Older Technics w/out sub output?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by BrianFili, Jan 30, 2005.

1. BrianFili

BrianFili Auditioning

I'm hoping to use my Technics SA-GX750 receiver to run my "planned" HT set-up, however, it doesn't have an output for a sub. I really hate to replace it, it sounds good, has plenty of power, and all my other components are Technics.
    Is there a way to inexpensively add a separate amp through the pre-amp connections to run a sub? I'm looking at adding a Paradigm speaker system, with maybe a Velodyne sub if it can be run from my existing receiver. Of course, after reading about these IB sub systems, that might be an option, too. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

2. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

3. John S

John S Producer

Most sub also have speaker level input. It should work great with your current AVR. The big problem is that your AVR must not be DD 5.1, considered a must by most of us on here as the minimum acceptable surround decoder.

4. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Make sure that whatever sub you buy has 1) speaking in/out connections, 2) a built-in HIGH-PASS crossover.

The crossover will filter bass out of your main speakers so they run more effeciently.

5. BrianFili

BrianFili Auditioning

Thank you Drew, John S and JohnnyG. You've given me some valuable insights into my situation. I'd like to investigate this immediately, but my system's packed away until our new house goes up - after the thaw! I know that my receiver has a removable pin that connects the Main-In to the Pre-Out ( or maybe it's Main-Out to Pre-In) so I'm hoping that'll be my best way to run a sub off this receiver.

6. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

It won't really make a difference unless you use an outboard crossover. It's hard enough finding a sub with a high-pass filter on it's speaker level inputs, and MUCH harder (probably next to impossible) to find one with an HP filter on it's line level inputs.