Olympics in Salt Lake City: an Observation.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jin E, Dec 20, 2001.

1. Jin E

Jin E Second Unit

Two things:

#1: There are like 3 metal detector in who entire ariport at SLC, and with what looked like a less then average sized day the place was swamped. How on earth are they going to deal with thousands of people flying in and out for the games!?!?!

#2: Everywhere is non-smoking. You cannot get non-smoking rooms in a LOT of the hotel in SLC so I've been told (A aquaintance traveling there was a chain smoker and this is what he tells me... so take it with a grain of salt). From what I could tell (from my travels in Europe) a lot of these international guys are used to being able to light up just about anywhere they want. I could not find a place to smoke my cigars (and outside was not a good option since it takes 30min to over an hour to smoke a cigar and it's BUTT cold outside!)

Anyhoo... pleae return to your regulary scheduled programming.

2. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

"Welcome to McDonalds."

I hate that commercial.

3. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    Salt Lake hosting the winter olypmics seems like it would be comprable to Indianapolis taking on the summer olympics. Do they have enough hotel rooms, restaurants, parking spaces, and runways to host a world class event? I would have thought that Denver is the only city in the US that could compete for the winter olympics but even that would be a stretch.

4. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

Carl - I would think that the Olympic committee would have thought of those things when giving it to SLC. So hopefully, yes. Or it could have just been politics. [​IMG]
    I think at this point though, all hotels would be fully booked by now. So I imagine it's impossible to get a room somewhere unless you know some locals that can get you into their home.
    As for the other concerns...Park City is a very popular location for celebrities and out-of-towners to go vacation and ski. I don't think anybody is going to be having a problem with any local laws or ordinances. Celebrities, with all their idiosyncrasies, seem to love the place.

5. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

6. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

Patrick and Jin - "Everwhere is non-smoking" isn't exactly true. The state has a law that you cannot smoke in indoor public places that are not designated as smoking areas. Just walk through the Salt Lake airport and you'll hear this announcement about every 5 minutes. So, many indoor public places have special ventalated rooms or areas set aside for smokers. Smoking outdoors is permitted of course. Restaurants do have smoking areas, but are pretty small. Hotels have set aside a small percentage of their rooms as designated smoking rooms. It may be a bit of an inconvenience for smokers, but it's the price you pay when you have stinky habit.