"?" on component or S-video cables

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Marie, May 1, 2004.

1. Marie

Marie Auditioning

MY dvd player has connections for component cables to go TO the reeceiver. BUT the tv only has s-video( & rca cable connection) so I have to run the S-video to the TV from the receiver.

do I get any gain by using the component cables between the dvd player & receiver? than if I just used the s-cable? I was wondering if its a waste to use those connections at all since th s-video is last cable to be used.

2. aaron campbell

aaron campbell Second Unit

Hi Marie. It's a waste of money to use the component cables. Just connect the s-video from the player to the tv.

Aaron

3. Marie

Marie Auditioning

why do the instructions tell you to run the s-vid cable TO the receiver,, & then out again to the tv??

4. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

It would allow you to do video-switching via the receiver if you were so inclined. I prefer to have direct video connections to the back of my TV.

For your TV, the best signal will be a direct S-video connection from the DVD player to the TV.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

The manual is showing you that you CAN hook it up this way, not that you HAVE to. The benefit is that your video and audio are both selected together when you choose DVD on your receiver. The negative is one extra cable for no reason, unless you are doing video switching for multiple s-video devices.

Most receivers will not allow you to step down from component video to s-video.

6. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

In fact, if you tried to hook up the component cables, then s-video to the TV you'd get no picture at all. The receiver is just acting as a switched, so it switches whatever type of video feed to that type of output. If you had s-video, composite, and component hooked in, you'd need one of each running to the TV too. (unless your receiver does upscaling, or whatever they call it).

Leave it as s-video, and unless for convenience or switching needs, yes just run directly to the TV.

7. Marie

Marie Auditioning

***Leave it as s-video, and unless for convenience or switching needs, yes just run directly to the TV.****

ok, another question (sorry).

is there a way to run the cable TO the receiver so the programs that are listed as dolby digital ,, will *play* as dolby digital through all the speakers coming from the reciever??

I tried running from the tv AUDIO OUT into the back of the reciever, but it didn't show up on the receiver that it was decoding anything.. wouldn't it show on the front of the receiver that DD was detected? or do I need to run the video OUT from the tv into the receiver?

(dang, I thought I had this all figured out,, these books are a 'killer')

8. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

No, you'd need some sort of digital cable box with a digital audio output.

9. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

The only way to get digital decoding in the receiver is to feed it a digital signal (via digital coaxial or optical cable).

For digital sound, good candidates are DVD players, CD players, gaming consoles, and digital cable/satellite boxes that actually have digital sound.

Going from TV out to your receiver will allow for stereo playback and pro-logic or other signal processing schemes, but will not give proper Dolby Digital surround sound.

10. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

That's why HTF exists: to answer questions and share enjoyment of movies, television and music.

We have the HTF Primer & FAQ which many of our members wrote just to help. Dont be afraid of the size - pick a topic and just read.

11. Marie

Marie Auditioning

thanks for the replies : )

now that brings me to the question ,, ok just what GOOD is it for the regular networks (CBS/ABC/etc) to have their programs listed as DD???? IF you can't feasibly listen to the decoding??
    I DO have a couple digital cable boxes ( although NOT running to the receiver, in question, < just regular cable connection> but even on these boxes the only digital programs are the upper channels,, mostly the movie channels.. the regular networks are still ,, well regular.

12. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Regular networks generally broadcast in Dolby STEREO, which is covered under the blanket term Dolby DIGITAL. Dolby may included anywhere from 1 to 5 discrete channels. Dolby SURROUND is a stereo signal that carries info for Pro Logic decoders to extract the center and rear channels. 5.1 seems to be "pay" channels such as HBO, which would also require a digital connection from a capable cable box, as noted above.