1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

OLED Black Friday Deals?

Discussion in 'Bargains and Deals' started by Adam Lenhardt, Nov 7, 2019.

1. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    I looked it up and there's also an 8 lb difference in weight, so there's clearly heftier construction on the C9. How much $ that's worth is debatable, I suppose.

2. Message #42 of 84 Nov 17, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    David Norman

David Norman Producer

I'm seeing identical wts for the B9/C9 at the same diagonal size except for the stand. It still seems a bit odd that the stand on the 55In C9 vs B9 is 10lb vs 2lb. and even harder to believe the 65in is nearly 17lb different since I don't see a speaker built in or something that substantial

3. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Is that with the base? If so then it’s because of the heavier C9 base.

4. David Norman

David Norman Producer

I just noticed a nice bohus with a year free bonus Disney+ being available for many of the LG OLED set.

I can't find the exact terms, but it seems to be similar to th Verizon offer so I'm assuming it will add to those who bought 2 or 3 years up front.

5. JohnRice

John
    You're right. It's a difference in the weight of the stand. Weird that there would be such a significant difference.

6. Robert Crawford

Robert
    While researching my C9 purchase, I knew the stand got beef up from the prior year’s model.

7. JohnRice

John
    What prompted you to choose the C9 over the B9?

8. Robert Crawford

Robert
    I didn’t want to “what if myself” just to save some money especially knowing the C9 had a better processor and it looked better cosmetically than the B9.

Adam Lenhardt likes this.
  9. ScottJH

ScottJH Supporting Actor

Scott
    https://lg-promos.com/us/en/pages/disney/home

Sam Posten and Adam Lenhardt like this.
  10. ScottJH

ScottJH Supporting Actor

Scott
    Starting with the 8 series the processors were also different.

Sam Posten likes this.
  11. JohnRice

John
    I was thinking the same thing. Then *someone* in this thread had me questioning that logic. <_<

12. Robert Crawford

Robert
    John,

I watched a couple of Youtube videos that compared the two displays and based on what they said and my own personal philosophy that my old man passed on to me ( If you can afford it then buy what you want as you never want to think about "What if?") Now, he gave me that advice about something else that I can't remember, probably a car, but, it was sound advice that I've followed as somebody that's been into HT equipment for 35 years.

13. David Norman

David Norman Producer

The only thing worrisome is it says NEW ACCOUNTS ONLY so maybe not quite like Verizon's offer. In reality it's only really worth $70 for a 1200-2500 TV, but it would still be nice to have an additional 12 months on top of the 36

14. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Here is a review of the LG 65B9PUA 65" with a link to the their LG 65C9PUA 65".

ManW_TheUncool likes this.
  15. Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby Cinematographer

Keith Cobby
    OLED is the successor to plasma and the best you can get (whatever anyone else says). My Panny plasma, bought in 2010, died this year (after being used for gaming by my son). I bought 65 and 55 inch Panny OLEDs and they are just superb, and much cooler than the plasma!

Robert Crawford likes this.
  16. Robert Crawford

Robert
    My LG OLED puts my Panny VT plasma to shame.

Sam Posten likes this.
  17. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Picked up my LG C9 OLED TV this afternoon, and just finished setting it up.

The picture quality is incredible. Blacks that are pitch black, whites that are pure white, and the full range of tints and colors in between. HD over the air content is a big step up, but the first UHD disc I put in my Panasonic DP-UB820 (Black Panther) was absolutely astounding. Better picture quality than when I saw it in theaters. And going from a 60htz TV to a variable frame rate TV, you can feel the difference between 3:2 pulldown and true 24fps.

I was instantly converted into a UHD true believer. Even though the discs looked pretty great on my old display, true 4K with HDR is a whole 'nother animal.

Here's a picture I took with my phone, which captures the how true the black levels are, but doesn't come close to doing the contrast or color fidelity justice:
    LG_C9_OLED_20191119.

My only complaint so far is that the remote works like a Wii remote; you wave it around and select things with the arrow. I was never great with the Wii remote, and I'm not great with this one either. I prefer using arrow keys.

The instructions for setting up the TV on the stand weren't great, either. Fortunately Digital Trends has a great YouTube video that walked me through it step by step.

This thing is incredibly thin but also incredibly heavy. Even without the stand, which is weighted itself, the TV weighs probably 3 or 4 times what the display it's replacing weighs.

18. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Congratulations!

I’m on regular LCD LED vs an OLED but even going from Plasma to UHD LED, I was blown away by how much better blacks have gotten in these most recent generations of sets. And I’ve seen a few of the 2016 LG OLEDs in action and it’s stunning. Space movies are great on these!

Adam Lenhardt likes this.
  19. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I know you did not direct that comment to me but I just wanted to say I love my Sony OLED! It was between the LG and the Sony OLED and LG makes a very nice OLED but I got the Sony! The XBR55A9F has an amazing picture! My local Best Buy had the OLED demo truck there last weekend.

IMG_2967a.

20. Bartman

Bartman Extra

Trevor Bartram
    Bestbuy had the 55" B8 for $1400 (in store only) last Superbowl, so I splurged. It replaced a late model Samsung plasma that had a particularly nice picture but had developed plasma sparkle. I had been tracking the price of OLEDs for five years and as, LG owns the market and high end LCDs are a similar price, I decided prices were not going to fall further, seems I was right. I compared a B8 & C8 side by side in store and could see no difference. Online reviews indicated the B8 was the better value. For the foreseeable future the TV will only be used with HD (not UHD) sources, I do not use the built-in streaming apps and most of the picture processing was turned off during initial setup, so the processor is under utilized. The B8 is definitely better than my plasma but when using HD sources the differences are not as great as others will lead you to believe. A proviso, my eyesight is now the major limitation, my ability to focus differs greatly between morning and night. If you are also in doubt, you may want to get your eyesight checked before making an expensive decision.
    The only niggle with the B8 was how to turn closed captions CC on & off during OTA reception. The manual is extremely brief, there is no CC button on the remote, I could find nothing online and LG customer service provided a clumsy method. It turns out pointing the Magic remote to the top left or right of the screen uncovers CC and other options.
    HTH, Trevor.