What's new

OMG - I left my body (1 Viewer)

John Royster

Screenwriter
Sorry for the title but I had to share.

I was listening to one of my favorite tracks. Duran-Duran, "Save a prayer" tonight. Haven't really truly got in the mood for this song in a while (lights low, no annoying sounds other than the stereo). I heard for the first time the true melody to this song in such a way that I lost all contact with my surroundings. I left my body and was carried by the music and dove deep into each and every instrument.

I love my new Martin Logan's (only had them 1.5 months) and thought I'd share my joy. For those that don't like electro-stats, please come to my place in Louisville, KY and share some joy! As much as I've been into audio this doesn't happen often...a combination of music, atmosphere and reproduction that goes WAY beyond raising the hairs on your limbs.

Stay tuned for a review of the Krell 300i integrated.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
John,

You have reached "audio nirvana"!!

I read that this state of "audio nirvana" is rarely reached. I have only acheved this once, and with speakers at the "cheap end" of the spectrum: NHT 1.1's, predecessor to the NHT SuperOnes. It's been over ten years, and I still haven't achieve the same experience again despite equipment upgrades.

John Royster

Screenwriter
Bobby,

I'm in desparate need of a good amplifier for these beasts. I've sent my HK 8800 amplifier into protection many times with modest volume. And that amp ain't no slouch when it comes to difficult loads. I use the 3802 as a direct/analog bypass pre-amp for music.

About the audio nirvana...happens sometimes and I still get giddy when it does. Just thought I'd share my little mind swim.

Jonathan K

Stunt Coordinator
Ohh.... having an Out of Body experience induced by listening to relaxing music. I do that sometimes; put some trance by the band "Astral Projection" on, and wear my headphones while doing active exercises to induce out of body experiences...

*gets wierd looks* What?! IT WORKS!!

Tyson

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know about leaving my body, but I definitely was "transported" tonight when listening to Brahm's Cello Sonata #1, performed by Rubenstien and Pataigorsky. Before, the musicians sounded like they were in my living room. Tonight, it felt like I was transported to the recording venue. That's only happened with 2 systems I've heard - my friends Apogee "The Apogee" speakers driven by an Ayre V5 and Lexicon MC-12, and w/my new system consisting of the VMPS RM-40's, Odyssey Dual Monoblock Stratos amp, and Audible Illusions Modulus 3A pre-amp. Hell, the Brahm's recording isn't even "audiophile" quality, and I was still "there".

Jonathan K

Stunt Coordinator
Nonono, to get an Out of Body Experience, you have to reach a state of complete physical relaxation where your body is mostly asleep, but you are mentally awake, and presumably lounging in a nice comfortable chair! You know, the same way you are doing when you listen to niiiice, soothing music!
http://www.astraldynamics.com/
http://www.astraldynamics.com/guides/oobe/Treatise.PDF
See?? The PDF is a nice fun read, lol. He doesn't suggest music tho, just white noise, but it works for me. *shrugs*.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Yes, those electrostatics are a tough load for an amp. whether its an issue of asking too much power or oscillation i personally don't know (i'd guess on the former). Sorry to hear about you leaving your body, but if I can ever get through to John Edwards, I'll ask him where it is.
Glad you were enjoying the tunes though...Happy 4th!

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
I have experienced this as well with the song 'Flaming Wreck' by the Pernice Brothers. I don't have a very great setup but it just clicked and I was just lifted away.

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
John, when I was picking up my 3802 from Tom D. at Ovation he was telling me your 3802 would have plenty of power for your Logan's. I was thinking no way judging by the little bit I know about electro stats. The 3802 has plenty of juice for my 7 Klipsch though:D. I recently recieved permission from the minister of decorating to have 9 speakers in the living room. I'm going to take advantage of the surround a/b switching and put dipoles on the walls and an extra set of direct radiators in the back for multi channel music.
P.S.
Good luck finding an amp. Maybe you should try mono blocks.

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
I had the good fortune to listen to a friends Maggies this weekend being played through a pair of Bryston amps, so I understand where you're coming from. Just beautiful.

John Royster

Screenwriter
Bobby T,
The 3802 is a fine receiver and I've heard it mated with your klipsch speakers.
That being said I'll say this - I was sorely disappointed with the amp section of the 3802. I only use it for surround and center duties. Maybe I'm just too used to separates and integrated amps but I listened to two channel music with the 3802 and kept feeling like something was missing - depth, bass, clarity. Hooked up my 10 year old HK amp and heard what I was missing - music.
This was before I got the logans. I might, infact I WILL try by-amping the reQuests using the denon for the bass and HK for the highs.
Maybe I'm spoiled by that HK amp. I was just checking its power consumption tonight just for kicks. Draws 900 watts according to the UL specs. That's a lot of juice for a two channel amp.
OH, the krell integrated in question was the KAV300 iL. seems like a pretty cool integrated.
PS - tom was telling you the 3802 had plenty of power to sell it to you.:D

Henry_W

Stunt Coordinator
I use 3802 as well, haven't taken time to hook to old Maggies downstairs (and doubt that I will), but I cannot imagine it doing a good job with stats - In two channel only you may have enough pure power, but I just have a hard time believing it is a good choice.

Believe all who say stats need serious, dedicated juice and act accordingly...

Dave Dahl

Stunt Coordinator
I had the great pleasure of hearing the ML Statements in Kansas a few months ago. It was unlike anything I had ever dreamed possible. Wow!

What kind of Logans do you have?

-Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks