What's new

Pre-Order On A Clear Day You Can See Forever (1970) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
718sHB7I4LL._SX522_.jpg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Advertised on Amazon as 50th Anniversary but seems its just the film with no extras. No cut scenes or audio of cut musical numbers . Last of the Streisand musicals to make it to blu ray.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I am happy it's coming, but I have such mixed reactions to the film. Barbra has never been in better voice and she's adorable as Daisy and sensual as Melinda, but despite the two new numbers (both sensational) for her, she has also been given "She Isn't You" (making it "He Isn't You") making the movie a little too Barbra-heavy for me. The terrific score gets gutted a bit in serving her. And in previous threads about the film, I have made my distaste for Montand in the film known.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Excerpts from the Broadway version with Barbara Harris and John Cullum . Odd Paramount didn't make this blu ray part of their new "Paramount Presents" label. It would have been the first new to blu film on the label if they had. Perhaps "Paramount Presents" is only for reissues.

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Absolutely loved seeing the excerpts from the Broadway version. John Cullum came through Charlotte with a tour of On a Clear Day which I did see, but I've never seen these Barbara Harris performances until this moment! Thanks so much!

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
It was turned into a star vehicle for Barbra, co-starring that noted corpse Yves Montand. I had this on DVD and gave it away. As Fanny Brice would have said, "Oy, vat a turkey!"

babsdude

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
Unfortunate. I’ve already bought an HD version on iTunes. It’s probably the same digital file used for this Blu-ray.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I am happy it's coming, but I have such mixed reactions to the film. Barbra has never been in better voice and she's adorable as Daisy and sensual as Melinda, but despite the two new numbers (both sensational) for her, she has also been given "She Isn't You" (making it "He Isn't You") making the movie a little too Barbra-heavy for me. The terrific score gets gutted a bit in serving her. And in previous threads about the film, I have made my distaste for Montand in the film known.
It's really funny about Montand. He's generally wonderful in French films; one of the greats. And as a French actor, he's expansive, He can play almost any kind of role, and he's very subtle, bringing forth a surprisng emotion with only the slightest shading from his voice and his eyes. I think that comes from his music hall experience. But in American films, speaking and singing in English--I'm thinking here of LET'S MAKE LOVE and ON A CLEAR DAY--not so good. Actually, I'm being kind. He's heavy, inappropriate and seems out of place, a stranger in a stranger land.

I did an experiment once. I watched GRAND PRIX, and the scenes with Montand I watched them first with the English track, where he was consistently flat, a dull fish out of water, and then I watched them in French, in particular, the scenes between Montand & Eva Marie Saint. (I believe Ms. Saint speaks French. It sounded like her, and the lip movements were precise.) Anyway, in French, he was wonderful; charming, masculine, subtle, and very emotional; very similar, in fact, to his performance in CESAR AND ROSALIE. It was really interesting that just by changing the sound track, a performance which seemed bumbling and stiff in English, had all kinds of subtle and heartfelt emotion.

My conclusion? They should have forced Barbara to speak in French.

Christian D66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian
You'd think they could have done a nice job of presenting this to Babs fans and film fans with the roadshow extras like Jack Nicholson's song, etc. I love the opening scene and titles but it is stilted, Montand is a miscast stiff and the premise is never really worked out. But it's part of a fascinating era and I'm not a BS collector at all but I would shell out for an expanded edition.

Reactions: PMF

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
It should be noted that Yves Montand was not the first choice. Richard Harris was cast but left the project due to the generic "creative differences".

Reactions: PMF

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
This was made after "Funny Girl" I can't believe they didn't try to get Omar Sharif for the role. What chemistry those two had. He should have been first choice !

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Years ago I saw Clear Day on a double-feature with The Way We Were at a revival screening at The Vista theater in Hollywood. Almost every seat was taken. We arrived just minutes before the film started and somehow managed to find seats. I had only seen it on late-night TV, and seeing the full widescreen Panavision image took my breath away. I could hardly believe how sharp and colorful it looked. After a few minutes, I realized I really needed to go to the restroom, but I didn't want to miss a moment, and I thought, if I have to miss something, I will go during the song 'Melinda'. So finally the song comes up and, I kid you not, almost the entire theater got up and went to either the restroom or the snack bar. True story. My personal choice for the doctor would have been Robert Goulet. He sings both 'Clear Day' and 'Come Back to Me' on one of his albums and they are spectacular.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
But in American films, speaking and singing in English--I'm thinking here of LET'S MAKE LOVE and ON A CLEAR DAY--not so good.

What a coincidence: he co-starred with both the women who played film roles Carol Channing had originated on Broadway.

The original Daisy was Barbara Harris, who made up for missing out on this film by playing the mother in the original Freaky Friday, a role Streisand allegedly turned down according to one of her more recent biographies.

Hank E

Stunt Coordinator
I just got the copy I ordered from BullMoose and it's a pressed disc. I only had time to skim through, but it's not a new remaster unfortunately. Probably from the DVD era, It looks pretty good, just not great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks