1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Blu-ray Review Oliver! Blu-ray Review

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Todd Erwin, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Producer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    PMF likes this.
  2. titch

titch Supporting Actor

Kevin Oppegaard
    Todd - you appeared in Oliver! too as a small schoolboy? Ah, bless! I myself played the role of Oliver in our amateur school production about four decades ago. On the opening night performance for the parents , I was so overcome with nerves, I couldn't sing "Where Is Love?" for the life of me! My proud mother recorded the dreadful performance and she played it at a family gathering a few years ago. Ghastly, toe-curlingly bad. Like a cat yowling. My son was in hysterics. I've rarely been so embarrassed.

PMF likes this.
  3. KPmusmag

KPmusmag Screenwriter
    Supporter

Kevin Parcher
    The lack of the isolated score makes me very glad that I bought the TT version.

PMF likes this.
  4. RichMurphy

RichMurphy Second Unit

Rich
    Hopefully Sony will also reissue Blu-Rays of PICNIC and PAL JOEY.

5. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    I love this movie and I will be buying this one.

PMF likes this.
  6. Message #6 of 12 Jan 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    PMF

PMF Producer

Philip
    Glad to learn that "Oliver" will continue to be available for future viewers.
    I, for one, already have the TT edition; with both the isolated score tracks and 8-page booklet;
    so, any other purchase would only occur if Sony decided to produce a 4K/UHD disc.
    Let's hope.

7. warnerbro

warnerbro Supporting Actor

Darrell
    This movie is awesome! One of the greatest ever. Perfection -- great songs and truly terrifying in places.

8. AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke Screenwriter

Anthony
    I always found Mark Lester just a tad a bit too soppy ... though it's always amused me that Oliver's voice was in fact dubbed by Carol Reed's daughter!
    But visually, it is indeed simply wonderful. If you want to hear it as it should sound however, you must track down a copy of the original London cast recording. It's sublime. Never been bettered. And, as a bonus, that original cast recording features the great Barry Humphries as the undertaker, in 'That's Your Funeral'.

B-ROLL and bujaki like this.
  9. B-ROLL

B-ROLL Cinematographer

Bryan
    The Google found it pretty quickly https://www.amazon.com/Oliver-1960-Original-London-Cast/dp/B000025BD5

The Beatles first appearances on the Ed Sullivan Shows have the original Broadway cast doing some of the songs as well ...

And I believe Mr. Jones may have Monkeed around with the notes in this full version of "I'ld Do Anything" ...

PMF likes this.
  10. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Just wanted to mention in my very extensive cast album collection (both LP and CD), I had always been meaning to get the Original London Cast of Oliver! and for some reason had never gotten around to getting it even though it has always been important to me (possibly not important enough until today) to hear the score in its initial recording by its original cast. I rectified that omission this morning after being reminded in this thread that I didn't have it. Soon it will join its Broadway sibling on the shelf.

PMF, JohnMor, AnthonyClarke and 2 others like this.
  11. CMNash

CMNash Stunt Coordinator

Carlos M Nash
    I've been wanting an expanded soundtrack--with better sound quality--for the longest. At least the TT blu-ray offers a M&E track. However, I wonder why Columbia and Sony have not reached out to Harvard's Houghton Library to get a copy of the original score. The library has in its archive, 10 of Green's reel-to-reel copies of transfers, playbacks, and the background score.

donniecasali and alistairKerr like this.
  12. CMNash

CMNash Stunt Coordinator

Carlos M Nash
    I had posted this somewhere, but it seemed to have vanished. Anyhow...

I've been wanting an expanded soundtrack--with better sound quality--for the longest. At least the TT Blu-ray offers an M&E track. However, I wonder why Columbia and Sony have not reached out to Harvard's Houghton Library to get a copy of the original score. The library has in its archive, 10 of Green's reel-to-reel copies of transfers, playbacks, and background score.

https://hollisarchives.lib.harvard.edu/repositories/24/archival_objects/909303
    https://hollisarchives.lib.harvard.edu/repositories/24/archival_objects/909304
    https://hollisarchives.lib.harvard.edu/repositories/24/archival_objects/909412