What's new

OMG, Final Fantasy: The Spirit Within is a flop in the box office. (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
FF was not a bad movie. If you look at it as being a movie based on a game, then your opinion is skewed. It really has no connection to the games other than the themes that it tries to convey.

Mortal Kombat sucked. As a movie, it sucked, and as a representation of the game, it sucked. Mortal Kombat can't be translated into a film no matter what. The only good things that ever came from the original game were the first two game sequels, but the show, movies, and even MK4 were nothing worth paying any attention to.

FF really is the best videogame based movie. If you look into it, there is a lot behind it.

FFIX had a very deep story and deep characters. The themes were not just dealt with very well, but they were shown through every character, something that is pretty hard to do, especially when there is so much anticipation for each FF game from the fans and the gaming community.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
FF was not a bad movie.
That's your opinion.
Maybe it wasn't a "bad" movie "based" on a videogame but IMHO (and the paying public ;) ) the plot was extremely weak and all the CG in the world couldn't change that.
BTW Morgan, If you say things as if they are a "fact" even though they are just your opinion you will find that people will stop listening to your facts/opinions. :D

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I'm sorry if I assumed that you were capable of telling the difference between an opinion and a fact. My fault for thinking to high of your intelligence.

But seriously, I saw nothing wrong with FFs plot or story. Not even taking the games into consideration, I found the film to stand quite nicely on its own.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Morgan
Insulting other members "intelligence" is a quick way to get banned from this forum, wouldn't you agree?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I know, but I kinda figured that some people wouldn't need me to spell everything out for them, such as the obvious difference between opinion and fact.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Thanks Chris.
Morgan, comments like... "FF was not a bad movie" are you trying to state it as a fact rather than opinion. As if you writing it down makes it a fact!
As for attacking my intelligence I'll let that slide. I see from other member comments in the Gaming Forums that you seem to be on enough peoples "ignore list" as it is.
Tread lightly, this Forum doesn't appreciate such comments.
Mike

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
OK, I'm sorry if I came across insulting. I just thought nitpicking about me not putting "IMO" was a petty thing.

The people in the gaming forums either A) don't like one or two comments I have said and thus, hate me forever or B) could care less about what I say and don't take insult to it. I'm not saying their opinions of me are wrong, but if I go into a thread about the X-Box, they automatically assume I am saying something negative, which most of the time I'm not. I hope I'm not insulting them, but its the sad truth. This does not apply to everyone in those forums, seeing as how most of them see value in my opinions and would rather debate things with me or discuss things than call me a fanboy, block me, and then just bad mouth me at every possible chance.

About POTA, I was asking someone to explain what someone else told them was the ending of the film. I already have my own interpretation of the film (it doesn't make sense) but someone said they heard of one that does make sense. I was asking for them to explain.

Pete-D

Screenwriter
The problem I had with this film is the sense of adventure really wasn't there. I mean generally the core of each Final Fantasy game has a rag-tag group embarking on some huge adventure, but I never really got that feeling here.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Pete-

You missed the point that its not based on the games. Not every game has a rag-tag group, but it usually is a group of people that are somehow forced together. In FF8, they were professional soldiers. In FF7, they started out as an activist group. In TSW, they were soldiers and scientists.

Even so, is it really that important that each installment or thing related to Final Fantasy have things like magic or how the group is composed?

Hubert

Second Unit
Well, at the very least the title implied it was based on the videogames. If this movie had nothing to do with the games, then Sony was stupid to call it Final Fantasy in the first place. They should have just made a movie and called it something else altogether. Maybe they thought the name Final Fantasy was enough to bring in big crowds. They were definitely wrong.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
None of the games are based on eachother, so why should the film be any different?

Any true fans of FF who weren't mad at the lack of summons and magic were able to see the similarities. The main idea of the series is to show how universal the themes of love, death, life, friendship, etc. are. The movie did the same thing.

Luc

Stunt Coordinator
While we are on the subject of title, can someone explain to be what Final Fantasy means anyway? I mean, what's final about it? I don't play the game.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
I think that Square picked the name cause they thought it sounded cool. :) To my knowledge, the FF name has no connections to the actual games or stories. Actually the name is an oxymoron. Otherwise why are there 9+ games in the series? :D

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Its symbolic. Final Fantasy 1 was going to be Squaresoft's last game, but it was a huge success and saved them. Hironobu Sakaguchi, the director, planner, and conceiver, has often said that it was truly his "final fantasy," so thats where it came from.

The games are not connected. The environments (medieval, futuristic, etc.) are similar in some games, the themes are similar, there are a few recurring monsters, items, and names, and the basic plot is similar. Each game has a group of people overcoming an ultra powerful force and saving the world. Throughout their adventures, they discover things about themselves and their world. Each game usually has one big theme, such as Final Fantasy 8 being about Love and Final Fantasy 9 being about the meaning of Life.

With that said, you can see how the movie would fit into the series without necessarily having magic and monsters and the things people expected from it. Dr. Sid actually has the recurring name "cid" (respelled for the film) and I think the name Aki was in FF8 somewhere (and the director's mother's name) and Hein is used in one of the games (if not more). There are also some pictures and symbols in the film that are from the games, but nothing that big.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steve Latshaw
Recent bookmarks