What's new

OLED Black Friday Deals? (1 Viewer)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Best Buy and target have posted Black Friday previews of their ads.

Target does carry some of the lg Oled TVs but not in any of my local stores.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Not to pour cold water on this anticipation but please please please keep in mind that the 2020 OLEDs are going to be supercharged with the next HDMI release. If you intend to buy a PS5 ot Xbox Scarlett it may be worth waiting.

The first sale is up tho, the Sony 77" is down to $4999. Contact @Robert_Zohn for details!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Not to pour cold water on this anticipation but please please please keep in mind that the 2020 OLEDs are going to be supercharged with the next HDMI release. If you intend to buy a PS5 ot Xbox Scarlett it may be worth waiting.
Alright Sam, video isn't my wheelhouse, so what's the deal with the next HDMI?

Nothing exciting that I'm seeing. No way I'm spending anywhere near $3K on a new TV. The LG 55" C9 is the most likely contender, but I'm not seeing any deals on it. It did recently go down in price significantly.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
So, unless you're gaming, it makes no difference. If you are gaming, well, it might eventually make a difference. -_-

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
No way I'm spending anywhere near $3K on a new TV. The LG 55" C9 is the most likely contender, but I'm not seeing any deals on it. It did recently go down in price significantly.
I feel the same way. I'd be very happy with a prior year model on sale, since I'm not going to pay a couple grand more for the brand new models. I was also looking at the LG 55" C9. Both Best Buy and Value Electronics have it for under $1,500 currently. Given the size of my apartment and my viewing distance from the TV, I wouldn't want to go bigger than 55 inches anyway.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Alright Sam, video isn't my wheelhouse, so what's the deal with the next HDMI?

Nothing exciting that I'm seeing. No way I'm spending anywhere near $3K on a new TV. The LG 55" C9 is the most likely contender, but I'm not seeing any deals on it. It did recently go down in price significantly.
That's the display I bought this summer, I doubt it goes down much lower.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That's the display I bought this summer, I doubt it goes down much lower.
How do you like it? I’ve been watching a plasma for about 12 years now, and I’m concerned about what can take it’s place.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
After my last round of TV shopping, I went from wanting a $3000 TV to deciding it would never be for me.

It seems manufacturing has changed and these things aren’t built to last. (Not news for many, I know.) My 2012 LG plasma died in 2018 and the repair cost was more than that of a new, larger screen.

I’d be willing to spend $3000 on a TV if it was meant to last ten years or more. But it now seems that the most you can safely plan to get out of one is five. So if a TV may now be a “rebuy every five years” proposition, my budget has to be less.

I came very close to spending $3000 for one of the last LG OLEDs that did 3D. Everyone raved about the set in both 2D and 3D modes. Most worked perfectly. But for the few people that had issues, when those issues cropped up, the company didn’t make 3D anymore and replaced the sets with 2D models. My point being, I feel like I dodged a bullet not breaking my bank over something the company isn’t standing fully behind.

That’s my lame brain non pro, non expert advice for anyone looking for a TV. Don’t spend more on one today than you could afford to spend for a purchase that will only last five years.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
How do you like it? I’ve been watching a plasma for about 12 years now, and I’m concerned about what can take it’s place.
It's my second LG OLED so obviously, I love the picture quality. My first LG OLED replaced my Panny VT "65 while this 55" model replaced my Panny GT 50" model. IMO, both OLED's surpassed those plasma displays.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
After my last round of TV shopping, I went from wanting a $3000 TV to deciding it would never be for me.

It seems manufacturing has changed and these things aren’t built to last. (Not news for many, I know.) My 2012 LG plasma died in 2018 and the repair cost was more than that of a new, larger screen.

I’d be willing to spend $3000 on a TV if it was meant to last ten years or more. But it now seems that the most you can safely plan to get out of one is five. So if a TV may now be a “rebuy every five years” proposition, my budget has to be less.

I came very close to spending $3000 for one of the last LG OLEDs that did 3D. Everyone raved about the set in both 2D and 3D modes. Most worked perfectly. But for the few people that had issues, when those issues cropped up, the company didn’t make 3D anymore and replaced the sets with 2D models. My point being, I feel like I dodged a bullet not breaking my bank over something the company isn’t standing fully behind.

That’s my lame brain non pro, non expert advice for anyone looking for a TV. Don’t spend more on one today than you could afford to spend for a purchase that will only last five years.
That's one way of looking at it. However, I'm so happy I bought that LG OLED model over TCL 6 Series because I would be second guessing myself forever. If you can afford it then it's best to buy the best you can fit in your budget.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Oh absolutely Robert.

What I’m just suggesting is that a TV may no longer be a smart “save for years to afford the very best” type of purchase for many, because if one goes that route, it may not last long enough to replenish those funds.

I just budget TVs now as 5 year investments rather than 10 year ones and spend what I could afford to replace if it goes in 5. I hope it lasts longer. But for me, if I spent the money on a set I wanted to last ten years and if it then went substantially earlier, I wouldn’t have been able to afford to replace it.

Absolutely buy the best set you can, my advice is just to think that it’s going to be closer to a five year investment than a ten year one and to spend accordingly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks