1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Olive Films

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by battlebeast, Apr 11, 2019.

1. battlebeast

battlebeast Cinematographer

Warren
    Is Olive Films dead?

Ed Lachmann and atcolomb like this.
  2. atcolomb

atcolomb Screenwriter

Angelo
    Or are they in the pits? I went to their website and clicked on Coming Soon and the screen said "No products were found matching your selection".

3. skylark68

skylark68 Screenwriter

Timothy
    Yes, I asked the same question awhile back. No one seems to know it seems. They haven't put anything out in quite some time. The last few releases they had were foreign films If I remember correctly. It'd be a loss for me, as they released a few of my favorite titles over the years and the transfers were mostly pretty good. Escape from Zahrain and Strategic Air Command were two of the ones I was real happy about. I also bought the "Signature" Father Goose and Operation Petticoat.

4. battlebeast

battlebeast Cinematographer

Warren
    Someone posted a link in the KINO thread but it just went to a sale page. Someone else posted that they wouldn’t miss them, so now I’m curious.

skylark68 likes this.
  5. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    I, for one, was glad Olive released those foreign films as well. I bought those titles that I didn't already own and they were worth my time and money.

skylark68 likes this.
  6. Traveling Matt

Traveling Matt Supporting Actor

Something seems funny about the climate surrounding a few boutique labels right now. Olive is quiet, Intrada had a nearly month-long hiatus between soundtrack CD releases due to multiple, seemingly simultaneous delays on approvals (extremely unusual), La-La Land has experienced some delays or cancellations, and Sony Music recently changed policy which now prohibits licenses to third party music labels including soundtrack labels (a considerable loss). Plus it's being said there is one remaining pressing plant for optical media in the U.S., which I'm not sure is entirely true.

But things feel funny right now. Not sure what's going on, if anything significant.

skylark68 and atcolomb like this.
  7. StarDestroyer52

StarDestroyer52 Stunt Coordinator

John
    I believe Mr Capra Goes to War was there last release. Though I would like to know is going on with them. Recently I bought the Signature Edition of Hannie Caulder. I would be sad if there gone because they released many great Republic films

skylark68 likes this.
  8. Arthur Powell

Arthur Powell Second Unit

Arthur
    I've always liked Olive's product. The masters were rarely if ever reference quality, but they were acceptable and adequate. Then again, I'm not someone whose movie watching is ruined by speckles and cue marks. The biggest disappointment for me is how Olive handled the Beach Party films. They put out very nice blu-ray editions of Beach Blanket Bingo and Muscle Beach Party but then never followed through with the rest of the series. At this point I doubt we'll see the bulk of the series since Olive is MIA and the Kino rep on another forum mentioned that the company passed on releasing the films when given the chance. That's a shame since MGM handled the films clumsily during the DVD era - some had nice anamorphic transfers, but some like How to Stuff a Wild Bikini were non-anamorphic.

9. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    Don't know if they are dead, but I do know a lot of their catalog titles are out of stock at Amazon and their stuff never goes on sale. Also Paramount has been quietly putting out a lot of former Olive titles on digital download at reasonable prices.

10. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

They're still posting daily on social media but they don't seem to have anything in the works...

11. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

That was remedied when Fox released a MOD of How To Stuff A Wild Bikini in 2014 which features a nice anamorphic transfer.

Arthur Powell and Kirk76 like this.
  12. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I’m wondering if they’re having a harder time with licensing now that Kino has ramped in their game. Kino is putting out a lot of Paramount/Republic/Melange titles that were the kind of things Olive used to license. It might be that Kino is offering studios better deals than Olive. If I was a studio looking for a licensing partner, Kino’s aggressive release strategy along with their frequent discounts that drive sales would probably sound pretty appealing to me.

skylark68 likes this.
  13. Arthur Powell

Arthur Powell Second Unit

Arthur
    Thanks - I didn't know that. I'll have to check it out.

14. moviepas

moviepas Supporting Actor

Go9t an email today but it was promoting older Signature releases which I have for better or worse. I have not had a monthly Comin\g Soon and had been wondering of late. I don't like the way they present their emails as I find it hard to read with the light colors they use. Like many DVD/Blu Ray slicks. I am still cheesed off that they did not issue the 3-D version of Martin & Lewis' Money From Home. Stopped others from issuing it.

phillyrobt likes this.
  15. B1urmeter

B1urmeter Auditioning

Shane
    Nope. I ordered KILL ME AGAIN from their website last week and received it in 4 days time.

battlebeast likes this.
  16. revgen

revgen Screenwriter

Dan
    They've gone downhill since Frank Tarzi left them and went over to Kino.

17. Message #17 of 23 Aug 12, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    Tom St Jones

Tom St Jones Supporting Actor

Thomas
  18. Replace1234

Replace1234 Extra

Nicky Aiuto
    I am trying to find a contact number for DVD replacement for Rock a Doodle DVD released in 2017, for the correct pitch. But I can't find the contact number for DVD replacement. Does anyone have any information? Please respond.

19. atcolomb

atcolomb Screenwriter

Angelo
    Saw The Quiet Man a few days ago and made me think if Olive Films is still releasing anything recently?

20. StarDestroyer52

StarDestroyer52 Stunt Coordinator

John
    With Rio Grande seeing a UK release with a new scan from Eureka makes me believe Olive will release an Signature Edition to update from the previous barebones Rio Grande

RICK BOND and atcolomb like this.