Oliver! SE?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by felipenor, Jul 26, 2005.

1. felipenor

felipenor Stunt Coordinator

I heard about it. Is it true? Is this a SE os is it just the same dvd along with the soundtrack cd?

2. Jonathan_W

Jonathan_W Extra

I have no clue. However, were the studio to release a special edition of this film, I would seriously consider picking it up. While not in the same league as his other films, such as "The Stars Look Down," "The Fallen Idol," and "The Third Man," Carol Reed's "Oliver!" is nonetheless very accomplished, and holds up nicely to multiple viewings. With the addition of some reasonably informative special features, this movie would be a worthy addition to most DVD collections.

3. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

I'd buy it. But I agree about "The Third Man" being far superior (haven't seen the other two). Excellent film! Maybe an "Oliver!" SE could include a doc on Reed's career, since it finally got him that Best Director Oscar on the third try.

Edit: It would be fitting to re-release it this year, since it seems like the year of the Best Picture re-release! Look at what BP's are already coming up for re-release just this summer/fall:

The Sting (2-disc)
    The Deer Hunter (2-disc)
    Titanic (3-disc)
    Ben-Hur (3-disc)
    Gladiator (3-disc)
    Chicago (2-disc + CD)

Pretty impressive. And is there still supposed to be a new Sound of Music version coming out, too?

4. Charles H

Charles H Screenwriter

Does anyone know if OLIVER really and truly and honestly will be letterboxed? Will it be a "flipper?"
    Any chance that Sony/Columbia might bring out letterboxed editions of Sir Carol Reed's OUR MAN IN HAVANA, THE KEY, THE RUNNING MAN?

5. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

Charles H - don't know what you mean by truly and honestly letterboxed. The Last dVD was letterboxed and the pioneer Special edition laserdisc was letterboxed.

6. TedD

TedD Supporting Actor

Yeah, but after what Columbia did to the SE of "Annie", I will never again trust Columbia to do the right thing!

Ted

7. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Are we talking about the 1960's musical version?

I have the older DVD and it's great...its a flipper but they break point is ok (I think at intermission).

Image quality is a strong B+ and audio is good.

8. felipenor

Sound of music SE? A 2-disc or 3-disc one?

9. felipenor

Any news?

10. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    From davisdvd.com :

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment will re-release the 1968 musical Oliver! on September 27th. While the DVD will remain the same as the currently available "30th Anniversary Tribute Edition" (2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen, Dolby Digital 5.1, featurette, photo gallery), this release will include the long out-of-print soundtrack CD in a second Amaray case. Retail is lower too at $19.94.

http://davisdvd.com/images/covers_big/oliver.jpg