On Line Denon 3801 Discounts?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Luke_Y, Aug 21, 2001.

1. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

Hi, My first post. I have been around a while but most of my questions are answered without asking. This is an excellent board and the helpful people here make it so.
    So, on to my question. I have made up my mind to purchase a Denon 3801 and am looking to find it discounted as the 3802 is out. My local B&M has a used demo 3801 sitting next to a new 3802 discounted a whopping $100 [​IMG] so I am turning to the internet where the best price is usually found.
    So how bout it? Give up your sources and help me get a good deal. Let me know the reputation/service of someone you recommend if you know.
    BTW My mind is made up on the Denon 3801 so don't waste your typing fingers suggesting other receivers. The only other thing I would consider is a truly awesome deal on the 3802.
    Thanks,
    ------------------
    Luke

2. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

Search for each at:
    http://www.pricescan.com http://shopping.yahoo.com
    and you'll find the best deals. Although, of course, you'll get the group who will chime in about no warranty from Denon if you buy from 99.9% of these dealers.
    I think 6th Ave Electronics is an authorized Denon dealer (from what someone else said) and I think they will sell the 3802 for $800 plus shipping.
    Aaron

3. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

Aaron H, Thanks for the leads. Don't want to get off topic, I still want everyone to give up their Denon sources but..
    Quote-- "Although, of course, you'll get the group who will chime in about no warranty from Denon if you buy from 99.9% of these dealers."
    What about this? Most electronics I have bought have just come with a warranty registration card in the box you just mail in. Will you really not get any warranty service direct from Denon if you buy a new in the box receiver from a web shop? Where did they buy it? Someone had to buy it from Denon and it would still be sealed in the box. I know some of the web shops might not be on Denons approved list but many are web extensions (with a different name)of actual stores that are authorized dealers right?
    Keep the info coming.
    Thanks,
    ------------------
    Luke

4. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

I would do a search for Denon in here and maybe AVS Forum and Home Theater Spot, but I am pretty sire there are numerous accounts of Denon refusing to service equipment if you didn't buy from an authorized dealer.
    Again, I think I remember reading that 6th Ave is an authorized dealer, and their price of $799 (if that's right) is pretty much as low as you can get right now.
    And then there's always the option to get the AmEx Blue card. They offer a 60-day lowest price guarentee. If you should happen to buy the receiver at an authorized dealer (to 100% get the warranty) and then find it somewhere else on the web from a "NY stereo shop", AmEx will refund the difference up to $250.
    Aaron

5. John Morris

John Morris Guest

6. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Here's a question I have. I happened across Crazy Eddies website and noticed that the 3802 is $5 less than the 3801. Does this make any sense? Could it be a typo that potential buyers should take advantage over (albeit while crossing their fingers as I've heard some bad mouthing of this establishment). I am not in the market for either, however. Still paying off what I have now [​IMG].
    For what its worth the prices are $789.95 for the 3801 and $784.95 for the 3802. And the 5800 at $2370! Boy would it be nice if everything was kosher. Too bad that when things look too good to be true, they usually are.
    Dan Hine
    AIM: Velicient

7. TomH

TomH Second Unit

moreaudiovideo.com has the 3801 for $673 and the 3802 for $780.
    The general consensus is that the warranty scare tactic has no legal ground. If a product is sold in the US with a warranty card then they must honor it.
    If not, Denon must sell more product without warranty than with.
    Tom

8. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

Tom, thanks for the info. Best prices so far. The 3801 for $673 and the 3802 for $780. They claim on their website that all their products carry full warranty and they sell no "gray market" items. If I can't find better they might be the ticket.
    Thanks,
    ------------------
    Luke

9. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

No matter who you end up ordering from, do a little research on them first. I've heard some bad things about MoreAudioVideo. Go to AVSurvey and read the comments. The place with the lowest price isn't always the best to purchase from.

