What's new

On-line petitions: actually useful? (1 Viewer)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Every so often, I see people on HTF pushing on-line petitions for some thing or other. But, do these things actually do anything? I read that studios don't pay any attention to those because they feel it's much too easy for someone to "sign" them. In fact, any type of petitions almost never do any good. There have been a few cases where hand-written letters helped tipped the scale if a studio were on the fence about something.

Are there any examples when on-line petitions actually were effective?

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I think some will argue the Wonka Petition was an example of a successful one- but I think the general outcry and bad comments from reviewers would have pucshed that issue to the front with/without a formal petition.

It seemed the success of the petition and the decision by Warner were both EFFECTS of the outcry, I don't see the petition being the cause of warner caving.

I know a few people who work in various studios- and they all pretty much say the see the online petition as more humorous than useful.

-Vince

Don Black

Screenwriter
In the same way that politicians don't take e-mail comments that seriously, online petitions don't carry much credibility either. If they generate enough signatures, they can generate publicity, however. And that might produce results...

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Are there any examples when on-line petitions actually were effective?
I don't know if it was a petition that was successful per se, but the vociferous My So Called Life online community was most definitely behind its upcoming DVD release.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I find the petitons very useless in general. Some of these petitions are getting so obscure and nitpicking there is no chance anyone would take them seriously.

Wonka may be the exception, but then again the bad press may have relieved the situation and in reality the petition is useless.

The problem with many of these petitions and especially the DVD related ones is the numbers that participate. If only a few hundred or even a few thousand sign, it is not a large enough number to make an impression with a studio regarding a financial decision.

J

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
The /number/ of petitions doesn't help either in my opinion. There's petitions out there for every little minor problem, sometimes for problems that don't even exist. It waters down the impact.

Josh_Hill

Screenwriter
If I remember correctly, the Superman and Say Anything petitions worked out pretty well.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
If I remember correctly, the Superman and Say Anything petitions worked out pretty well.
Say Anything never had a petition per se, rather there was a well received thread in feedback that displayed that there was a real demand for the title (and I think it had to do with both the number of posters, and the amount that talked about other friends they had who asked about the title). This discussion actually spread over 2-3 internet forums, and showed a real interested in what some thought was an obscure title.

I think the fact that there was no formal petition for SAY ANYTHING actually helped this title, because it seemed more like a spontaneous outcry for a title people really wanted... where the petitions often seem like one guy bugging a bunch of people into signing who couldn't care less and probably won't plunk down their dollars on the finished product.

However, I also think Peter was having a little fun with us about the whole SAY ANYTHING thing. I have the feeling SAY ANYTHING was in the back of the minds at the DVD department at FOX for a while, and the large number of peopler asking about it just kicked it to the front of the schedule (and made a desire to try SE content).

From everyone I've chatted with, they all say the same thing: 100 snailmail letters will get more action than 10,000 emails or internet petition signatures.

It reminds me of elementary school- where some 4th grader would always try to get all the kids to sign a petition calling for the repeal of some school rule (no gum chewing, no shorts, no snowballs on the playground)-- which was comically futile.

-Vince

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks