What's new

Older Sony CRT projection vs LCD (1 Viewer)

Kevin_Lin

Auditioning
Hello everyone,

I am looking at buying a used Sony VPH-1270Q but I know nothing about these units. I know they are about 6 to 8 yrs old, are they anywhere near the quality of an LCD unit? I am building a dedicated HT room and want to replace my RCA rear projection, is the Sony projection unit a wise idea?

Kindest regards,
Kevin

Bob Maged

Stunt Coordinator
According to the hardcore CRT loyalists a properly set-up used CRT PJ will outperform any LCD or DLP. They always bring up black level. Apparently most of them have never seen the current group of sub-$2K digital projectors and are just repeating their mantra. My Panasonic PT-L200U LCD PJ, combined with a $17 neutral density filter and a $15 color correcting filter, calibrated with Avia, has outstanding inky (not milky) blacks, excellent contrast, and gorgeous shadow detail. I would never recommend a CRT PJ over a new digital model.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
are they anywhere near the quality of an LCD unit?
CRT projectors require a completely dark room, since they do not have the degree of brightness that LCDs and DLPs have. A properly set up CRT projector produces a better picture than any LCD projector IMO.

Chris Moe

Screenwriter
Apparently most of them have never seen the current group of sub-$2K digital projectors and are just repeating their mantra.
Apparantly not. I have seen plenty of the current crop of digitals and would take a CRT over any of them any day of the week. No screen door, better blacks, better shadow detail, better "3D" image (digitals look flat to me)

Apparently the digital guys listen to all the other digital guys who have never seen a CRT and are just repeating the same their mantra over and over.

If you have a room where you can control the light, don't mind setting aside a few hours to set it up, and want the best image quality (IMHO) then go CRT. The 1270 is great starter CRT seeing how it is one of the easier ones to set up.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I will agree that a CRT FP will out preform the current crop of digital PJ, for now. At the progress rate these digitals are making, I can easily see them matching the performance of the CRT's within the next couple of years.

My main reason for going digital was the small size, I can buy new, easy setup with almost no maintenance, low cost (fit my budget) and the beautiful picture they provide. I came off an ISF'd Mits RPTV and am extremely happy with the 200u.

No matter which display type you go with, there are pro's and con's. Pick the ones you can live with and without, buy it, sit back and enjoy.

Peace Out~:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks