Omnisat speaker giving problems..help!

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Chris_Millet, Nov 8, 2003.

1. Chris_Millet

Chris_Millet Extra

I just picked up the 5 Omnisat + LF150 system. I have it hooked up via Monster XP cable (bare wire, no connectors) to a Denon AVR-3200.

Basically the problem is my front-right speaker does not work half the time..and when it does, it sounds muffled until I give it a good amount of volume, then it pops to life for a little bit (maybe a minute?) before it goes out completely. Powercycling the receiver brings it back sometimes.

I pulled the speaker down (have it mounted) and connected it with a spare Monster Z1 center channel that has bananas and it works beatifully that way. Plugged in to the same terminal on the receiver even.

I'm figuring it has something to do with the cable. BUt it is one of my shortest runs (about 20 ft). I have it clipped to the wall in a few places, and I verified I didn't nail through the cable anywhere in case it was causing a short.

Anyways, I'm at a loss.. I'm figuring it is some kind of connection issue with the bare-wire to the terminals on the receiver or speaker but I've redone them at least a half dozen times.

I'm going to go buy a pair of banana plugs and put those on to see if maybe there is just a bad connection somewhere.

2. Chris_Millet

Chris_Millet Extra

Ok geesh, this one is a real stumper. I tried some banana plugs on the existing run of Monster XP..no go. I cannot even get the speaker to come on at ALL now.

I tried a brand new length of Monster XP..still dead!

I think I might just take the speaker back to Tweeter and get a new one.

3. Chris_Millet

Chris_Millet Extra

Got a new speaker..all is good! guess it was on its way out..

lame..2 out of 5 speakers bad.