Older Sony CRT projection vs LCD

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Kevin_Lin, Jul 24, 2003.

1. Kevin_Lin

Kevin_Lin Auditioning

Hello everyone,

I am looking at buying a used Sony VPH-1270Q but I know nothing about these units. I know they are about 6 to 8 yrs old, are they anywhere near the quality of an LCD unit? I am building a dedicated HT room and want to replace my RCA rear projection, is the Sony projection unit a wise idea?

Kindest regards,
    Kevin

2. Bob Maged

Bob Maged Stunt Coordinator

According to the hardcore CRT loyalists a properly set-up used CRT PJ will outperform any LCD or DLP. They always bring up black level. Apparently most of them have never seen the current group of sub-$2K digital projectors and are just repeating their mantra. My Panasonic PT-L200U LCD PJ, combined with a $17 neutral density filter and a $15 color correcting filter, calibrated with Avia, has outstanding inky (not milky) blacks, excellent contrast, and gorgeous shadow detail. I would never recommend a CRT PJ over a new digital model.

3. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

4. Kevin_Lin

Kevin_Lin Auditioning

Thanks

[​IMG]

5. Chris Moe

Chris Moe Screenwriter

6. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I will agree that a CRT FP will out preform the current crop of digital PJ, for now. At the progress rate these digitals are making, I can easily see them matching the performance of the CRT's within the next couple of years.

My main reason for going digital was the small size, I can buy new, easy setup with almost no maintenance, low cost (fit my budget) and the beautiful picture they provide. I came off an ISF'd Mits RPTV and am extremely happy with the 200u.

No matter which display type you go with, there are pro's and con's. Pick the ones you can live with and without, buy it, sit back and enjoy.

Peace Out~[​IMG]