What's new

OMG - Blockbuster has OAR A.I.!!!! (1 Viewer)

JasonKrol

Supporting Actor
I almost fainted when I looked at the shelf and saw nothing but Widescreen A.I. stored floor to ceiling. I didnt even see both versions, just widescreen!

Im soo excited. Now I understand that this could just have been an accident by blockbuster, but who knows. Maybe they are actually coming around?

I also let the guy at the counter know that I was pleased that they had the widescreen version of A.I. since they usually always prefer the Full Screen version. (But by the glazed look on his eyes, I dont think he had a clue what I was talking about.) He was glad that I was pleased, and seemed happy that I gave the compliment.

On a side note, I will actually be renting A.I. tonight, but I rented The One last night. I actually enjoyed it, although I dont think its worth a purchase. And a funny thing, when I was browsing the extras, I noticed none other than Jonathan Huan (spelling?) a.k.a. "Data" from the Goonies. He was the assistant to the Fight Coriographer for the movie. And I checked the credits and he was listed as so. Good for him!!

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
I almost crapped myself last night when I called BB to ask if they had WS AI and they said yes. My mom picked it up on the way to work, so I'll be watching it tonight.

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
Cool! Now I can wait to pick it up with their $9.99 PVD sale at the end of the month.

First Unrated American Pie 2 and now WS A.I.

Doug

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Hummmm, maybe I should reconsider my membership..........................nope. Too little too late.
Peace Out~:D

Seth T

Stunt Coordinator
I paid too much for the $3 rental of The Musketeer in widescreen...but they had it. :)

Travis D

Second Unit
Perhaps they saw the notification on the back of the package that said 1:33 for disc 2 and didn't realize it was just for the extras. I say this because my Movie Gallery did this. Nothing but widescreen for them either.

Do not assume BB likes us. For all intents and puposes, they hate us.

AlbertH

Stunt Coordinator
quote"Do not assume BB likes us. For all intents and puposes, they hate us."

Wow, i always thought it was "for all intensive purposes. I learn something new every day.

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
I don't wanna spoil the party, but I believe when I looked at the back of the case of this 2-disc set, it had both widescreen version, and full frame on disc 2. I guess what I'm saying is don't go praising Blockbuster too much as if they've done us a favor. Let's wait until Universal or whatever releases more seperate Full Frame/Widescreen movies and see if they stock both of them for rent.

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
The "Full Frame Disc 2" thing is just the extras. There is no feature on Disc 2. Funny thing is though, the menus on Disc 2 are anamorphic widescreen.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I couldn't find a WS copy of "A.I" to save my life. Not at any mom&pop stores or Hollywood Video (which is where I usually find them) and certainly not at Blockbuster.
If only Universal would follow the lead of MGM and put both versions of the film on the same disc, we'd all be happy.

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
If only Universal would follow the lead of MGM and put both versions of the film on the same disc, we'd all be happy.
:confused:
It was a Dreamworks release. And they seem to know better. Just look at the Shrek DVD. We have Walmart and BlockBuster to blame for this dual release.
But then again...it is a 2.5 hour movie. It would have had to have been a 3 disc set to get two versions of the movie in one release and keep all the nice extras.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
It was a Dreamworks release. And they seem to know better. Just look at the Shrek DVD. We have Walmart and BlockBuster to blame for this dual release.
DreamWorks' films are distributed on video through Universal. Although I agree, it is a little inconsistent. Also, as I stated on another thread, they probably didn't have room for both WS & FF on the same release, as A.I. is almost an hour longer than Shrek.

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit
At Wal-Mart they had Widescreen only also. Weird. In fact, I haven't seen a single copy of the fullscreen edition anywhere. Are they not printing one in Canada? Not that I'm complaining mind you!

Ron Shaw

Stunt Coordinator
I rented 'Hearts in Atlantis' at BB last weekend, and it was only in widescreen. Maybe they really are going to start listening to us!

Anthony_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony
If you read the thread referenced above...I advised a "wait and see" approach to the first Pan-scan Vs. Widescreen released after BlockBuster's "We like Widescreen" announcement. Looks like they were true to their word. However....I am now in the same camp as Ron-P..."Too little...Too late"

tommy_esq

Stunt Coordinator
Though I thought the movie was a total piece of garbage, I did bring a smile to my face when I saw all of those Widescreen versions sitting on the shelves at BB!

Thanks to this, I was not tempted to buy the Widescreen version sight unseen.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
My local Blockbuster didn't even have one pan&scan A.I. disc to rent, but the discs that they were selling were all pan&scan. Has anyone ever been stupid enough to BUY DVD at Blockbuster? They are usually about 5 or 6 dollars more than the DVDs you can buy online or at Best Buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks