Oldies but goodies......

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by DonnyD, May 19, 2006.

1. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

I was just wondering who else around here is still using "oldies"..... meaning ht gear that has been around a while but is still kicking butt.I know mine is old..... but I always get a lot of comments about how it still rocks.
    I've had my receiver for 4 or 5 years now. Yamaha RX-V1..... it is still a monster. Last year I gave my old JBL L-100s to my son. My current speaker setup is comprised of Energy RVS, LCR and RVSS rears with some JBL Sat2 pulling up the double rear centers. My sub was downsized last year after my GF became ill and couldn't handle the vibrations and monster LFE..... I sold my beloved SVS PB2+ and now have a JBL 12" something which has surprising low end. My TV is an older 4:3 Toshiba 55" HD model that is just striking in its display......Aura shakers are in the couch......
    My system, driven by the monster RX-V1 still rocks on demand. No we don't quite watch movies as loud as we did a few years ago, but if I do want to, the Yammie will still pump it out.
    I like my old stuff..... one of my fun things to do is to browse around here at HTF and see what's going on and who has what. My sig has real meaning..... especially aabout "or go broke due to upgradeitis"....... I spent lots and lots of money on HT equipment over the years and had tons of fun doing it. Buying this and that but usually going back to my venerable old stuff.
    And it has become perfectly ok with me to have old stuff..... as long as it still rocks.

2. Shane Harg

Shane Harg Second Unit

Ah, heck yeah. For being "old," that receiver is still technologically up to date - EX/ES compatible, 6.1 capability, 110wpc. Dang fine reciever!

Before I sold everything and moved over here to Japan, I had a Mitsubishi 55805 RPTV. It was about the same model-year as your receiver - around 2000. It was HD compatible and it produced a stunningly fine picture right up until the day the guy I sold it to, hauled it off in June of last year. I probably would have kept that TV for at least a few more years, had I not made this overseas move.

3. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

bah... EX/ES compatibility hardly qualifies as "oldie" *lol*

although these days.... [​IMG]

someone with a Pro-Logic receiver (no DD?/DTS) should pipe in

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

In my office I'm running
    * Philips FR930 in stereo mode. GREAT stereo receiver with a good Phono stage - ancient prologic reciever circa 1992
    * Proscan PS8680Z as CD player for bought CDs and almost never a DVD. - A DIVX compatible machine, first generation DTS compatible DVD.
    * Pioneer CLD-M401 for burned CDs and LaserDisc. Combination LD player and 5 disc CD changer with optical out.
    * Sony MDS-JB920 MiniDisc deck (ATRAC 4) - often used as Analog-to-digital conversion for making CDs on my computer from analog sources.
    * Denon DP-7F turntable circa 1994
    * Sony RX606ES cassette deck for compatibility/conversion.
    * Wharfedale Modus 6.1 towers.

I bought the DTR-7 used just a few months ago, until then I was using the old Pioneer 606 in my main theater and the ProLogic receiver in full prologic glory in my bedroom.

A couple years ago I finally handed down my Toshiba SD2006 DVD player to my brother Ange for him to use in his bedroom. One of the first 5 DVD player models sold in the USA.

Old stuff sounds fine. I'm a bass player, my main amplifier is a 1967 Fender Bassman (Blackface). I don't buy into the latest and greatest audio gimmicks any more. I did once, to some extent, but I've always loved older stuff. I am completely happy with all my audio/video gear, I have absolutely no hint whatsoever of "upgraditis". Been there, done that. No more.

5. mylan

mylan Screenwriter

Ok, old, here goes.. I have a Yamaha 2092 circa 1998 that has DD but nothing else. It still sounds good but I am just now retiring it from HT duty to serve as the hub of my upstairs audio system to be replaced with a new Denon 3806. I cannot wait to hear DVD-audio and SACD as well as DTS.

6. Jon Carlson

Jon Carlson Extra

Another oldie, here. RX-V2095 Yamaha receiver. Still happy with it. I'm feeding the rear channels to an old pro-logic receiver for a faux 6.1 setup, actually 8.1 with the front effects channels.

7. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Hey, Jon....... yes the 2095 is a great receiver. That is the one I had until all the hype over 6.1/8.1 bit me. A friend of mine still has the 2095 and it is still rocking!!!!

8. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

this is the downside to a receiver isnt it... the amplification is still great, but its obsolete becasue of the number of channels, DSP processing or new formats and connectivity protocols.

9. Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton Ambassador

Jason Charlton
    I'll chime in... I'm still getting plenty of quality mileage out of my old Onkyo 828 receiver (probably got it back in 1997), though its days are numbered. It has an outboard DD 5.1 (no DTS) decoder and no component video support. The volume tends to jump around when using the remote, so fine-tuning the levels without getting up is an exercise in patience. The sound still rocks, though so in the end it's all worth it.

I've also got two of my original PSB Alphas as surround speakers - the little guys still work fine and actually blend pretty well with the upgraded speakers in the front.

10. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

I'm still using a Yamaha DSP-A1 in my main living room system. [​IMG] Most days it works fine, but it has "issues" with the DSP board, requiring the occasional quick off/on click.

