What's new

On my pre/pro, use same settings for dts as dd after cal with avia? (1 Viewer)

Todd smith

Supporting Actor
I have read that some people just use the same trim settings for dts as DD after calibration with Avia considering Avia does not have a seperate dts calibration section. This sounds good on my system, just louder so I have to turn down the volume. Are these DD settings correct for dts? Dts just is louder at these settings, but it still sounds balanced. Is it correct to use the same DD calibration settings for dts?

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
IMO no, as DTS has subwoofer and rears bumped up by +3dB. So for my own system- I set the DTS modes (independent of DD) with -3dB for both sub & rears. It sounds alot better that way.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Yes Avia is perfect to do the calibration with.The level difference between them sometimes you observ[overall not just the sub and surr.]is due to the fact that Dolby uses something called "Dialog noralization" or "dialnorm",it is part of Dolby Digital's encode/decode, and can't be turned off by the decoding[your receiver] end.You can do a search here[archives] or go to Dolby's site for more info.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
FWIW, you could follow the advice of some of the pros (Roger Dressler of Dolby, and John Kotches of WSR) and just use the test tones in the pre/pro. I typically do not run seperate settings for DTS, and have not really noticed any issues. If the sub and rears are hot +3db, I am not complaining:D

Failing that, if your pre/pro has any sort of presets (my NAD 762 has 5) you could buy Digital Video Essentials, which has seperate DTS and DD tones, and set up a preset for each.

Side note: DVE is known to have a LFE test tone that is about 10dB too hot (at least with DD), so you would want to tweak the sub using other means. If you search on that subject, there is a pretty long thread on the subject.

BGL

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks