Oliver! coming 9/27 from Sony

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Greg_M, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Greg_M

Greg_M Screenwriter

DVD planet lists a new version of the Academy Award winning film "Oliver!" for release on 9/27 with a premium CD bonus. Retail is only $19.95

No specs if this is to be a full screen or widescreen presentation. After what SONY pulled with the similar themed film "Annie" (releasing a special edition in Full screen only and pulling the widescreen version from store shelves)the news may not be so welcome. The original "Oliver"! DVD was a flipper.

2. AlanP

AlanP Supporting Actor

I have the original, and it is not a flipper.
    And it is ANAMORPHIC WIDESCREEN.
    I just watched it recently.

3. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

It is a flipper, but the break is at the appropriate Intermission mark.

4. Douglas R

Douglas R Cinematographer

Doug
    Probably cashing-in on the opening of Roman Polanski's new film Oliver Twist.

5. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Cinematographer

I hope the sound is remastered because the sound was not good on the old dvd with no high end and several moments with fake surrounds messing up the mix.

6. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    The best it has ever sounded on home video was the stereo track on the laserdisc thanks to Joe Caps. Unfortunately, my laserdisc has rotted away to the point where I am getting dropouts on the PCM track [​IMG]. It would be nice if they improved the audio presentation on the DVD, but I don't think it's likely.

Regards,

7. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew

They wouldn't do this to a Best Picture winner, would they?

8. Sean A

Sean A Stunt Coordinator

If they do, then we REALLY know how bad a Studio can be . would could be worse than releasing a hugely popular, Oscar winning film pan-and-scanned ??

I mean, could that possibly be the biggest DVD faux pas in it's history ??

9. WillG

WillG Producer

Well, we have had to put up with an MAR version of "The Sting" from Universal for many years. Granted, they are finally doing right by it and releasing an new OAR version, but there is an example of where it has happened.

10. Charles H

Charles H Screenwriter

I will say this about Sony: there was such an outcry about a pan-&-scan version of CASTLE KEEP (the best thing about the film is the 2.35 Panavision photography) that they did bring out a letterboxed version a couple of months later. Has any other company done that? Other than a remastered upgrade (SE) many years later?

11. WillG

WillG Producer

Well, there is the legendary "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" example. It was initially released in FF only. There were floods of complaints to WB and petitions were set up. WB quickly released an Widescreen version to the market. There were some releases from MGM where it was rumored that they were going to be released P&S only "I Could Go On Singing" and "Charly" were examples of this, but were ultimately released in Widescreen due to reaction from fans of those films. I can't entirely confirm that because I think I read some accounts that the P&S only rumor on those were false and a widescreen version was always planned.

In reagards to "Castle Keep" the rumors I heard was that it was intervention from Spielberg, Lucas and Scorsese that got the Widescreen version released (I tend to believe that might have been the case since Columbia is still putting out P&S only editions of films, the recent "Matilda" SE for example and they are still dropping the WS sides off of their flipper discs. So it's not like they had some kind of epiphany about OAR in the wake of "Castle Keep")

12. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Only because Castle Keep's director, Sydney Pollack, is still alive to complain did an OAR version get released. John Huston would have had to protest the P&S "Annie" from beyond the grave, as would Sir Carol Reed if such is done to "Oliver!"