Older speaker info? and old vs. new?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jose G, Oct 14, 2002.

1. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

Where is a good place to get specs or other info. on older speaker models? I've tried eCoustics, audioreview, and a general yahoo search with no luck. Are there other sites to look at? I'm looking for info on 12 year old speakers for example.

Also, what do people think about older speakers versus newer speakers. Has the technology really made a great difference? I've heard some people say that the older speakers were better or at least better constucted. Any thoughts?

2. Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan Screenwriter

Many old speakers are better than most new ones. Speaker driver technology has changed very little since, oh, 1935. An exception made for the giant stride of the Quad 57 electrostatic speaker back in, ah, 1957. This is mature technology. One fella I know swears that a 1937 Lansing Mfg. studio monitor is the best speaker he ever heard and it's a reasonable statement
    But some things once thought to be bad are now considered good: the new woofers with huge xmaxs. None of the old-time engineers were interested in such things and for good reasons.
    The tools used to make speaker systems have improved though and things can be done quicker and easier than before but not neccesarily better.
    My take is that the very best speakers have improved very little, if at all, since the 1930s but that lesser speakers, small direct-radiators that is, have gotten somewhat better.
    www.chicagohornspeakerclub.org