What's new

On Golden Pond (Hepburn, Fonda) Special edition 12/16 - looks like different extras (1 Viewer)

Alistair_M

Second Unit
I notice that a new special edition of On Golden Pond is coming to region 1 on the 16th December 2003 from (grrrr) Artisan.

From dvdfile:

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/dvd-...003/10_09.html

Hot on the heels of the Dirty Dancing: Ultimate Edition, Artisan Entertainment will release a newly remastered special edition of the Oscar-winning classic On Golden Pond. Due December 16th, goodies include a new anamorphic widescreen transfer, Dolby Digital Surround EX mix (no joke), an audio commentary with writer Ernest Thompson, the documentary "Loving Against Time," a new Katharine Hepburn tribute, and a look at the film's cinematography "Reflections on Golden Pond," a still gallery and trailers. Retail will be $19.95

These extras seem to be different from the current release:

http://www.dvdmoviecentral.com/Revie...olden_pond.htm

The disc includes an extraordinary recently made documentary on the making of the film, which features Jane Fonda, Coleman, McKeon, writer Thompson and director Rydell. The documentary is as moving as the picture, as the principals recall working with Henry Fonda and Kathryn Hepburn, and knowing it would probably be Henry's last film. The stories are amazing, warm, and told with much love. There's also a trailer, and a wonderful commentary by Rydell, who's a soft spoken, unassuming man who really relishes his memories of a magical moviemaking experience..

------

I recently saw On Golden pond for the first time - a simply superb and moving film. The transfer (region 2) was terrible and non-anamorphic and it didn't contain any extras. I remember watching a scene where Norman looks for a telephone and answers it - there was so little detail in the picture that you never saw the telephone. So a new transfer is very welcome.

I guess if you want the full experience you'll have to get the new release for the remastered anamorphic picture and the old release for the hour long doc on the film and the directors commentary. Shame they couldn't all of the extras onto the new release.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Damn! Damn! Damn!

I've never seen this movie and have been wanting to for sometime, but with Artisan releasing it I think I'll wait some more. I hate giving that company one red cent as they'll most likely screw it up anyway.

Will K

Screenwriter
Artisan? Barf.

This is most bittersweet. I love this movie and it does need a new transfer and is deserving of a SE. The old DVD is pretty terrible.

Alistair_M

Second Unit
I did a bit of searching - on 10/21 there will be a re-price of a doublepack of On Golden Pond and Sophie's choice (a film I've never seen but I've heard its good). This is the old version of On golden pond.

Its very cheap - only £7.70 from dvdsoon. So I'll get that for the directors commentary and laserdisk documentary (plus Sophie's choice SE as a bonus, which also has a commentary and long documentary)
and I'll get the new release from Artisan on 12/16.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I suppose we can hope for the best and pray that this transfer is like the T2:Extreme DVD. Artisan's problem isn't that they're universally shoddy; just incredibly scattershot.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
so in a very short space of time, two Henry Fonda films are coming

This one and Leone's OUATITW which are completely different range of films

Look forward to both

:emoji_thumbsup:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Anyone own the original Artisan release
of this title?

I so much hesitate to plop down money on
Artisan product. I have said this many times
before -- they are snake-oil salesmen.

If the original ON GOLDEN POND looked bad,
I would not trust Artisan to make this new
release any better.

Can anyone comment on the original DVD transfer?

Alistair_M

Second Unit
Actually Oscar there are several more Henry Fonda classics coming:

eg

My Darling Clementine - Fox Studio classics
http://www.dvdsoon.com/show-title-de...xml?uid=103676

Ox-Bow Incident - Fox Studio classics
http://www.dvdsoon.com/show-title-details.xml?uid=48198

I'm a big fan of the Fox Studio Classics line of dvds -I really liked Inn of Sixth Happiness (facinating commentary on this one), Ghost and Mrs Muir, and Song of Bernadette (another well produced commentary). Superb extras and good transfers at a low price.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
A better transfer and some new supplements would make me double dip on this film. Glad Henry finally got an Oscar with this film (long overdue) and I don't think Jane ever looked more beautiful then she does here.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Ron, the original transfer is very sharp, quite grainy, and not anamorphic. I'm quite sure it is the letterboxed laserdisc transfer. The new 16:9 transfer is bound to be better.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
>

Everything on the DVD (including supplements) is a port from the Pioneer Special Edition laserdisc. Serviceable, but far from stunning. Also, ignore the claim of 2.0 Surround. This puppy is 2.0 mono.

-Lyle J.P.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
you are right Alastair, it was just that these were the most obvious.

So all in all 4 coming out at roughly the same time is fantastic news indeed

:emoji_thumbsup:

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Earlier tpae and laserdisc releases were stereo but not the pioneer special edition, in spite of its claims. I hope they get the stereo right for the new dvd.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I don't see anything wrong with it at all. Looks pretty dang good (IMO), considering it's a 1999 non-Anamorphic dealie.

Plus -- Like someone mentioned above, the "Loving Against Time" documentary on the '99 disc is a goodie (45 minutes long, complete with Scene Selections). This will also be on the new Special Edition too.

I like this original disc's text features as well (which may or may not be the same on the new SE).

There's also the trailer on the old one; something that is not mentioned as being on the new SE. (Although this Amazon data might not be all-inclusive. Many times info there is incomplete.)

It also seems curious (to me anyhow) that the SE will not have the Director's commentary, but instead an author's track. Wonder why both were not included?

Perhaps my eye just is not as discerning as many here, but lately I'm leaning toward the policy of "Don't Fear Non-Anamorphic Transfers", because I believe many of these are not quite as evil and horrid as many people think. (Although, like everyone else here, I'd still prefer Anamorphic if given a choice, quite naturally. :))

BTW...Another notation on the "old" (1999) disc -- The ratio is not (as advertised) 1.85:1. It's matted at closer to 1.75:1. Still looks fine to me though. But, I would imagine that the new SE would correct the AR to the "more correct" 1.85. Right?

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
but lately I'm leaning toward the policy of "Don't Fear Non-Anamorphic Transfers", because I believe many of these are not quite as evil and horrid as many people think
The same here David, otherwise I might never have a copy of a film if I waited for the ideal presentation of Anamorphic.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
The same here David, otherwise I might never have a copy of a film if I waited for the idea[l] presentation of Anamorphic.
Yes, Jeff, I concur.

Psycho (1960) and The American President, to name two goodies. (Although, I wouldn't slap anybody in the facial region if they were to put out a nice Anamorphic SE of Amer. Prez. :D :))

Alistair_M

Second Unit
The plot thickens...

I noticed the first review of the new SE

http://www.classicsondvd.com/ongoldenpond.htm

"The disc includes an "archival" audio commentary by director Mark Rydell, and a new feature-length commentary by Ernest Thompson.

"Reflections on Gold Pond: a Tribute to the work of cinematographer Billy Williams" (30 mins)

"Katharine Hepburn Tribute Documentary" (16 mins) "

------

so we have the directors commentary from the first release (good news) but not the original documentary (45 mins).
Glad to hear the transfer is decent (4 out of 5 stars)and the 5.1 sound mix was well received too (also 4 out of 5 stars).

Overall I'd have to say, some kudos to Artisan over this one - a decent tranfer, 2 commentaries and a doc or 2. I've a feeling that one day we'll get a 2 disk set with everything on it - but that could be a long time away so I'm happy to preorder. I'm really looking forward to hearing the director's commentary on this warm-hearted flick.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
so we have the directors commentary from the first release (good news) but not the original documentary (45 mins).
This seems odd...because every e-tailer I've looked at DOES show the original-disc's "Loving Against Time" documentary as being included on the SE. But NOT the Director's audio track.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...6&vi=tech-info

http://www.dvdplanet.com/product_lis...293&format=DVD

http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_ite...earchID=950491

:confused:

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I think Artisan is getting better. I only have a few releases with them (Basic Instinct - Director's Cut, Total Recall SE, and T2 Extreme) and have no problem with the transfers. I do know some of their earlier stuff was dreadful.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks