Omega Man, The Haunting, Soylent Green, The Thing ++++

Discussion in 'DVD' started by JeffMc, Apr 11, 2003.

1. JeffMc

JeffMc Supporting Actor

jeffmc
    Saw this over at dvddrivein. Warners is finally unleashing some cool horror sci-fi including the much delayed OMEGA MAN. And the original THE HAUNTING and HOUSE OF WAX (with WAX MUSEUM!!) and SOYLENT GREEN and the original THE THING. Cripes, I'll even get OF UNKNOWN ORIGIN. It's about time!

-----

Warner Home Video has announced their early Halloween DVD promotion. New to DVD on August 5 are HOUSE OF WAX (with bonus feature, the 1933 Technicolor original, MYSTERY OF THE WAX MUSEUM), THE HAUNTING (1963), THE THING (1951), THE OMEGA MAN, SOYLENT GREEN, WAIT UNTIL DARK and OF UNKNOWN ORIGIN. All titles will retail for $19.98 each.

Link: http://www.dvddrive-in.com/

2. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

THE THING!!! YES! And SOYLENT GREEN! [​IMG]

3. Aryn Leroux

Aryn Leroux Screenwriter

ooooh The Haunting [​IMG]
    I have been waiting on this forever hopefully that article is correct. Thanks for the info!

4. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    More titles to buy....

5. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

Soylent Green and The Haunting are mine!!!

6. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

HOUSE OF WAX! THE THING!

wonderful news! some great stuff to look forward to, between Warner and MGM come Aug.

too bad they couldn't have included HOW in 3-d as a bonus, but i guess i shouldn't complain.

now i just want to hear an announcement for Adventures of Robin Hood and i'm all set

7. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

Saw this at DVDDrive-in earlier, and August just keeps getting better and better (see the MGM horror thread I did a while ago)! I have been dying for the original THE HAUNTING to hit DVD, and I'm all over that disc, and I'm very happy to see the excellent WAIT UNTIL DARK getting a release as well! [​IMG]

8. Eric_D

Eric_D Auditioning

Well, I'm not surprised that SOYLENT GREEN, THE HAUNTING and THE OMEGA MAN are coming...all were on the Warner Region 2 List that popped up last year, all of which so far turned out to be legit. The only thing that bums me out is that THE HUNGER, which was also listed along side these other movies for release at the same time on the Region 2 list, doesn't seem to be included for Region 1...at least not for this release date. *Sigh* I've been waiting for that movie to come out forever...I still hope it comes sometime in 2003. Anyone have any info?

9. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

The Haunting & The Thing are mine

[​IMG]

10. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

11. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

A year and 10 months after this thread was composed we'll finally be getting The Haunting.

I've been waiting in Hill House, without food or water, for 2 years awaiting the Digital release of The Haunting (1963). I'll finally get to eat on August 5th. [​IMG]

"Hill House had stood for 90 years and might stand for 90 more. Silence lay steadily against the wood and stone of Hill House .... and whatever walked there, walked alone."

12. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Jack Briggs: Rejoice!! [​IMG]

13. Roderick Gauci

Roderick Gauci Stunt Coordinator

The main reason why we DVD collectors should all be happy about this announcement is because Warners have finally woken up to the horror gems in their extensive catalogue and are seeking to appease us horror fans.

Anyway, having watched all the films before, the ones I am most excited about are THE THING (1951) and the HOUSE OF WAX (1953)/MYSTERY OF THE WAX MUSEUM (1933) double-feature. I sincerely hope that Warners will not just slap these onto DVD and give ‘em to us – I seem to recall that both 1950s features underwent some form of restoration, so maybe a retrospective documentary could have been commissioned for just this event. I also hope that MYSTERY OF THE WAX MUSEUM is given some thought: I’m particularly concerned about its delicate color scheme, as the PAL VHS tape I own is pretty inconsistent. Like some of you here, I’m keeping my fingers crossed for other Warners double-features in the future: LONDON AFTER MIDNIGHT (1927; TCM Reconstruction)/MARK OF THE VAMPIRE (1935), DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE (1932 and 1941 versions), DR. X (1932)/THE RETURN OF DR. X (1939) and also, perhaps, FREAKS (1932)/THE DEVIL-DOLL (1935).

As for the rest, I’m not sure. I’m not too fond of THE HAUNTING (1963) or the two Charlton Heston flicks - THE OMEGA MAN (1971) and SOYLENT GREEN (1973) – but it will all depend on what supplements Warners have in store for them, I guess. WAIT UNTIL DARK (1967), on the other hand, is more thriller than horror – but a good one – and, so, it’s just as welcome on DVD.

August has certainly become one of the most expensive months of the year: I’ve about 9 or 10 definite purchases from the MGM/Warner stables alone!

14. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

if The Thing is from 1951, then why are they saying 50 th anniversary, should it not be 52th anniversary or am I missing the point

[​IMG]

15. Roger Rollins

Roger Rollins Supporting Actor

All of these releases are great news, even if one is not particular to a specific title or two. That's a personal taste issue, but there's no denying that all these titles have been frequently mentioned here on people's most wanted lists, especially THE HAUNTING which has been begged for at times!

As to MYSTERY OF THE WAX MUSEUM, don't expect it to look wonderful. It can't. The only surviving color element was Jack Warner's personal print. That print was used to create dupe negs, the result of which is limited by the quality of the source material. No matter though, because it's terrific that WB is giving this as a free bonus with HOUSE OF WAX.

All these horror gems AND at last a SE of NAT'L LAMPOON'S VACATION!!! What a summer!!!!

16. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Oh, YES! [​IMG]

All DVDs will be mine! [​IMG]

But are all DVDs bare-bones/trailer-only, DD1.0/DD2.0 and (where applicable) anamorphic widescreen?

Heck, I'm just glad that these gems are finally coming to DVD! [​IMG]

Gordy

17. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Assuming it's OAR, I'd definitely get Soylent Green.

18. Sean Dayton

Sean Dayton Stunt Coordinator

Very Cool, I have been wait for the Haunting for a very long time. Time to retire the Laserdisc release.

19. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

Spectacular news! I'm very happy to see Warners releasing MYSTERY OF THE WAX MUSEUM with HOUSE OF WAX. It's gonna be an expensive August!

20. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Cover art for Haunting, House Of Wax, and maybe The Thing is here.