What's new

Older TV issue with "newer" DVD / VCR combo player (1 Viewer)

Curt Gilker

Agent
I have a 2003 Samsung DVD-V4600 DVD / VCR combo. This is connected to a Samsung TXJ2556, a 1999 TV with composite inputs. I know this is old tech, but I would like to get this working for the kid's playroom.

I have run the cable antenna from the wall, thru the DVD player, to the TV.

The rear of the DVD combo has a section for "DVD Only" (with Component outs, S-Video out, and a Digital out), and a section for "DVD & VCR" (where the composite video out is).

I have connected the "DVD & VCR" LINE OUTS (on the combo unit) to the TV INPUTS. I am able to watch cable, view video cassettes, and control the DVD player with its remote.

But I am having the following problems:

1. I cannot get the TV to display the DVD player's Setup Menu.

2. I cannot play a DVD.

3. I cannot get the TV's remote to control the DVD player (an admittedly minor problem, but with both components from Samsung, most frustrating).

Any ideas? It seems as though the DVD output is not being routed thru the composite outputs, but I am not sure where to go from here.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
It sounds as if the DVD player may be defaulting to the component output, the digital output or both. I had this happen with a cheap DVD player once. In that case, you'll need to connect it to a newer TV long enough to access the setup menu and enable the composite output. :)

Regards,

Joe

Curt Gilker

Agent
Thanks Joe

I think you are right. I used to have this hooked up to a newer TV, and I used the Component outs. Looking at the manual, which is, of course poorly written, there is an "Alt Video Out" that has at least two values: S-Video and Component. Presumably, there is a third value labeled: "Off" or Composite or similar.

I will give it a try.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Don't be insulted by my extremely basic suggestion. It's just worth checking. Are you certain you have switched the TV to the "aux in". You ran the coax from the player to the tv, which would provide regular tv or video tapes. To watch DVDs, you have to switch the TV to the aux (composite) input.

Curt Gilker

Agent
No offended at all. I realize I am getting free help, and am thankful for any ideas / suggestions.

I think I am doing this correctly, as the VCR also uses the same "path" - i.e. the composite connection between the DVD / VCR combo and the TV.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Because of that connection, if you are using the tuner input on the TV, you will get TV as well as VHS, but no DVD. The easy to tell is this. Turn off the VCR/DVD. If you still get something, you need to switch the input on the TV to "Aux" or something like that to watch DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yacubjkc
Recent bookmarks