What's new

Oliver Stone's Alexander August 2 (1 Viewer)

Alejandro

Stunt Coordinator

Believe me Daniel, I don't think the homoerotic content was the real "problem" of this picture. I must say I went to the movie hoping a modern fresh approach to Alexander's sexuality was well handled, by someone who understand it. I was wrong. Stone's approach was so awkward and unintentionally funny he can't hide the fact he doen't share Alexander's sensibility or understand it. Shame. Was the material he finally included so disturbing? How come then than Alexander's more graphic sex scene was with a woman?
The "problem" with the movie is that it was plain BAD. Long, overacted and boring. Isn't it enough to flop at the box office? I'm glad he's given a second chance with the DVD but I'm not sure he's cutting the right things. If he still thinks that what made his picture flop was the candid glances between him and Jared Leto, he is soooo wrong. I hope that "newly inspired" in the DC edition means it for real.

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
I just wanted restate the fact that, judging from the various interviews with Stone I've read, the new cut has nothing to do with trimming gay content, but more to do with adding, trimming, restructuring and reshaping the picture, much like he did with Any Given Sunday (the theatrical version of which is a disaster compared to the much improved director's cut). It seems that he's just never done with putting the movie together by theatrical release date, which I think is somewhat understandable for a movie of this size, much larger than anything he's worked on before. The theatrical cut really felt like a rough cut or even an assembly cut to me; I really hope this new cut will be a return to the old Stone that we used to know. Again, you can read about what is known of the changes in the other Alexander dvd thread.

Regards,
Nathan

Brett*H

Stunt Coordinator
This is really a confusing release as it appears that several different versions are going to be available.Amazon has 2 separate versions: The director's cut version and the theatrical version.Columbia House tv/dvd club has a release that contains BOTH the directer's cut and theatrical versions in one set which is comprised of 2 discs for $19.99 but it doesn't look like it contains the "making of" featurette.Would be appreciated if anyone has anymore info about these 3 different releases.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
It would be nice if they waited to see what Stone actually did with his "Director's Cut" instead of responding to speculation.

Vincent

Jack _Webster

Stunt Coordinator
I'm renting the DC before I make a decision on which version to get. The reviewer didn't seem to like the cutting back and forth between flashbacks and present - but that's actually what I'm looking forward to.

The movie may have been a failure - but it sure is an intriguing failure.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will

I know THEY (those PESKY PESKY "gays") just won't leave well enough alone, right?

Of course, as it turns out, GLAAD is 100% correct.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I repeat, BOTH versions are available so no one should be whining no matter what they think about it.

And I think the point was that GLAAD hasn't seen the new cut of the movie yet. At least when they do, their opinion will have some meaning. If they don't like what the re-edit does, that's fine but they should wait until they see it before making a statement.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
The point is that GLAAD was NOT responding to speculation about the re-edit, but to Oliver Stone's own comments about his intentions in this regard.

And their point is still valid.

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
With that recent review of the Director's Cut in mind, I just cancelled my pre-orders and secured copies of the Theatrical Cut, instead. I really wish Stone had released both versions on one disc, as this was a very tough call. That I finally chose the theatrical cut was because I know it was his true DC.

guille verdun

Stunt Coordinator
just before i went to see ''Alexander'' on cinema, i read the novel ''Alexandros'' by Valerio Maximo Manfredi...oh boy...if they do a movie about that novel...

This are 3 awesome books that cover in a novelistic and historical way the entire life of Alexander... sure there are homosexual encounters and other stuf that some people my find ofensive, but this was the way people lived in those days...

the movie movie for me was ok... but i didn't like the fact that they show only the last campaigns of Alexander...he had a lot more violent and complex battles before confronting the Persians... not in number but in obstacles... and he had way more ''hetero'' encounters in this firts campaigns... he had alot of wifes...some described beatifully... and a maiden that never appears in the movie...and the dog.... perdicas... that died saving him... thats a hell of a movie scene...

well...Oliver... i lstill like you for making NATURAL BORN KILLERS...

oh... if the reviews are correct i guess i'll pick the teatrical cut...

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member

Will:

I'm gay, and regardless that wasn't my point. My point was that people were attacking something based on rumor rather than actually having seen. So what if they turned out to be right? They still launched attacks before they saw it.

Vincent

PatrickDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Patrick
I'm gay as well and nothing gets me going more than these
militant gay groups attacking films or politicans without
knowing the FACTS! In fact, I've heard this new director's
cut will actually contain more sex between the male actors
than the first cut! Alex and Heph. will kiss AND Bagoas will
be seen taking his robe off after Colin (buck naked) has
gotten into bed! Although, it's true that some of the
conversation between Alex and Heph. has been cut in two
scenes.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Again, GLAAD was responding to Oliver Stone's comments regarding his proposed re-edit, not the unseen film. And GLAAD didn't exactly launch a boycott or an attack, they simply prepared a statement.

NO reviewer has stated that Stone's new cut INCREASES the gay content so I'm not sure where you heard that. If I turn out to be wrong Patrick, I'll apologize.

As a gay man, GLAAD, far from being a "militant gay group" attacking things sight unseen, is your friend.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks