oldest running theater in America?

DarrinH

Second Unit
Hey guys here's a story from my neck of the woods. Possibly the oldest running theater in America is just out the road from my home. Take a gander in our local paper.

http://www.dailymail.com/news/News/2001101931/
The EC
The Entertainment Cave
"Remember, if you can't be polite to our guest you have to sit at the kiddies table."
[Edited last by DarrinH on October 19, 2001 at 03:21 PM]

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Thanks Darrin...
I love to read about those old buildings. When I read the 1907 date I thought you might have a real contender, but 1926 seems like a more realistic claim for this theater. Even that is a good long run and I hope they find a way to continue. Many small towns use the old theater for, well, theatre.
My little town has an empty jewel of a movie house. It dates from 1929 and has that great Persian Palace look with a starry sky. It's now owned by the local conservation society and I climb up on the marque once a month to change the sign. We use it to promote other conservation society events.
The letters I use up there are 70 years old, copper painted green, 6 inches tall. They don't make 'em that way any more and you can't buy 'em either.

Jim

Jun-Dai Bates

Stunt Coordinator
The Castro celebrated their 75th anniversary a little while back. They played films from when it first opened, in 1922.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
els