On-air TV antenna to Denon 3801. How?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ivan Lindenfeld, Feb 19, 2002.

1. Ivan Lindenfeld

Ivan Lindenfeld Second Unit

I am asking a question I have never asked before. I have had cable TV since I was 12. I am now 31. I just had a Dish installed (Dish Network, PVR, Everything Everything) and I hooked it through my 3801 tonight. I gotta say it was great and horrific at the same time to hear DD 5.1 through my speakers and see Vertical Limit on HBO-W in Pan and Scan! The horror!! But now I have an on-air antenna, like the 1970's!
    My question is this: The satellite installer ran the on-air antenna into the dish wiring with a combiner and ran it all into the house. Then he split the Dish signal and On-air signal out into the Dish PVR501. Well, I didn't intend to use it that way, I intended to run it all through my 3801. But they wanted an extra $60.00 for the "Home Theater Install" over the basic so I let him wire it how he wanted.
    So now I have an RG-6 coax cable with the on-air antenna signal plugged into the DishPVR 501. I can disconnect that and plug it into my 3801 somewhere. The question is where? The 3801 has no screw posts for an RG-6 coax connection. The manual seems to want me to put the antenna signal into the FM antenna input. Is this right? And how do I convert the connector from what I think is called "F-Type" on the RG-6 coax to the RCA looking input on the 3801?
    Does any of this make sense? My wife is gonna be pissed in the morning to know she is back to using the Pronto AND another remote with some odd sequence to get to on air channels and seperate volume controls! [​IMG] But I got to hear my DD signal so I am happy.
    TIA
    Ivan

2. Harry Lincoln

Harry Lincoln Stunt Coordinator

Ivan, Im not farmiliar with the equipment you have and I dont really understand how it is set up but I'll answer what I can. The 3801 does not have a tv tuner inside so you cant plug the antenna cable directly into it, it must be routed through a vcr (or something similar), and the vcr output connected to your 3801. You might be able to connect the antenna lead to your TV and then run the audio signal to your denon using RCA leads, this will mean you have to change the TV between AV on/off when switchng between the dish and the antenna, but you might be able to set up a macro on your Pronto remote to do this automatically.

Hope that helps.

Harry.

3. Ivan Lindenfeld

Ivan Lindenfeld Second Unit

Thanks, Harry.

I guess I'll go through the VCR. I have no problem sending the TV signal audio through the VCR since at best it's stereo (I don't have HD).

I hadn't thought of that. I really appreciate it.