What's new

oldest running theater in America? (1 Viewer)

DarrinH

Second Unit
Hey guys here's a story from my neck of the woods. Possibly the oldest running theater in America is just out the road from my home. Take a gander in our local paper.
Booth1019.jpg

http://www.dailymail.com/news/News/2001101931/
The EC
The Entertainment Cave
"Remember, if you can't be polite to our guest you have to sit at the kiddies table."
[Edited last by DarrinH on October 19, 2001 at 03:21 PM]

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Thanks Darrin...
I love to read about those old buildings. When I read the 1907 date I thought you might have a real contender, but 1926 seems like a more realistic claim for this theater. Even that is a good long run and I hope they find a way to continue. Many small towns use the old theater for, well, theatre.
My little town has an empty jewel of a movie house. It dates from 1929 and has that great Persian Palace look with a starry sky. It's now owned by the local conservation society and I climb up on the marque once a month to change the sign. We use it to promote other conservation society events.
The letters I use up there are 70 years old, copper painted green, 6 inches tall. They don't make 'em that way any more and you can't buy 'em either.
wink.gif

Jim

Jun-Dai Bates

Stunt Coordinator
The Castro celebrated their 75th anniversary a little while back. They played films from when it first opened, in 1922.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks