On-line petitions: actually useful?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Broadman, Mar 9, 2002.

1. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Every so often, I see people on HTF pushing on-line petitions for some thing or other. But, do these things actually do anything? I read that studios don't pay any attention to those because they feel it's much too easy for someone to "sign" them. In fact, any type of petitions almost never do any good. There have been a few cases where hand-written letters helped tipped the scale if a studio were on the fence about something.

Are there any examples when on-line petitions actually were effective?

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I think some will argue the Wonka Petition was an example of a successful one- but I think the general outcry and bad comments from reviewers would have pucshed that issue to the front with/without a formal petition.

It seemed the success of the petition and the decision by Warner were both EFFECTS of the outcry, I don't see the petition being the cause of warner caving.

I know a few people who work in various studios- and they all pretty much say the see the online petition as more humorous than useful.

-Vince

3. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

In the same way that politicians don't take e-mail comments that seriously, online petitions don't carry much credibility either. If they generate enough signatures, they can generate publicity, however. And that might produce results...

4. BrianB

BrianB Producer

5. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

I find the petitons very useless in general. Some of these petitions are getting so obscure and nitpicking there is no chance anyone would take them seriously.

Wonka may be the exception, but then again the bad press may have relieved the situation and in reality the petition is useless.

The problem with many of these petitions and especially the DVD related ones is the numbers that participate. If only a few hundred or even a few thousand sign, it is not a large enough number to make an impression with a studio regarding a financial decision.

J

6. BrianB

BrianB Producer

The /number/ of petitions doesn't help either in my opinion. There's petitions out there for every little minor problem, sometimes for problems that don't even exist. It waters down the impact.

7. Josh_Hill

Josh_Hill Screenwriter

If I remember correctly, the Superman and Say Anything petitions worked out pretty well.

8. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer