush meat, is seriously threatening the entire Great Ape (and monkies as well) population(s).

6. Kevin Farley

Kevin Farley Second Unit

bush meat?

7. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Tisn't beauty that's killing the beasts

[​IMG]

I wanna add Planet of the Apes to my DVD cvollection, before WE become extinct

8. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Thanks for the link Steve. One of my best ever experiences was when my wife, son and I were in Sarawak, we went to a park where orangutans are being retuned to the wild. This is probably an hour or two outside the city of Kuching and is well worth a visit. So the government is doing some positive things, but Malaysia does not have a real handle on logging in Borneo—even so they are way ahead of Indonesia.

BTW, the way the word, ‘orangutan’ translates to ‘man of the forest’. An apt description.

9. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

This just sucks.

Reminds me of that captive male orangutan that refuses to mate with female orangutans because he prefers female humans instead...

"Earth women are too fragile" -- Worf

10. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

Too bad. Orangutans are delicious, especially deep-fried with whale blubber. [​IMG]

We all know they won't become extinct, because otherwise where is Dr Zaius going to come from?

11. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

If you don't think this impacts you, maybe it impacts someone you know. Sarawak is one of the most bio-diverse regions in the world. Here is a link to a project about a new HIV treatment that uses native plants from the region:
    http://www.sarawak-medichem.com/cala/dev.htm

12. Ricky Hustle

Ricky Hustle Supporting Actor

[​IMG] Sad news indeed.

Has anyone ever sat and watched the Gorillas at a zoo and not felt anything but immense sadness and empathy? Their eyes show such a deep understanding of their situation (captivity being the least of the species problems).

I experience pity and sadness when viewing these great and noble creatures reduced to entertainment for the masses. But such is the price of being endangered. Ugh.

13. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Rick, so what is your opinion on Reality TV shows? Do you think humans can be considered endangered now? [​IMG]

E.O. Wilson was right...