What's new

On 3rd Receiver... all keep powering down suddenly! (1 Viewer)

Jerry Suhrstedt

Auditioning
Real Name
Jerry Suhrstedt
Been through 3 different brands of receivers with the latest being a Sony DH 540. After watching TV, anywhere from 3 hours to 3-4 days apart, our receiver just suddenly powers down for what seems to be no reason. I've been trouble shooting this for like 3 months now and am ready to pull my hair out!

​Now that I'm on my 3rd receiver, just had a thought that maybe the power from my house may be the culprit. Put a voltage meter on the outlet I use, and powered up our heat pump that was installed new about 10 months ago, and the voltage dipped from 119.6 volts to 117.3. Super quick.

Could this be the issue?? Do receivers need a solid 119-120 volts or can they withstand drops like that?

I'm seriously all ears.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I don't think it's the voltage, those kind of drops are common. More likely it's a loose strand of speaker wire shorting the circuit; or defective speakers with an internal short. The only way I can think of to troubleshoot that is to remove speakers (just run in stereo) and see if it's a particular set causing the problem. And of course double-check your wire run for loose strands or a misplaced fastener a (staple, or even a nail for moulding hitting the wire).

Jerry Suhrstedt

Auditioning
Real Name
Jerry Suhrstedt
Al.Anderson said:
I don't think it's the voltage, those kind of drops are common. More likely it's a loose strand of speaker wire shorting the circuit; or defective speakers with an internal short. The only way I can think of to troubleshoot that is to remove speakers (just run in stereo) and see if it's a particular set causing the problem. And of course double-check your wire run for loose strands or a misplaced fastener a (staple, or even a nail for moulding hitting the wire).
Completely replaced our entire set of speakers. If it was a loose strand of speaker wire, I'm not so sure it would run for 3 days and then shut down the receiver.

Jerry Suhrstedt

Auditioning
Real Name
Jerry Suhrstedt
schan1269 said:
You didn't stuff the AVR in a cabinet and suffocate it did you?
Well, it "WAS" in a cabinet up until about 3 days ago. Ditched the cabinet and now have it sitting in the open air.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks