What's new

On Dangerous Ground (1951)- coming from WAC (1 Viewer)

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Nicholas Ray’s ON DANGEROUS GROUND (1951)
NEW 2016 HD REMASTER DERIVED FROM NEW 4K SCAN FROM ORIGINAL NITRATE CAMERA NEGATIVE
BD50
4x3 1.37
DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 Mono (Restored from original nitrate track negative)
English SDH

SPECIAL FEATURES:
Audio commentary by film historian Glenn Erickson (DVD Savant)
Original theatrical trailer (remastered 1080p HD)

"“Why do you make me do it?” New York cop Jim Wilson asks the hoodlum he’s about to smash senseless. Jim has seen it all on the city’s shadowy streets: killers, thugs, pimps, sadists. And the experience has cost him his soul. Ironically, his redemption may come in his next case, a brutal murder that brings him into the open sky and white light of the countryside…and into the arms of a beautiful blind woman.
Directed with intensity by Nicholas Ray (Rebel Without a Cause, They Live by Night) and featuring a haunting score by Bernard Herrmann (Psycho), On Dangerous Ground is a taut, rapid-paced manhunt with two fine stars at its tortured heart. Noir master Robert Ryan captures Jim’s agonized self-hatred. And Ida Lupino burnishes the screen as the sightless angel whose compassion gives him one last chance at life."
250b306d3453556ae4e47f7151c42062.jpg

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
I'm really surprised Warner licensed out The Asphalt Jungle as it's an essential title from MGM'S glory years and would fit in nicely with their Archive's program. Great news about On Dangerous Ground. Great film!

This is excellent news along with The Asphalt Jungle coming out on BD from Criterion!

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I'm really surprised Warner licensed out The Asphalt Jungle as it's an essential title from MGM'S glory years and would fit in nicely with their Archive's program. Great news about On Dangerous Ground. Great film!

I was going to say the same thing - with all of those titles from the Warner film noir DVD set coming out through Warner Archive - why did Asphalt go to Criterion? Not that I mind in the least, mind you...

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
Quote: DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 Mono (Restored from original nitrate track negative)

Hopefully WA will create a positive from the track negative, the results are always disappointing when scanning from a track negative.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Quote: DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 Mono (Restored from original nitrate track negative)

Hopefully WA will create a positive from the track negative, the results are always disappointing when scanning from a track negative.

Yes, that's been my argument over the years, only this year I was trying to get a decent sound from a negative optical track, it's really hard work, there's no bottom to it & it can sound quite sibilant. Way back in the early 90's I was transferring an old TV series to 1" tape & the only sound I had was 35mm optical negative rolls & they sounded awful. Well the place where I was working was also a film lab, so they printed & processed a pos optical track overnight along with the rushes, & using out of date stock, so it didn't really cost them anything, & a pile of cans were waiting for me the next morning...what a difference a few decades makes! It would be a huge deal these days with all those films labs closing down & all those printing machines going for scrap, & do they even make the stock anymore?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks