What's new

Olive Films Blu-ray Release and Discussion Thread (2 Viewers)

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Ken_Martinez said:
Uh, BETTY BOOP'S RISE TO FAME is most definitely public domain. POOR CINDERELLA is, as well. This has been verified by animation people who research this sort of thing for a living.

Even that 49 count is lower than the 66 shorts originally promised. You've skipped over FAR more than the PD ones.
I think the studio has more at stake and I would believe their records over the animation people. Unfortunately, we living at a time where people believe everything they read on the internet, especially when its reposted a few times. In the past two or three years, they've removed bootlegs of so-called PD titles like THE BUCCANEER (1938), RUTHLESS, HANGAR 18, SHARK, MACBETH just to name a few. The original list had repeats, so once they removed those the number came down to 49.

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
The Internet Archive hosts many of the shorts that will appear in Olive's upcoming collection, under the pretense that they are PD.

The thing I don't get is why not do new scans for and release the PD stuff as well? Presumably it's due to concerns over the unofficial competition, right? But surely they realise they are going to get the same competition whether or not their collection is non-PD only anyway? A lot of the 49 shorts they will release are available freely on the net (again, under the pretense that viewing them is legal), and in previous DVD sets.

Do you have any information regarding what led Olive to come to this decision? Do they not see the advantages of a complete set? Or is it down to whoever owns the elements not playing ball?

Anyway, although I'm very disappointed to hear that the collection will be far from complete, I am very happy to see Minnie the Moocher included in your listing.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Judging by that list, it looks like there will be 4 collections in total. I look forward to them.

Hopefully these sell well enough for Olive to consider releasing more Fleischer cartoons and other Paramount shorts, as well as consider giving some of those public domain shorts remastered blu-ray treatment.
MisterLime said:
I think the studio has more at stake and I would believe their records over the animation people. Unfortunately, we living at a time where people believe everything they read on the internet, especially when its reposted a few times. In the past two or three years, they've removed bootlegs of so-called PD titles like THE BUCCANEER (1938), RUTHLESS, HANGAR 18, SHARK, MACBETH just to name a few. The original list had repeats, so once they removed those the number came down to 49.
Probably a good thing more of those ended up copyrighted in this case. It does seem that bootleggers and various internet "pirates" try to propagate myths of certain copyrighted titles as being public domain either out of an innocent case of groupthink or feign ignorance with bogus or outdated legal citations.

I certainly fell for Ruthless being PD, as its had many inferior DVD editions for sale and even an Amazon stream by one of those labels

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
EddieLarkin said:
The Internet Archive hosts many of the shorts that will appear in Olive's upcoming collection, under the pretense that they are PD.

The thing I don't get is why not do new scans for and release the PD stuff as well? Presumably it's due to concerns over the unofficial competition, right? But surely they realise they are going to get the same competition whether or not their collection is non-PD only anyway? A lot of the 49 shorts they will release are available freely on the net (again, under the pretense that viewing them is legal), and in previous DVD sets.

Do you have any information regarding what led Olive to come to this decision? Do they not see the advantages of a complete set? Or is it down to whoever owns the elements not playing ball?

Anyway, although I'm very disappointed to hear that the collection will be far from complete, I am very happy to see Minnie the Moocher included in your listing.
I'm not sure if you guys know how much these cost - they're spending loads of money to release them. To spend the same amount or more for the PD versions does not make any sense, especially when they'll be competing with $5 versions. They would've done it if it was only 5 or 6 to complete the set, but the PD list is almost as large if not larger than the non-PD version. They released all 8 (John Wayne Three Mesquiteers) films to complete the set and did not skip the PD one. But they did skip most of the other JW PD titles, except for ANGEL AND THE BADMAN which is a classic.

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
Please don't get me wrong, I am incredibly excited to get any Betty Boop shorts in what will hopefully prove to be spectacular looking quality. I appreciate Olive being around to make this happen, but I fail to understand their reasoning. They are seriously worried about competition?

I am, in a nutshell, their ideal customer for this release. No other Olive release comes close in terms of anticipation and excitement. I have been a Golden Age animation fan for years and will snap these discs up. I have a very large Golden Age animation collection on DVD and Blu-ray. But is Betty Boop part of it? No she is not. I have no interest in owning "unofficial" collections of her shorts, most of which is likely bootleg quality. I am interested in buying those PD shorts from Olive, and I can't be the only one. Hopefully if the non-PD sets sell well, Olive will reconsider.

Like Criterion and their releases of films like THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH, a film which is available in a hundred different editions on Amazon, Olive would be the ones to get my cash, not the bootleggers. Like Criterion, it would be great if Olive had a little more faith in their customers.

edit: and as I said earlier, the competition is there anyway, PD or non-PD. A lot of the upcoming Olive shorts are available in the $5 sets. Illegally? Apparently so. But what difference does that make to the 15 year old girl buying them because she saw some Betty Boop memorabilia in a window shop? Is that audience the one Olive really wants to tap, instead of the animation fans?

Ken_Martinez

BANNED
Real Name
Ken
MisterLime said:
These animation people have consulted for other big studios, such as Warner Bros., Universal, Disney and Sony. They're the reason why those studios' animation releases have been so lauded. They shouldn't be so easily dismissed.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
In the case of the PD Boops, it does make sense that they are passing them up considering how many of them there are and the financial risk of the remastered PD titles not doing as well due to the multiple dollar bin editions. Though it doesn't stop me from vainly hoping they reconsider :) (perhaps only release blu-ray editions?)
EddieLarkin said:
Like Criterion and their releases of films like THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH, a film which is available in a hundred different editions on Amazon, Olive would be the ones to get my cash, not the bootleggers. Like Criterion, it would be great if Olive had a little more faith in their customers.
Well, first of all that one is a classic, and second of all it's not PD. Also, it was restored by BFI. Not quite the same thing.

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
JoHud said:
and second of all it's not PD.
As long as scores of bootleggers believe it is, and flood the market with their sub standard product, what difference does it make? It's just the same as the Betty Boop situation. But if you want actual PD stuff they've put out, consider CARNIVAL OF SOULS and CHARADE. Once again, my cash went to Criterion. I've never owned another version of those films. Criterion's faith in me as a consumer who values quality was rewarded.

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
EddieLarkin said:
Please don't get me wrong, I am incredibly excited to get any Betty Boop shorts in what will hopefully prove to be spectacular looking quality. I appreciate Olive being around to make this happen, but I fail to understand their reasoning. They are seriously worried about competition?

I am, in a nutshell, their ideal customer for this release. No other Olive release comes close in terms of anticipation and excitement. I have been a Golden Age animation fan for years and will snap these discs up. I have a very large Golden Age animation collection on DVD and Blu-ray. But is Betty Boop part of it? No she is not. I have no interest in owning "unofficial" collections of her shorts, most of which is likely bootleg quality. I am interested in buying those PD shorts from Olive, and I can't be the only one. Hopefully if the non-PD sets sell well, Olive will reconsider.

edit: and as I said earlier, the competition is there anyway, PD or non-PD. A lot of the upcoming Olive shorts are available in the $5 sets. Illegally? Apparently so. But what difference does that make to the 15 year old girl buying them because she saw some Betty Boop memorabilia in a window shop? Is that audience the one Olive really wants to tap, instead of the animation fans?
There's no doubt, that hardcore fans will buy the Olive version. But we're dealing with very large sums of money when it comes to re-mastering these shorts and they're not doing that just to satisfy a few hundred - they wouldn't be around for too long if they did. Also, they've released HD versions PD titles like CYRANO DE BERGERAC, McLINTOCK, FRONTIER HORIZON and the upcoming ANGEL AND THE BADMAN and PENNY SERENADE, but all of those made sense. Four are classics and the third completed the "Three Mesquiteers" collection. I think they would've done it if it was only 10% were PD, but not when 50% or more are PD.

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Ken_Martinez said:
These animation people have consulted for other big studios, such as Warner Bros., Universal, Disney and Sony. They're the reason why those studios' animation releases have been so lauded. They shouldn't be so easily dismissed.
Thanks, but I think they will go with the info provided to them by the legal departments of these huge studios.

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
EddieLarkin said:
As long as scores of bootleggers believe it is, and flood the market with their sub standard product, what difference does it make? It's just the same as the Betty Boop situation. But if you want actual PD stuff they've put out, consider CARNIVAL OF SOULS and CHARADE. Once again, my cash went to Criterion. I've never owned another version of those films. Criterion's faith in me as a consumer who values quality was rewarded.
Again, Olive has also released beautiful HD versions of some PD titles - But that's not what we're talking about here.

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
MisterLime said:
Again, Olive has also released beautiful HD versions of some PD titles - But that's not what we're talking about here.
Yes, I see that now. I had no idea a film like PENNY SERENADE was so readily available in a hundred different editions. Olive deserve recognition for putting PD films out on Blu-ray. But it only makes me more confused. Do, say, 1930s B-westerns (even Wayne ones) really sell better than Golden Age animation?

Ken_Martinez

BANNED
Real Name
Ken
There are tons of copyrighted shorts not on Olive's list. Where's BARNACLE BILL? Where's MYSTERIOUS MOSE? where are a bunch of others?

Y'know, Olive dismisses experts quite a bit, and it would behoove them to get these guys involved.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
It's great this kind of attention is being given to BB, but it's unfortunate Olive has decided to play it safe with the copyrighted films only. While doing twice the number of films may sound risky, fans have proven they know real collections when they see them (i.e. Popeye). Logic should conclude that such a base is the target for this kind of effort (and advertising), and that they will recognize the value in what promises to be a dramatic upgrade. General consumers should be the presumed wild card here, not the collector.

