What's new

Older Technics w/out sub output? (1 Viewer)

BrianFili

Auditioning
I'm hoping to use my Technics SA-GX750 receiver to run my "planned" HT set-up, however, it doesn't have an output for a sub. I really hate to replace it, it sounds good, has plenty of power, and all my other components are Technics.
Is there a way to inexpensively add a separate amp through the pre-amp connections to run a sub? I'm looking at adding a Paradigm speaker system, with maybe a Velodyne sub if it can be run from my existing receiver. Of course, after reading about these IB sub systems, that might be an option, too. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

John S

Senior HTF Member
Most sub also have speaker level input. It should work great with your current AVR. The big problem is that your AVR must not be DD 5.1, considered a must by most of us on here as the minimum acceptable surround decoder.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Make sure that whatever sub you buy has 1) speaking in/out connections, 2) a built-in HIGH-PASS crossover.

The crossover will filter bass out of your main speakers so they run more effeciently.

BrianFili

Auditioning
Thank you Drew, John S and JohnnyG. You've given me some valuable insights into my situation. I'd like to investigate this immediately, but my system's packed away until our new house goes up - after the thaw! I know that my receiver has a removable pin that connects the Main-In to the Pre-Out ( or maybe it's Main-Out to Pre-In) so I'm hoping that'll be my best way to run a sub off this receiver.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
It won't really make a difference unless you use an outboard crossover. It's hard enough finding a sub with a high-pass filter on it's speaker level inputs, and MUCH harder (probably next to impossible) to find one with an HP filter on it's line level inputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks