What's new

Olive Films Blu-ray Release and Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
ahollis said:
So McClintock is not from Paramount? Is this a PD version? Not sure I want this
I'm starting to get concern about all of these titles suddenly being released especially with these delays as Amazon is unable to give me any type of updates as to when I get those titles I preordered back in January.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
The Blu-ray.com review gave the transfer pretty high marks, calling it "one of the more lustrously saturated and beautiful looking color offerings we've seen from Olive". Also, I stupidly missed the scroll bar on their "restorations" tab and got more info on their McLintock transfer, available here.
By 2007 Ignite had restored another 7 films, all in the HD realm - specifically a full Technicolor™ restoration of the John Wayne Classic “McLintock” as well as their illustrious Otto Preminger package of 6 films.
It also looks like Ignite Films has gotten assistance from both UCLA and Paramount for their HD restorations. I'd say they're pretty safe.

Further highlighting my lack of attention to detail, the "Restorations" page also lists flash-generated splash pages on their Preminger holdings. They include

Advise and Consent
The Moon is Blue
Saint Joan
The Man With the Golden Arm
The Human Factor
The Cardinal

Each one has lengthy details on the film, print quality, and restoration work done to them. Surprisingly, none of these HD restorations has not made it to blu-ray, though I think WB may have used some of their prints for DVD transfers.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Robert Crawford said:
I'm starting to get concern about all of these titles suddenly being released especially with these delays as Amazon is unable to give me any type of updates as to when I get those titles I preordered back in January.
According to a source on the bluray.com message boards, the recent issues are the fault of the manufacturer and not Olive. Note that Twilight Time also has had a delay for At Long Last Love due to a manufacturer issue. To me, that sounds like a manufacturing service that handles these smaller-run titles for smaller labels has had recent hiccups.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Brandon Conway said:
According to a source on the bluray.com message boards, the recent issues are the fault of the manufacturer and not Olive. Note that Twilight Time also has had a delay for At Long Last Love due to a manufacturer issue. To me, that sounds like a manufacturing service that handles these smaller-run titles for smaller labels has had recent hiccups.
As I alluded to in a prior post, I have little doubt it's a manufacturing problem as the number of Olive releases per month have increased dramatically over time.

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Ignite has worked with UCLA and Paramount to create HD masters for many of the titles that were released by Olive and other studios. They were the European and Canadian right holders for some of the titles that has already released, like Macbeth, Dark Mirror, Force of Evil, etc.

Olive acquired the HD restored version of McLintock! from Ignite and also have acquired 2 Anthony Mann titles (God's Little Acre / Men in War) and the Joseph H. Lewis masterpiece THE BIG COMBO from them. All of these will be released on DVD and BLU-RAY sometime in 2013.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
MisterLime said:
Olive acquired the HD restored version of McLintock! from Ignite and also have acquired 2 Anthony Mann titles (God's Little Acre / Men in War) and the Joseph H. Lewis masterpiece THE BIG COMBO from them. All of these will be released on DVD and BLU-RAY sometime in 2013.
Awesome. Those two Mann films are among the most neglected in his resume, having separate independent ownership and thusly slipping through the cracks over the years. Men in War had one passable DVD effort, and while The Big Combo and God's Little Acre got decent enough DVDs through Image, they were far from definitive. Ignite's HD alternatives should be a massive improvement.

Ignite Films was previously known as "TV Matters," and I actually own a DVD of Men in War that was licensed by them to the now-defunct DVD distributor Geneon Entertainment. The DVD gives a pretty good idea what their library looked like before they started their HD restorations and why I'm only interested in seeing the films they have remastered in HD.

Hopefully, Olive decides to pick up more titles from Ignite, including that Triffids restoration.

John Hodson said:
McLintock! was restored for Ignite by TLEFilms of Germany (they've done a lot of good work, including restoring M, Leone's Dollars films and the Preminger films mentioned above)
Thanks for that update, and it certainly looks like they did an actual restoration of the film. By that token, it should look better than most Olive releases. Some good detailed info on the restoration work as well.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I thought I'll resurrect this thread since Olive's output of BD releases has increased so much this year. The titles in bold either have been released or have a release date announced. Let me know if I miss any title(s).

Ambush at Cimarron Pass (1958) Jodie Copelan Scott Brady, Clint Eastwood, Margie DeanAmericano, The (1955) William Castle Glenn Ford, Frank Lovejoy, Cesar RomeroAngel and the Badman (1947) James Edward Grant John Wayne, Gail Russell, Harry Carey, Bruce CabotArch of Triumph (1948) Lewis Milestone Ingrid Bergman, Charles Boyer, Charles Laughton, Louis CalhernArmored Attack (1943) aka The North Star Lewis Milestone Anne Baxter, Dana Andrews, Farley GrangerAtomic Kid, The (1954) Leslie H. Martinson Mickey Rooney, Robert StraussBamboo Saucer, The (1968) Frank Telford Dan Duryea, James HongBang! Bang! You're Dead! (1966) Don Sharp Tony Randall, Senta Berger, Terry-Thomas, Herbert Lom, Klaus KinskiBells of St. Mary, The (1945) Leo McCarey Bing Crosby, Ingrid BergmanBeware, My Lovely (1952) Harry Horner Ida Lupino, Robert RyanBlood on the Sun (1945) Frank Lloyd James Cagney, Sylvia SidneyBlowing Wild (1953) Hugo Fregonese Gary Cooper, Barbara Stanwyck, Anthony Quinn, Ward BondBreakthrough (1979) Andrew V. McLaglen Richard Burton, Rod Steiger, Robert MitchumBullfighter and the Lady, The (1951) Budd Boetticher Robert Stack, Joy Page, Gilbert Roland, Katy JuradoCadence (1990) Martin Sheen Charlie Sheen, Martin Sheen, Larry FishburneCaught (1949) Max Ophuls James Mason, Barbara Bel Geddes, Robert RyanCauldron of Blood (1970) AKA Blind Man's Bluff Santos Alcocer Jean-Pierre Aumont, Boris Karloff, Viveca LindforsChampion (1949) Mark Robson Kirk Douglas, Marilyn Maxwell, Arthur Kennedy, Paul StewartChina Gate (1957) Samuel Fuller Gene Barry, Angie Dickenson, Nat King Cole, Lee Van CleefCity That Never Sleeps (1953) John H. Auer Gig Young, Mala Powers, Chill WillsCloak and Dagger (1946) Fritz Lang Gary Cooper, Lilli Palmer, Robert AldaCopacabana (1947) Alfred E. Green Groucho Marx, Carmen MirandaCourt-Martial of Billy Mitchell, The (1955) Otto Preminger Gary Cooper, Rod SteigerCrashout (1955) Lewis R. Foster William Bendix, Arthur Kennedy, Gene EvansCry Danger (1951) Robert Parrish Dick Powell, Rhonda FlemingCry Vengeance (1954) Mark Stevens Mark StevensCujo (1983) Lewis Teague Dee Wallace, Danny PintauroDakota (1945) Joseph Kane John Wayne, Vera Ralston, Walter Brennan, Ward Bond, Mike MazurkiDark Command (1940) Raoul Walsh John Wayne, Claire Trevor, Roy Rogers, Walter PidgeonDevil and Miss Jones, The (1941) Sam Wood Jean Arthur, Robert Cummings, Charles Coburn, Edmund GwennDiary of a Chambermaid (1946) Jean Renoir Paulette Goddard, Burgess Meredith, Judith AndersonDistant Drums (1951) Raoul Walsh Gary Cooper, Mari AldonDr. Terror's House of Horrors (1965) Freddie Francis Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing, Michael GoughEnforcer, The (1951) Bretaigne Windust Humphrey Bogart, Zero MostelFather Goose (1964) Ralph Nelson Cary Grant, Leslie CaronFighter Attack (1953) Lesley Selander Sterling Hayden, J. Carrol Naish, Joy PageFighting Kentuckian, The (1949) George Waggner John Wayne, Vera Ralston, Oliver Hardy, Philip DornFighting Seabees, The (1944) Edward Ludwig John Wayne, Susan HaywardFire Maidens of Outer Space (1956) Cy Roth Anthony Dexter, Susan ShawFlame of Barbary Coast (1945) Joseph Kane John Wayne, Ann Dvorak, Virginia Grey, Paul FixFlat Top (1952) Lesley Selander Sterling Hayden, Richard CarlsonFlying Tigers (1942) David Miller John Wayne, John CarrollFrontier Horizon (1939) AKA New Frontier George Sherman John Wayne, Ray Corrigan, Rymond Hatton, Jennifer JonesGirl Who Knew Too Much, The (1969) Francis D. Lyon Adam West, Nancy Kwan, Robert AldaGood Sam (1948) Leo McCarey Gary Cooper, Ann SheridanGrass is Greener, The (1960) Stanley Donen Cary Grant, Deborah Kerr, Robert Mitchum, Jean SimmonsGuest Wife (1945) Sam Wood Claudette Colbert, Don AmecheHanger 18 (1980) James L. Conway Darren McGavin, Robert Vaughn, Gary Collins, Joseph Campanella, Pamela BellwoodHell's Half Acre (1954) John H. Auer Wendell Corey, Evelyn Keyes, Elsa Lanchester, Marie WindsorHigh School Confidential (1958) Jack Arnold Russ Tamblyn, Jan SterlingHighlander II (1991) Both Versions Russell Mulcahy Christopher Lambert, Sean Connery, Virginia Madsen, Michael IronsideHome of the Brave (1949) Mark Robson Jeff Corey, James Edwards, Lloyd Bridges, Frank LovejoyHoodlum Empire (1952) Joseph Kane Brian Donlevy, Claire Trevor, Forrest Tucker, Gene LockhartI've Always Loved You (1946) Frank Borzage Philip Dorn, Catherine McLeodIn Old California (1942) William C. McGann John Wayne, Binnie Barnes, Albert DekkerIndiscreet (1958) Stanley Donen Cary Grant, Ingrid BergmanIronweed (1987) Hector Babenco Jack Nicholson, Meryl StreepIrreconcilable Differences (1984) Charles Shyer Ryan O'Neal, Shelley Long, Drew BarrymoreIt's in the Bag! (1945) Richard Wallace Fred Allen, Jack BennyJohnny Come Lately (1943) William K. Howard James Cagney, Grace GeorgeJulius Caesar (1970) Stuart Burge Charlton Heston, Jason RobardsKing of the Pecos (1936) Joseph Kane John Wayne, Muriel Evans, Cy KendallKiss Tomorrow Goodbye (1950) Gordon Douglas James Cagney, Barbara Payton, Ward BondLady For a Night (1942) Leigh Jason John Wayne, Joan BlondellLady From Louisiana (1941) Bernard Vorhaus John Wayne, One MunsonLady Takes a Chance, A (1943) William A. Seiter John Wayne, Jean Arthur, Charles Winninger, Phil SilversLast Command, The (1955) Frank Lloyd Sterling Hayden, Ernest BorgnineLawless Nineties, The (1936) Joseph Kane John Wayne, Ann Rutherford, Gabby HayesLife and Times of Grizzly Adams, The (1974) Richard Friedenberg Dan Haggerty, Don ShanksLive Nude Girls (1995) Julianna Lavin Dana Delany, Kim CattrallLonely Trail, The (1936) Joseph Kane John Wayne, Ann RutherfordLong Day's Journey Into Night (1962) Sidney Lumet Katharine Hepburn, Ralph Richardson, Jason Robards, Dean StockwellLost Moment, The (1947) Martin Gabel Robert Cummings, Susan HaywardLove Happy (1949) David Miller Marx Brothers, Marilyn MonroeMagic Christian, The (1969) Joseph McGrath Peter Sellers, Ringo StarrMagic Town (1947) William Wellman James Stewart, Jane WymanMagnificent Doll (1946) Frank Borzage Ginger Rogers, David Niven, Burgess MeredithMan Alone, A (1955) Ray Milland Ray Milland, Ward Bond, Raymond Burr, Lee Van Cleef, Alan Hale Jr.Man Betrayed, A (1941) aka Wheel of Fortune John H. Auer John Wayne, Frances Dee, Ward BondMarjorie Morningstar (1958) Irving Rapper Gene Kelly, Natalie Wood, Claire TrevorMen, The (1950) Fred Zinnemann Marlon Brando, Teresa Wright, Jack WebbMiracle of the Bells, The (1948) Irvin Pichel Fred MacMurray, Frank Sinatra, Alida ValliMonster Squad, The (1987) Fred Dekker Andre Gower, Tom NoonanMr. Peabody and the Mermaid (1948) Irvin Pichel William Powell, Ann BlythNew Frontier, The (1935) George Sherman John Wayne, Ray Corrigan, Raymond Hatton, Jennifer JonesNight of the Demons 2 (1994) Brian Trenchard-Smith Cristi Harris, Darin HeamesNight of the Scarecrow (1995) Jeff Burr Elizabeth Barondes, John MeseOne of Our Aircraft is Missing (1942) Michael Powell, Emeric Pressburger Godfrey Tearle, Eric PortmanOne Touch of Venus (1948) William A. Seiter Robert Walker, Ava GardnerOnly the Valiant (1951) Gordon Douglas Gregory Peck, Barbara Payton, Ward Bond, Gig YoungOperation Petticoat (1959) Blake Edwards Cary Grant, Tony CurtisOregon Trail (1936) Scott Pembroke John Wayne, Ann RutherfordOther Love, The (1947) Andre De Toth Barbara Stanwyck, David Niven, Richard Conte, Gilbert RolandOutrage (1950) Ida Lupino Mala Powers, Tod AndrewsPals of the Saddle (1938) George Sherman John Wayne, Ray Corrigan, Max TerhunePawnbroker, The (1964) Sidney Lumet Rod Steiger, Geraldine FitzgeraldPenny Serenade (1941) George Stevens Cary Grant, Irene Dunne, Beulah BondiPlunder Road (1957) Hubert Cornfield Gene Raymond, Jeanne Cooper, Elisha Cook Jr.Quiet Man, The (1952) John Ford John Wayne, Maureen O'HaraRamrod (1947) Andre De Toth Joel McCrea, Veronica Lake, Don DeFore, Donald Crisp, Lloyd BridgesRed Menace, The (1949) R.G. Springsteen Robert Rockwell, Hannelore AxmanRed Pony, The (1949) Lewis Milestone Myrna Loy, Robert MitchumRetreat, Hell! (1952) Joseph H. Lewis Frank Lovejoy, Richard Carlson, Anita Louise, Russ TamblynReuben, Reuben (1983) Robert Ellis Miller Tom Conti, Kelly McGillis, Roberts BlossomRunning Man, The (1987) Paul Michael Glaser Arnold Schwarzenegger, Yaphet KottoRuthless (1948) Edgar G. Ulmer Zachary Scott, Sidney GreenstreetSands of Iwo Jima (1949) Allan Dwan John Wayne, John AgarSanta Fe Stampede (1938) George Sherman John Wayne, Ray Corrigan, Max TerhuneShack Out on 101 (1955) Edward Dein Terry Moore, Lee Marvin, Frank Lovejoy, Keenan WynnShark! (1969) Samuel Fuller Burt Reynolds, Arthur KennedyShe Devil (1957) Kurt Neumann Mari Blanchard, Jack Kelly, Albert DekkerShowdown at Boothill (1958) Gene Fowler Jr. Charles Bronson, Robert Hutton, John CarradineSleep My Love (1948) Douglas Sirk Claudette Colbert, Don Ameche, Robert CummingsSo This is New York (1948) Richard Fleischer Henry Morgan, Rudy Vallee, Bill GoodwinSouth of St. Louis (1949) Ray Enright Joel McCrea, Alexis Smith, Zachary Scott, Dorothy MaloneStranger on the Prowl (1952) Joseph Losey Paul Muni, Joan LorringStrangers in the Night (1944) Anthony Mann William Terry, Virginia GreySun Shines Bright, The (1953) John Ford Charles Winninger, Arleen Whelan, John RussellTam Lin (1970) aka The Devil's Widow & The Ballad of Tam Lin Roddy McDowall Ava Gardner, Ian McShane, Stephanie BeachamThat Cold Day in the Park (1969) Robert Altman Sandy Dennis, Michael BurnsThat Touch of Mink (1962) Delbert Mann Cary Grant, Doris Day, Gig YoungThat's My Man (1947) Frank Borzage Don Ameche, Catherine McLeodThree Faces West (1940) Bernard Vorhaus John Wayne, Charles CoburnTicks (1993) aka Infested Tony Randel Rosalind Allen, Ami Dolenz, Seth Green, Peter Scolari, Clint Howard, Rance HowardTrust (1990) (11/4/15) Hal Hartley Adrienne Shelly, Martin Donovan, Edie FalcoTry and Get Me (1950) aka The Sound of Fury Cy Endfield Frank Lovejoy, Kathleen Ryan, Richard Carlson, Lloyd BridgesWake of the Red Witch (1948) Edward Ludwig John Wayne, Gail RussellWar of the Wildcats (1943) aka In Old Oklahoma Albert S. Rogell John Wayne, Martha ScottWestward Ho (1935) Robert N. Bradbury John Wayne, Sheila Bromley, Frank McGlynn Jr.Witchboard 2 (1993) Kevin Tenney Ami Dolenz, Loraine NewmanWyoming Outlaw (1939) George Sherman John Wayne, Ray Corrigan, Raymond HattonYoung at Heart (1954) Gordon Douglas Doris Day, Frank Sinatra, Gig Young

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This week, I finally received the following March 26th release date titles. McLintock is still missing in action. I'll be watching China Gate and A Man Betrayed today.

China Gate
Ruthless
A Man Betrayed
The Devil and Miss Jones
The Sun Shines Bright
Hell's Half Acre

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Thanks Robert, for updating the original list of releases from Olive, and where we currently stand. I said it before, and I'll say it again...I'll eat my hat if Olive has their hands on a print on the 1936 film Oregon Trail. That one is lost and gone forever.

My March blurays were just shipped, so I'll have to wait a bit longer to enjoy them.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
The others will have to wait until next week for me, but I did get a chance to see The Devil and Miss Jones. I thought the transfer was quite pristine, but had a slight issue with the framing. Is this movie suppose to look so tight? I had the feeling much of the movie had a slight zoom to it with slightly cropped edges. However, it's possible the movie was suppose to look like that.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
So if I understand correctly from this thread, Olive has not licensed McLintock! from Paramount, but due to the film's public domain status, is putting it out on their own. That explains why the 5.1 remixed soundtrack was not ported over. So does that mean that the 2005 restoration done by Batjac/Paramount could not be used by Olive? And that what is on the new Blu-ray is a completely new restoration done by Ignite? Or are they one and the same?

Pete York

Supporting Actor
That Ignite page is interesting (their name was on the recent PENNY SERENADE showing on TCM, btw). They have a "High Definition restored version" of THE STORY OF GI JOE, which I would certainly encourage someone (Olive?) to release.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I thought the BD presentation for China Gate was very good while A Man Betrayed was okay as I was worried somewhat about that title with the opening credits looking poor.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Robert Crawford said:
My BD of McLintock shipped so I'll have it tomorrow for a viewing.
So, were you able to view it? If so, what are your thoughts?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Robert Crawford said:
My BD of McLintock shipped so I'll have it tomorrow for a viewing.
I started watching this BD yesterday and I'm about half way through it, but IMO, the video presentation so far, isn't as pleasing to my eyes as the HD broadcast of it on HDnet Movie channel a month or two ago.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I watched The Sun Shines Bright last night. This is an excellent BRD and I've never seen the film look so good before. Diligent members of the P. C. brigade may wish to avoid this movie but I love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks