What's new

On-Line SPL Calculator (1 Viewer)

I've written a little on-line program that calculates the peak sound pressure level (SPL) that you can expect at your listening position, based on some basic inputs like speaker sensitivity, amplifier power, distance, and number of speakers.
It's fun to see what your system is capable of; or do some "what-ifs" for that upgrade you're contemplating.
Check it out: SPL Calculator Link
Comments and suggestions welcome!

Drew Eckhardt

Stunt Coordinator
That's pretty groovy. However, there are still a few things which can be added:

1. In practice, you usually get some boost from the room because of reverberation at all frequencies. This applies to all speakers and there are formulas to figure it out.

Maybe Tom V & company could share this with us?

2. Speakers radiating into 1/4 space or 1/8 space get a 3 and 6dB boost respectively over half-space output. This applies to sub-woofers stuck against a wall or in a corner.

3. At low frequencies you get room gain. This gets you reasonable bass extension in spite of a high anechoic F3 point.

Thank you for the suggestions! I am thinking about adding some radio buttons for some basic room and speaker mounting configurations. It's a bit of a trade off between keeping things simple enough for most users while still allowing for some advanced features.

Feedback welcomed.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Even without my sub put into the equation, I got a reading of just under 114dB. It would be interesting to see how much the results would change by adding my sub (which I have measured at 115dB by itself). I'm figuring about 115-116 overall dB?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks