What's new

Oliver Stone's Alexander August 2 (1 Viewer)

Richard Michael Clark

Second Unit
Why is it SO incredibly difficult to get the answers to my 2 simple questions from anyone at all? :frowning:

On the Theatrical Version dvd
1) Is disc 1 a dvd5 and disc 2 a dvd9?

2) What bit rate is the English 5.1 track encoded at?

(I have the UK release and just want to know if the R1 release is the same or not!)

:frowning:

Frank@N

Screenwriter

Maybe someone whose watched the R1 TC several times could say if there was a layer change.

Would that answer your question?

Frank@N

Screenwriter
OK, after flipping back and forth between the TC vs the DC, I finally decided on a used copy of the TC.

Glad I did, because the longer runtime and extended narration worked well for me in a comfortable HT setting.

Suffice to say, Alexander is best movie I've seen in a long time if only because it tried to say something about the human condition (ancient or otherwise).

I was disappointed with Troy and King Arthur because they provided nothing but empty, fake action.

Other new releases were equally disappointing, Million Dollar Baby (for me) played like a TV movie and the recent
Constantine (for me) was a silly underdeveloped mess with a whoring sequel ending.

Thank God for Alexander!

The only sequence that bothered me was the intercutting of Alexander's purge with that of his bedding of the Persian sex slave.

Think OS was trying to bait the expected homophobia of the audience to taint the purge so that when Alexander later realizes that he has become his parents, we feel his shame.

Since modern audience have been desensitized to Godfather-like purges, OS must have felt that he had to intercut with something that audiences would automatically feel is 'wrong'.

I just think that using the audience's homophobia to created an emotional response isn't ethically a good thing.

Frank@N

Screenwriter

Watched the movie a 2nd time with commentary, might have been a bit hard on OS here.

Another interpretation might go back to Alexander's early instruction about the wrongness of lying with another man in lust (not in love/knowledge).

Perhaps the purge intercut with Bagoas was designed to evoke emotion because Alexander had apparently given into lust, but not because the physical act was 'wrong'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks