On a strict diet-need recipes

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ike, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

I've been meaning to go vegan for some time, and so I went ahead and bit the bullet, and I've been vegan for 4 days now. On top of that, I added a rather tough stipulation-nothing but fruits and vegetables. I'm in a competition with a friend to see who can stay on the diet the longest, and if I don't get some good meals, I'm gonna lose!

There are a few gray areas-condiments and seasonings are allowed, but they should contain minimal to no calories. Beans are allowed, but potatoes are not. Canned vegetables are allowed, as long as they don't contain too many additives.

So, I've been living off of olives and popcorn I pop myself (couldn't find any locally that matched the rules). I have spaghetti sauce that's okay, and was thinking of turning that into something, but without pasta or meatballs, I don't know what it could be. I've also been thinking of dehydrating vegetables to eat like chips (maybe with some guacamole?) but have yet to come up with something that act as a chip.

So, any ideas? Any soups, casseroles, or things of that nature? I need help!

2. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    Ike, this is a very tough diet to adhere. Fruits and vegetables only, doesn't leave much room for variety. Any reason for no pasta? even pasta made with spinach? I can offer you a few things from my vegetarian diet that work very well in place of meat.

Trader Joe's sell Madra's Lentils, a spicy, tasty lentil goup in a foil pack. Normally it would fare well on pita bread. Maybe you could sub a 1g fat wheat tortilla for the pita? very bachelor friendly dish.

Fava beans may do well, with a marinara. I heard to stay away from them if you are mediterranean? may be a myth, I'm not sure.

Tofu..is now sold in firm grill strips. This improved texture makes a nice teriyaki over brown rice. If your allowed that.

I would also get familiar with falafel and tahini sauce...mmmmmmm

I will post one of my favorite recipes, right up your alley....Corn on the Cob Chili

1/2 cup lentils, picked, washed and drained
    4-6 tomatoes, diced
    1 onion, diced
    a few garlic cloves, cut in half
    2-3 corn on a cob, cut in half
    1 red bell pepper, diced
    3-4 red hot chili peppers (not dry)
    chili powder
    salt & pepper
    oil
    Directions:

1. Fry the onions in the oil until brown.

2. Add the rest of the ingredients and add water to cover. Stir.

3. Simmer for at least an hour. Check every once in a while and add more water if chili is too dry.

Serves: 2-4

messy as hell, but very good...invest in corn cob holders

3. Mike Hutman

Mike Hutman Supporting Actor

Banana chips

4. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

That sounds tasty Zen! I haven't thought about meatless chili. Sounds good.

5. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    Try spaghetti squash.

6. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

7. FredHD

FredHD Stunt Coordinator

Ike,

Being a vegan myself , one website I would highly recommend is
    www.vegsource.com. It has ton of recipes and great message boards with folks who can answer just about any questions regarding veganism/vegetarianism. Good luck.

8. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    As a pro-Atkins type person (maybe not all of Atkins, but definately the low carb diet), I can say that I have lost 34 pounds in 2 months, and feel better than I have in years. I am on my way down to 250 (from 306, which is too much for even my 6'4" frame).

Good luck on your diet, Ike. Between you and me, we are eating 1/2 less of the earths food then we did when we started! [​IMG]

9. Brett Hancock

Brett Hancock Supporting Actor

I have been vegetarian for 3 years now and have tried going vegan twice. I still have not been able to maintain it for more then a week. One thing I found that really helps(and i know this is a no brainer) is to just not expose yourself to the dairy products that you used to. Trader Joes has some great soups in cups that I am pretty sure are vegan. I think I will give it another shot and see if I can finally make the permament change to a vegan lifestyle.