Olympic announcements - why in French first???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dennis Reno, Feb 12, 2002.

1. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

I noticed that the announcements during the Olympics (not on TV, at the actual event) are done first in French and then in English. Uhhhh, why???

2. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

Because French is the world's most-spoken language?

3. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    Dennis - because you're watching CBC for your olympic coverage!!!??? Just kidding.

It's because French and English are the two official languages of the olympics. French is always announced first, no matter what country they are held.

And I believe that Chinese, and all it's various dialects is the most spoken language in the world. Or perhaps English.

4. Scott Barnhart

Scott Barnhart Stunt Coordinator

It might have something to do with the first sentence of this paragraph:

Frenchman Pierre DE COUBERTIN was the reviver of the ancient Olympic Games and the founder of the IOC, of which he was president from 1896 through 1925...France has hosted five Olympic Games, including the 1st Olympic Winter Games in 1924 in Chamonix and the XVth Olympic Winter Games in 1992 in Albertville...France is one of 12 countries to have competed in all 19 Olympic Winter Games.

5. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

I think it's to wake up the French judges in time for them to screw over the Canadians. [​IMG]

6. JamesMH

JamesMH Stunt Coordinator

"Because French is the world's most-spoken language? "
    [​IMG]
    I think more people speak Welsh! [​IMG]

7. andrew markworthy

Actually, the Olympic idea was revived by a group of Brits, who had for a few years been holding competitions between adjoining villages. The Baron even visited one of these 'olympics' when putting his own plans together. I'm afraid it's like artifical flight - something ascribed to others, but actually first done by the Brits (check out Sir George Cayley). 'All' the Baron did was put it on a larger scale.

Chinese is the most-spoken language in terms of numbers of native speakers. English, however, is easily the most widely-spoken language.

Why such a (with respect) minor language as French should continue to be used when the Olympics are in non-French-speaking countries is beyond me. It's like expecting all soccer players around the world to speak in English because the game was invented in the UK.

8. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

what I thought was even funnier was at the medal ceremony for the 3 US snowboarders that swept that event they still spoke French first...even though I doubt there was anyone but English speaking Americans in the crowd at the time.

9. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

After giving it some more thought, maybe its instructions to the French judges telling them who to vote for: