Olympic 2002 Hockey on DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Allan Mack, Mar 13, 2003.

1. Allan Mack

Allan Mack Supporting Actor

Well, part of my DVD wishlist has come true. There is now a DVD of the Olympic 2002 gold medal hockey game between Canada and the U.S.A.:

Hockey Gold Medal 2002

It's $22.99 at A&B Sound right now.

Now, if only they could also release the '76 and '87 Canada Cup series on DVD...

2. PaulP

PaulP Producer

By the way, has anyone bought this: Canada's Team of the Century: The Best of '72? It looks like it has eight complete games! Any reviews anywhere? Now this is how sports on DVD should be! I'd love to get all the previous Stanley Cup Finals (at least the cup-winning game) uncut. The stupid "Championship" Videos just suck.

3. Aaron Cohen

Aaron Cohen Second Unit

Me too. I've dreamed of a dvd set with uncut Stanley Cup Finals games and playoff runs! (I want last year's Carolina Hurricanes playoff run myself, the most exciting one I can remember of any team.....8 OT wins I believe!!!) Too bad they couldn't beat Detroit. Do you know if that miracle on ice dvd they've got for about 15 bucks is any good? It's the one with the U.S. beating the Soviet Union.

4. PaulP

PaulP Producer

If what you mean is the Miracle of Ice HBO documentary, then it's okay. Nothing special. Certainly not any complete games.

5. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

I am quessing this release, O2002H, is 4:3 & DD2.0, not 16:9 & DD 5.1 from the HD feed?

6. KrisM

KrisM Second Unit

I have Canada's Team of the Century and if you are interested in the series it is worth picking up. I got mine when it came out for $30CDN, a great deal for all eight games. It would cost about $20 just to rent it. I haven't watched much of it yet so I can't give much of a review. The quality is lacking, but to have this series with every minute is a pretty cool thing.
    I would love to get some of the Canada Cup series as well, especially the classic games against the Soviets. That is old time hockey![​IMG]

Regards
    KrisM

7. MikeSilver

MikeSilver Stunt Coordinator

If I could get a pristine copy of the 1987 Canada Cup final series Game 3 (Gretzky to Lemieux, he shoots...) on DVD, I could rest happily. [​IMG]

8. Rob Colburn

Rob Colburn Auditioning

Paul

I have the Canada's Team of the Century set and have watched all eight games. I thought the set was fantastic. There are certainly problems with the quality, however, these problems originate from the level of 1972 technology. The games from Canada are much better (great colour} than the ones from Russia which suffer from all sorts of satellite break downs, both audio and video. The graphics are very crude compared to today's work and Foster Hewitt continually pronounces the players names incorrectly. However that is what makes it such a great set, it is exactly as it was in 1972 not over produced with slick graphics and announcing that could be done by computer. The hockey is what sells the show and it is very exciting old time hockey (just look at the equipment they use}. I would highly recommend this set for any hockey fan. The one thing I would have liked to see was more extras, I didn't think they included enough but that is just a small complaint.

Rob

9. Allan Mack

Allan Mack Supporting Actor

10. Eric Fisher

Eric Fisher Stunt Coordinator

I want a director's cut with the alternate ending [​IMG]

11. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

You mean the shoot out at the goal ending?

12. MikeSilver

MikeSilver Stunt Coordinator

Nahhh... He just wants the U.S. to have won, not Canada. [​IMG]

Gotta love that Golden Loonie!

13. PaulP

PaulP Producer

But Canada played against USSR...

14. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

Sure... Include the alternate ending of the U.S. winning.

The audio commentary for it can explain that it wasn't used because it wasn't believable. [​IMG]