Also in the living room are Infocus SP4800; 2 Sony VCRs (one SVHS, one SuperBeta), a CLD-99 laser disc player, 10 year old Sony CD mega-changer, Yamaha DVD-A/SACD player, OTA HDTV tuner, and the oldest piece of gear: a Mitsubishi linear tracking turntable. It's so cool that I have to keep it. [​IMG]

11. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

My first DD setup was an 828 and ED901. I should have never upgraded. I inserted a Millenium DTS decoder in between the ED901 and the 828 and it worked pretty good. As I wrote, I never should have upgraded, though if I had that today I'd be kind of hosed because it only had two DD inputs and I have three DD sources.

12. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

YES, I just knew there were some oldies but goodies still lurking around in the caverns.... still satisfying even the most discriminating taste.
    Talking about all this makes me want to go over to my son's and retrieve my 29 yr old JBL L100s that I had given him last year. He really was enjoying them until he and his wife had a son..... now the only entertainment in his house is my grandson!!!!! and he never gets to turn his system on!!!!! I am sure they need some leg stretching!!!!

13. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

Wow, I feel ancient my main theater uses a Technics Sh-Ac500d decoder (DD/DPL/DTS), RS 15-1987 (allows the VCR to be used as upconverts to Svideo and converts analog to pcm for the decoder) video switcher, three pro-audio amps (carver pm900, qsc 1450, and altec lansing 9444A/SA), and Optimus speakers all around (LX8 L/R front and rears, CS 5 center) except for the sub (currently two Dayton 15" DVCs in IB config with BFD). Don't use it as much as I used to but when friends come over most are amazed (even with those having "better" gear) because being single allows me to have the proper positioning and treatments to make everything work better. I hate to say it but I doubt I'll ever pump more money into the main theater other than a different monitor and processor later down the line I'm pretty content with the power and speakers for a theater presentation.

My computer is what I've been using a lot more listening currently to 5 nht superzeroes with Northcreek mods on the front lcr, RS LX5 center rears, and using a svs cs 25/31 for a sub. I've recently changed my amps (doing lcr and rear center duty currently) over to the sonic impact t-amps and enjoy high detailed lower listening db level theater. I like watching movies alone and prefer a studio like environment and will most likely in the future move my money this direction instead.

14. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

Aw come on now, most of that stuff ain't "old" [​IMG] My HT is (a lot!) newer but my 2 channel audio system is built around an Onkyo TX-108 receiver that I bought right after it appeared on the market, '88 or '89 I think. It and it's Onkyo cousins (CD player and cassette deck) are all just as functional now as they were then. I still prefer it for music listening and I've done a side-by-side with the Denon AVR from the HT just to see if there was any significant difference (there wasn't for 2 channel mode).

15. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Hey! I forgot to mention that my IB sub amp is an early 70s Crown DC-300A.

16. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

this reminds me of that thread sometime ago where someone claimed his CD player was >25 years old (in 2004?)

17. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Now, this is an "oldie, but goodie". [​IMG]

However, due to time constraints and lack of space to keep my 3 Sansui receivers stored, I've decided to put them up for sale.

[​IMG]

18. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

You guys are bumming me out with this "old" talk! [​IMG]

My Technics SA-DA8 receiver was bought new in the summer of 2001. The only thing it lacks that I wish it had was something like DPLII or Logic7 for the times some good simulated surround fits my mood. Otherwise, it does everything I need it to do. In a Sound & Vision test it's little brother, the SA-HE100, was able to operate six full-range speakers with a clean 70watts/channel for several minutes before it finally shut itself off. So the SA-DA8 gets plenty loud for me!

My Boston Acoustics CR9 speakers were new in 1998; Infinity SL-30s, 1994. Both sound as good as they did when new.

Panasonic VCR: bought new in 1997 and used almost every day for old sports tapes and MST3K episodes (with an average of 800 jokes per show, multiple viewings don't get old [​IMG] ); though the past two years it has started having some problems playing 6-hour mode tapes (lines in the picture; Hi-Fi sound drop outs). But for the $180 I paid, I think I definitely already got my money's worth so now its "bonus" time.

FYI: I just bought a near-mint vintage pair of Pioneer CS-99A speakers. They may be 33 years old but I think they sound excellent. Only the bass is a bit lacking for me: cramming that 15" woofer in such a tiny enclosure really clamps down on the low stuff, so certain movies & lots of my music lack some oomph. But the bass they do have is very precise and defined (same for the horn tweeter's output). Price for these 52lb old-skoolies? 20 bucks!!!

19. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    I still use my Yamaha DSP-A1. Every time I sit down to listen to a newer model I am reminded how good the A1 still sounds (and how, in terms of sheer power there are only a handful of current flagship models, nearly eight years on, that can best it).

I will upgrade when the newer higher resolution formats start appearing, but I've never been much of a fan of extra channels considering I sit dead-centre between the rear speakers.

There are a surprising number of Yamaha 3090/A1/X1/V1, Onkyo 939 and Denon A1/5700/4800s still in everyday use. All still great equipment, and built like tanks.

Adam

20. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

Adam, Have you ever had any problems with your DSP-A1? The DSP board in mine is slightly flakey, losing sound to some channels intermittently. I have had a "repairman" look at it but he couldn't fix it, and there is no authorized service center near me.

I'd love to have it fixed, properly.