What's new

OMG! Can't get Linksys Cable/DSL Router working!! (1 Viewer)

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Hello everyone,

I thought this was going to be the easiest thing to do. But unfortunatly I've ran into problems.

I followed the steps in the manual exactly. What the problem I'm having is that the router is not able to get an IP address from my cable modem. I tried inputting what my actual IP address is, but that didn't work either. (I didn't input my subnet mask and gateway though...according to my ISP they aren't needed?)

Anyways, can anyone help me out here? Specifically anyone that may be in Toronto and using Rogers as their ISP w/Linksys Router.

One thing I thought I would mention, is that I currently have 2 IP address'. I had them because I didn't previously have the router. Would/could this be causing the problem? Should I cancel the extra IP?

Thanks a bunch.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Your cable company may lock your IP address to the MAC address of your network card on your computer. Either have the Linksys router clone that MAC address, or call your cable company to get the MAC address that they have registered changed. Sometimes updating the MAC address can be done by simply unplugging the cable modem overnight.

The extra IP address is probably not hurting anything, but canceling it will save you money.

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
I use me linksys with Rogers. If you're using DHCP, you should be fine; what you need (or did need before they went over from @home) is hostname and domain name.

Then go for DHCP, unplug your cable modem, and plug it back in. Then you should be golden.

And for the Love of Me, make sure you've gone to the linksys website and gotten the latest firmware for the unit, and installed it.

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Shayne,

How do I go about getting the host and domain name? Do you set it to auto IP? Or have you manually inputted it?

My computer is getting an IP from the router, so I know it isn't any problem with the router and DHCP. It's just getting the IP from my ISP/modem.

Since I haven't inputted any host or domain, that may just be what the problem is.

Thanks again.

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Well, I got it working.
For whatever reason the cable that I was originally using to connect the modem to my computer was the culprit. I just changed the cables, and everything worked right away.
Thanks for the help though. :)

AllanN

Supporting Actor
My cable modem locks the MAC address but all i have to do is unplug it and then turn it back on. You may want to try that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks