Oliver Stone arrested on Drug, DUI charges

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jeff B., May 28, 2005.

1. Jeff B.

Jeff B. Stunt Coordinator

2. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

There's a chilling phrase.

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Come on, I don't think Stone has ever been shy about talking about his taste for various pharmaceuticals. I think he mentions "being under the influence" in nearly every one of his directors commentaries... I think anyone who has seen his films knows this portion of his personality absolutely influences his work.

Now, I'm not defending the guy (and I'm certainly not in favor of drunk driving)-- but I think that being surprised or thinking he's "screwing up his talent" is a tad naive... his entire career thus far has been largely steeped in his connection between creative juices and dangerous vices.

Oh, and about checkpoints:
    Like everywhere in the US, police departments often place Drunk Driving check points in specific areas which allow them to more easily spot and cite drunk drivers.

The checkpoints here in Hollywood are also the result of increased gang activity in the touristy areas over the past couple years... It's not a military checkpoint requiring everyone to stop/check: rather it's just a central location for police screenings of suspicious vehicles (which many would argue simply makes the Police easier to avoid, lol).

-V

4. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Vince,
    Thanks. Eye of the beholder and all that...
    For those of us of a certain age some of the words carry a lot of baggage. Checkpoint=Berlin...1984...
    And then there is a real history to the LAPD. One that I have experienced first hand.
    I recall intervening when a friend was being hassled needlessly. I told a West Hollywood Deputy, "That's not right." He got in my face and explained something that I had never known until that moment, "You don't have any rights."

Of course none of this has a thing to do with Oliver driving under the influence of whatever.

5. Jeff B.

Jeff B. Stunt Coordinator

Vince, I am well aware of the influence drugs in Stone's career. If you would read my post before making assumptions and calling me naive you would see I never said he was "screwing up his talent." I was only trying to say that its too bad he is being an idiot and driving around hollywood drunk with drugs in his possession. Whatever people want to do in the privacy of their own homes is none of my business, but being selfish and putting others at risk on the road is ridiculous. What is he almost 60 now? He should know better.

6. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Oliver Stone was born 15 September 1946.

That old geezer is only 3 months older than me....I can't stand it. [​IMG]

7. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

I remember watching the "Natural Born Killers" director's cut on VHS before I ever got a DVD player and being thoroughly unimpressed. I thought it was self-indulgent, erratic and ultimately artless, and I watched the bonus material on the second tape and he discussed writing portions of it while tripping on something, I believe it was mushrooms, as he drove through the desert. At that point the reasons for the complete failure of "NBK" became instantly apparant. Stone is a talented filmmaker but it's obvious to me that, at least in his case, drugs are a crutch that just aren't an effective way to spark creativity. I'm sure someone will provide a list of people like the Beatles and Hunter S. Thompson who were at their creative peak while using drugs, but I believe those cases are in the minority. I hope he gets his act together.