While pleased at the focus, my inclination is to skip a collection only half-done.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
tv.fan said:
people would but the PD ones from OLIVE - IF they rtestired them just because the super quality !!! so OLIVE is SCREWING pwople who want a complete in order restored collection --- +++ releasing 4 blu-rays with 12 or so caartoons on each disc is a HUGE WASTE when all 49 would fit on 1 50 gb disc ++ not to mention they would only need 1 glass master and not 4 - thereby saving a ton of money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think that's a little harsh, Olive made a business decision now consumers have to make theirs, whether to buy this collection or not. Sometimes, you just can't get everything you want, but Olive has done more good than not for the classic film lover. The list is long on titles I never thought would be released on BD, but Olive did release them which I'm grateful for.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
MisterLime, setting controversies aside, please know that your participation on HTF is appreciated by everyone. This is the topic many of us go to first, to learn what's coming from Olive Films, the company that digs deeper into the back catalog than any other. If it were not for Olive, many of these films would remain inaccessible to consumers. Do continue to keep us informed about forthcoming releases. Personally, I plan my spending budget in part on your announcements here.

MisterLime said:
Olive Films - July Release

NEWLY REMASTERED IN HD FROM 4K SCANS OF THE ORIGINAL NEGATIVES & FINEGRAINS
BETTY BOOP: THE ESSENTIAL COLLECTION VOLUME 1 (1932-1937)

Volume One:
CHESS NUTS (1932)
BETTY BOOP, M.D. (1932)
BETTY BOOP’S BAMBOO ISLE (1932)
BETTY BOOP FOR PRESIDENT (1932)
BETTY BOOP’S PENTHOUSE (1933)
BETTY BOOP’S BIRTHDAY PARTY (1933)
BETTY BOOP’S MAY PARTY (1933)
BETTY BOOP’S HALLOWE’EN PARTY (1933)
BETTY BOOP’S RISE TO FAME (1934)
BETTY BOOP’S TRIAL (1934)
BETTY BOOP’S LIFE GUARD (1934)
THE FOXY HUNTER (1937)

1932-1937 | B&W | 84 Minutes | Not Rated | 1.37:1 Aspect Ratio
MisterLime said:
None of these are public domain. If anyone has released any of these shorts, they've done it illegally and those releases should be considered bootlegs and will be removed. The complete collection will be 49 shorts.

Here are the rest of them. And none of these are Public Domain. They skipped all the PD ones.

Be Up To Date | Betty Boop Limited | Betty Boops Big Boss | Betty Boops Bizzy Bee | Betty Boops Little Pal | Betty Boops Museum | Betty Boops Prize Show | Betty Boops Ups And Downs | Boop Oop A Doop | Bimbos Initiation | Dizzy Dishes | Ha Ha Ha | I Heard | I'll Be Glad When You're Dead, You Rascal You | Minnie The Moocher-Betty Boop | Morning, Noon And Night | Mother Goose Land | New Deal Show | The Old Man Of The Mountains | Out Of The Inkwell | Parade Of The Wooden Soldiers | Poor Cinderella | Pudgy In Thrills And Chills | Pudgy The Watchman | Red Hot Mama | Riding The Rails | Sally Swing | Services With A Smile | She Wronged Him Right | Snow White | Stop That Noise | Stopping The Show | Swing School | There's Something About a Soldier | When My Ship Comes In | You Keep In Style | Zula Hula
I never thought I'd see 4K scans from the original negatives and fine grains This is a major event in home video. Animation enthusiasts will be ecstatic. Even those who wish for a more comprehensive collection will buy these discs for the upgrade in quality. I know I will.

Ken_Martinez

BANNED
Real Name
Ken
i think Olive might've been the wrong choice for handling these shorts, sad to say. I mean, it's great that they're actually doing something, but putting together an anthology of animated shorts is completely different and much harder than putting together one film.

It's a case where dismissing and maligning the credentials of archivists who have been working with these and other cartoons for decades will simply be detrimental to the end product, as seen here.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I thought this was a thread to follow the announcements about Olive releases.

I am ashamed that the HTF admins have allowed it to turn into a out and out bashing of the company and MisterLime.

I know that people are allowed to express their opinions, but over the past few days its just been attack, attack, attack. Even people who are connected to HTF have jumped on the negative and very directed attacks.

It just saddens me.

This isn't what I thought HTF was about.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
David Weicker said:
I thought this was a thread to follow the announcements about Olive releases.

I am ashamed that the HTF admins have allowed it to turn into a out and out bashing of the company and MisterLime.

I know that people are allowed to express their opinions, but over the past few days its just been attack, attack, attack. Even people who are connected to HTF have jumped on the negative and very directed attacks.

It just saddens me.

This isn't what I thought HTF was about.
I have to agree with you here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks