on-line music store's, RMA and use

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Eric_L, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

Hi folks,

I am on dial-up right now, but soon my home will be restored and I can get back to highspeed surfin.

For Christmas I bought my wife a Creative Labs MP3 player. I never realized that the MP3 world had changed so much. It wasn't until recent I found out about the itunes limits, and I still don't completely understand them . My wife and I are total n00bs at this.

As I understand it, whatever we download has a certain number of times we can copy it and is only compatable with itunes software. Does that meant that if I dl an isong I cannot use it as background music on a video presentation of my family films/photos? If my HD fries I am only allowed so many times to back up before my collection is gone? If my wife and I each have an mp3 player we may not be able to shaer the same music, esp if we upgrade and swap songs between them at some time in the future?

I don't know these answeres. It gripes me that if I upgrade my player a few times it can zap my collection. It also gripes me if there are restrictions on the way I can use the songs I buy. Why buy them? It seems the industry is moving backwards on providing online content.

I understand most other sites have similar restrictions. Maybe someone with more experience can share with me what to expect with the various content providors. I'd love to hear some first-hand experience about this.

Thanks

2. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    I dont have exp with many. I was a subscriber to Rhapsody and liked it very much.

I now only listen to Mercora which is a FREE online music library comprised of anyone and everyone who is online at the moment.

Cant download anything, but you can listen all day for FREE [​IMG]

3. Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson Cinematographer

Al
    The only restriction on iTunes music is how many players are authorized to load the song. I think it's now 5. So you and your wife can both have the song on your mp3 players and PC. You can also deauthorized a player, so if you get a new one you can switch your songs to that without losing any of your five. I don't think using the song for background music woulg be aproblem as long as you aren't seliing your home video. Also, you can make a CD from the iTunes songs; once you have the CD it is like any other CD.

Finally, all this is only applicable to songs you buy from the iTunes store. Music you load can be loaded in mp3 format and does not carry the same restrictions.

4. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I believe that iTunes only sells music in Apple's proprietary protected AAC format. They do not sell music in the compressed MP3 format that can be played by your Creative Labs player.

5. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

Scott M. is correct. If you purchase a song from iTunes, it will be downloaded to your PC in [Apple proprietary] AAC format. In general, non-Apple players historically did not play AAC format, though recently, I recall reading that some of the new players from Creative Labs etc., were beginning to include this capability.

Furthermore, iTunes tracks how many times you burn an iTunes-purchased song/file to a CD (which converts from AAC to WAV during the burning process)... I believe the limit is 5 burns (may be more?). What iTunes can NOT control is what you do with this CD ... it can be ripped back to MP3 for use on any player (I assume a small quality drop due to multiple format conversions, but have not have any problems.)

Of course ... songs ripped into iTunes from a store-bought CD can be ripped in AAC or MP3 format (you chose in options) and there is no limit to the # of CD burns you can maker from these songs, which you own essentially unlimited rights to. (This is why I generally don't buy albums on iTunes, only occasional singles).

Scott

6. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Henry, thank you very much for that site. About to download and check it out. Looks like a great alternative to the normal avenues of net radio!

7. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    NP Kyle.

Its still pretty much in its infancy. But as more people like yourself download it and make your library available for others, the online library keeps growing.

If you dont mind, let me have your username so i can listen to your stuff [​IMG]

8. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Of course, username is splunk.