On a search for a sub $2300 52-57" RPTV

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Daniel Hawl, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Daniel Hawl

Daniel Hawl Agent

Help! I'm just getting myself into home theater and I am visiously researching tv's. I want to spend a maximum of $2300 on a RP HDTV in the 52-57" range, which limits me to older or non high end models. I was in love with the RCA Scenium until I read about it's deplorable reliability, and as this is of great concern to me, I have decided to nix the RCA.

Are there certain models less inclinded to suffer from burn in? My girlfriend and I have discussed this and find it to be an issue that may affect whether or not we actually buy a rptv or wait until plasma or DLP rp comes down in price. I would be considering the 42" Gateway plasma but it appears to not be a great choice for home theater applications. Note that this TV will be placed in a living with a large sliding glass door and very limited light control during the day.

The tv will mainly be used for DVD's, but some 4x3 tv watching, I'd estimate in the 75/25 range respectively.

I appreciate any help you can give me, thanks!

2. Daniel Hawl

Daniel Hawl Agent

only bump ill attempt. Anyone?

3. Gilbert ^P

Gilbert ^P Stunt Coordinator

Toshiba HDX 50 or 57 inch. or 51 inch Hitachi. panasonic 53 inch. all good sets.

4. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

Daniel,

If burn-in is an issue, then a plasma TV will be no better than a CRT-based RPTV, maybe even worse. DLP TVs are apparently immune from burn-in, but the technology has not matured to the level of a CRT-based RPTV or even a plasma TV.

Michael

5. Tappan

Tappan Auditioning

daniel,

i bought a hitichi 57" uwx20b last week for $2300.00. i strongly recommend it, it is much sharper than my sony 53" kphs10 i bought last year which after 18 months suffered from the blowing of a blue bulb, blue chip, green bulb, and green processor chip. as of tonight my hitachi is showing signs of problems, but i think that is the store not the brand and i plan to take it back in the morning.

6. Daniel Hawl

Daniel Hawl Agent

How about the Philips 55PP9352? I seem to be reading nothing but good things about this tv, and the price is more than right at sears with an internet pricematch.
    If I could get this unit for around 1700-1800 I would have plenty left for more toys [​IMG]
    recommended?

7. Brian Walsh

Brian Walsh Auditioning

The Philips 55pp9352 is an excellent choice in that price range. Nice, accurate picture, decent stretch for NTSC, and my wife loves the silver case! (doesn't show dust as easily) The protective screen on the set shows glare much less than many of the sets I've tested. Philips has also incorporated a technology called APAC that may help combat screen burn. (it shifts the screen very slightly during various intervals) All this for under $1800 and you have a deal! Also, until recently, Philips was throwing in a free Home Theater with progressive scan DVD player and 26 weekly rentals at Blockbuster! This is not a set talked about much on these boards...but well worth your consideration.

8. Daniel Hawl

Daniel Hawl Agent

any thoughts on if that deal will return? I wouldnt mind a free theater setup for my bedroom or to give to a friend (no way Id use it in my family room) and free dvd rentals is always a good thing!

9. Ted Ross

Ted Ross Second Unit

Pioneer sd-533HD5 -excellent line doubler & top notch stretch modes. Also displays 480p natively.

10. Anthony Urzi

Anthony Urzi Stunt Coordinator

i have the philips, i love it, very impressed and i paided a little over $2000 after the rebates

11. Michael Silla

Michael Silla Second Unit

If I were to do it again and buy another RPTV I'd have to take a hard look at the Pioneer 64 inch model featured at most Costcos for $2399. Excellent TV for the price.

Michael