10. TomH

TomH Second Unit

I agree with Tim. I have not dealt with moreaudiovideo so I cannot comment on them.
    Tom

11. NateF

NateF Stunt Coordinator

Speaking of 3801 and 3802, I bought a 3801 about 5 months ago... what does the 3802 have over the 3801? I've looked at the specs, but they look identical to me. Anyone know?
    -Nate

12. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

They don't have to honor the warranty. A good friend found that out the hard way [​IMG]

13. Samuel Des

Samuel Des Supporting Actor

14. Kieran Coghlan

Kieran Coghlan Second Unit

NateF:
    I'm not sure, but it seems the only differences between the 3801 and the 3802 are that the 02 has slightly more power (110 wpc vs. 105) and the 02 has Dolby Pro-Logic II, which the 3801 lacks.
    ------------------
    -Kieran
    My HT Page

15. Jim Lenneman

Jim Lenneman Stunt Coordinator

Sam,
    The case manager in your state is no doubt correct. The problem is that the warrantee carries provisions. If it states on the warrantee card that the unit is covered for ___ years provided it is purchased from an authorized dealer, they can refuse service on units purchased from unauthorized sources and still be complying with the terms of the warrantee.
    I'm not saying I think this is right, and since I'm not a lawyer, I don't know if it's totally legal. All I'm saying is that the case manager's response to your question could be misleading.
    Jim L
    [Edited last by Jim Lenneman on August 24, 2001 at 11:06 AM]

16. TomH

TomH Second Unit

The "authorized" dealer warranty question surfaces every time someone mentions buying at a discount. Clearly it is a questionable scare tactic designed to support an archaic form of price fixing and competition suppression.
    As many times as this issue has been discussed it has not been resolved. How can we find out once and for all? Is this an issue for the FTC? I am sure that it will be a serious issue for anyone who has spent 2-3k and find they do not have a warranty. Shane,ask your friend who "found out the hard way" to press the issue. Many have suggested filing a small claims suit against the manufacturer.
    As we move to the global economy this absurd tactic will hurt manufacturers more than it helps them.
    It really would be nice to determine the legality.
    Tom

17. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

having seen more than a few of these leters refusing service, I must say ,I have had customers(or I should say people who didn't buy from us but brought theire on line purchased units to us for service)carry on about how they're going to get a lawyer,etc.....I honestly don't know if any of them have had any luck ,but just think of the delay/hassle/inconvieniance/expense,etc. that they are going to go through! I have a friend who buys many things on line (some a/v equip. w/my help) but has twice had trouble (still a small %) once he got some satisfaction, though after much hassle, and once he just got the "shaft".
    Still I feel (imo) that taking the savings weighed against delays ,hassles,uncertainty, and potential downside ,he hasn't taken much pleasure in the "bargain"...But his own mother (british) once told me that he'd "walk a day to save a farthing" ...not me man, I don't like equipment down-time, costly repairs or hassles....time ,and peace of mind are the 2 things that I have trouble buying!

18. TomH

TomH Second Unit

A $350.00 savings on a 3802 or $1200.00 on a 5800 is not exactly something most people will ignore. Keep in mind that the odds of Denon equipment failing is low.
    I have found that the value of purchasing from an authorized dealer is never even close to the markups they charge.
    Price fixing and quasi legal competition suppression is just one of many reasons to avoid the "authorized" dealers who refuse to compete. This is a scheme designed to artificially inflate dealer profits. There is absolutely nothing in it for the customer. If a local shop prefers to only service units that they sell that is their choice. I would rather have my products repaired by the manufacturer.
    The local authorized Sony/Denon dealer has this policy. One more reason the store is usually empty and may be the next B&M to close.
    It still would be nice to see a legal precedent.

19. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

our company had an after tax profit of @ 3.5% last fiscal year ....obscene profits!
    but , think and do as you see fit, my only concern is that when all the a/v stores of any quality dry up, where will we get a chance to audition(A/B) EQUIPMENT . Bose manages to convince a lot of people everyday that their product is the best...mostly by sheilding it from A/B comparisons

20. TomH

TomH Second Unit

Matthew,
    Denon and a few other manufacturers who have sold or allowed sales of product to internet dealers have certainly hurt their "authorized" dealers more than they have the customer. You as a dealer are bound by their terms or you lose the right to sell the product. However Denon dumps tons of product to anyone with a dollar and you have no recourse. It is possible for manufacturers to keep this under control if they desire. Search Denon on the net and then search Integra. I realize that there are some "authorized" dealers that may add value and will compete but this is not so in Tucson. I think even you will admit that the warranty scam is a pretty sleazy way to appease the dealers. The question still is whether it is legal.
    Tom