What's new

Olive Films August 2017 Releases (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
The Stranger (Orson Welles), Aug 29th

184417_medium.jpg

Hell Up in Harlem, Aug 29th

184422_medium.jpg

The Wedding Banquet, August 29th

184423_medium.jpg

Flipper Season 1 and 2, August 29th

184475_medium.jpg

184474_medium.jpg

J. Casey

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Hopefully, this will be the MGM/UA source for THE STRANGER. If so, it should be spectacular! Can't get too much of Fred and Pam with HELL UP IN HARLEM. WEDDING BANQUET is a feast. Thanks for this!

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
Hopefully, this will be the MGM/UA source for THE STRANGER. Thanks for this!

I wish Olive would make some noise about The Stranger
If they do use MGM source then I'm buying.
Otherwise I'll live with the blu-ray that I already own

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I'm in for Hell Up In Harlem. Olive previously released Black Caesar a couple of years ago, so I'm glad they're finally getting around to the sequel. Too bad it will likely be bare-bones, since a Larry Cohen commentary or interview would be nice; but I'll still be glad to purchase this.

While I'm not getting the Flipper series, I do think it's sad that, based on the images above, Olive is using the same cover art for both seasons. Is it really too much trouble for them to make each season's cover unique (beyond the slight change in color)? Rhetorical question; since it's Olive, I already know the answer.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
whoa... Flipper.. 1,2,3.. please. :)
They don't currently have season 3. Season 3 has never been remastered even for DVD so its doubtful that Olive would spend the kind of money necessary for new HD masters. Chances are these 2 seasons are just using the DVD masters.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Chances are these 2 seasons are just using the DVD masters.

The original Season 1 MGM release of Flipper was on flipper discs, however the quality of the prints was absolutely gorgeous. Season 2 was released on DVD-R and the quality slipped a bit, but was still very good. I'll buy Season 1 again for sure, just to get rid of those damn flippers, but I may hold off on Season 2 until I see some reviews.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
It's nice to see The Stranger already on blu-ray but how about The Magnificent Ambersons?

It is surprising as I saw what was listed as an HD version of "The Magnificent Ambersons" on TCM several months ago. As always, it would look much better on Blu-ray.

Has anyone heard if Olive's upcoming Blu-ray of "The Stranger" is from the MGM elements?
If it is not, I can only ask "why bother?"

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
They don't currently have season 3. Season 3 has never been remastered even for DVD so its doubtful that Olive would spend the kind of money necessary for new HD masters. Chances are these 2 seasons are just using the DVD masters.
Hulu had (has?) Season 3. And they actually looked very good.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I would think if Olive got the MGM print of The Stranger wouldn't they make it a Signature title? Makes me think since this isn't just a standard BLU edition it may be on par with perhaps the KINO transfer?

Unless maybe it is an MGM transfer but they don't think it is as pristine enough to warrant a Signature edition.

Would be nice to have a great commentary included on it.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I'm in for Hell Up In Harlem. Olive previously released Black Caesar a couple of years ago, so I'm glad they're finally getting around to the sequel. Too bad it will likely be bare-bones, since a Larry Cohen commentary or interview would be nice; but I'll still be glad to purchase this.

I've just read Ron's newly posted press release thread for Olive's August titles, and it turns out this release will include a Larry Cohen commentary. I'm glad to be wrong in my earlier prediction. (To be fair, of the Olive BDs I own none have commentary tracks. So I wasn't expecting one here either.)

Christopher McG

Stunt Coordinator
I would think if Olive got the MGM print of The Stranger wouldn't they make it a Signature title? Makes me think since this isn't just a standard BLU edition it may be on par with perhaps the KINO transfer?

Unless maybe it is an MGM transfer but they don't think it is as pristine enough to warrant a Signature edition.

Would be nice to have a great commentary included on it.

Olive Films replied to a comment today on its Facebook page: "Our DVD and Blu-ray will feature an Olive Films restoration based on an MGM source."

According to Olive's press release, the disc has a commentary track by Nora Fiore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks